Allow download (or sync) from local LAN

mstanton

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
What would be really useful to me--and save a LOT of time--would be to allow a download (or sync) of the map updates via LOCAL LAN.
For example:
Step 1) I have a windows computer that is connected to the Internet via a Very Fast (wired) Internet connection. I use this connection to update my maps, etc.
I could then:
Step 2) update my other licensed devices via my LOCAL LAN connection to my local Windows computer. Therefore I don't have to go out via WiFi or Cell (both MUCH slower) connection, only to again download the SAME information.

Seems a no-brainer for iFly to want to 1) save bandwidth for double or triple downloads to the same customer, and to 2) offer a greatly improved service to the customer in the form of a much faster option to update.
Note that I'm not trying to skirt license issues here--I don't really care how you authenticate the secondary connections--I just want to make this easier and faster.

Thanks for listening.

What would be really useful to me--and save a LOT of time--would be to allow a download (or sync) of the map updates via LOCAL LAN.
For example:
Step 1) I have a windows computer that is connected to the Internet via a Very Fast (wired) Internet connection. I use this connection to update my maps, etc.
I could then:
Step 2) update my other licensed devices via my LOCAL LAN connection to my local Windows computer. Therefore I don't have to go out via WiFi or Cell (both MUCH slower) connection, only to again download the SAME information.

Seems a no-brainer for iFly to want to 1) save bandwidth for double or triple downloads to the same customer, and to 2) offer a greatly improved service to the customer in the form of a much faster option to update.
Note that I'm not trying to skirt license issues here--I don't really care how you authenticate the secondary connections--I just want to make this easier and faster.

Thanks for listening.
Great idea! I like the idea of downloading map data once from "the source" and storing it locally, then syncing ALL of my iFly devices from my locally stored data. Perhaps enabling a checkbox option when performing a local LAN sync from one of devices that has the latest map updates. It could compare the date of the map update and warn if you are attempting to overwrite with an map update older than the one already on the device you are syncing to.

Any recognition of this request (better yet) any movement?

Any recognition of this request (better yet) any movement?
Not that I recall--but I'll add a "third" to Gatormyk's second. I think it's a great idea.

I have iFly running on FIVE--yes, 5--devices: iPhone, iPad, 740, 740b, Windows laptop. (Normally I use only two in flight, but have had four running a few times just for fun.)

It would greatly simplify my navigation life if I could download maps and data to one device and then share it directly to the others when they're all on the same wifi network.

Here's a fourth request for the network sharing update feature - I'd use it every update cycle across the four devices - 740, two tablets, and the Windows box where I do flight planning.

When you keep one device in the plane at the airport, fast connectivity to download large map and data updates can be limited. My partner and i each keep one device at home for flight planning. Sharing small flight plan files is easy enough. Maybe the devices could also share the updated map data files between themselves, too.

Back