Calculations Questions

bobw75087

Reaction score
Just looked at a recent flight plan with 8 landings at different airports... 3:00 hours total calculated flight time. Interestingly, that did not change one iota when I went in and added a landing at 7 of those airports. It quoted EXACTLY the same amount of time. Which makes me wonder about the calculations for the Flight Plan, and for fuel.

Nominally, most programs seem to calculate (and I think the Weight & Balance part of IFly does too) about 7lbs. (about a gallon) of fuel for taxi and departure from the initial airport. If that were true at each of the 7 airports where I landed, not only would the flight time be off, but it would seem the fuel calculations might be off by as much as 5-6 gallons (7 x .8 =5.6). And that amount could be a make or break on a long, complicated flight.

Can you please look at how the program is operating with regard to these issues, and at least let us know IF and HOW it might be calculating the added time and fuel involved in each/multiple landings and takeoffs? At least then we could add a factor to what the plan shows us.

Also, this seems like a good place to drop another hint that it would be great if we had a box to add Starting fFuel (or pull it from W&B usable fuel) and then to calculate Fuel Remaining for each leg -- showing the balance remaining vs the consumption add-ups. Additionally, IF an airport in the Flight Plan is selected as a fuel stop, a box should pop up next to it for FUEL ADDED, to then be included in the calculations remaining.

Interesting. I just id a similar process as paragraph one and adding a landing at each airport didn’t change the plan (eta, fuel,…) at all. I should have see the delay caused by the additional climbs and the increase in fuel burn.

Back