Crosswinds

imrah

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
I was at my EAA chapter VMC meeting tonight and one of the scenarios we discussed was severe turbulence and low fuel and what the best options were.

Given the winds and gusts reported by AWOS at the various airports I thought, while looking at the weather info, it would be nice if next to the wind direction and speed it displayed the crosswind component (maybe the crosswind component during gusts too). Can't be difficult too add I wouldn't think ?

Also, during the same scenario, I drew distance lines to the alternate airports, which was useful, but would have been more useful if there were an option to have it display cruise fuel consumption based on the aircraft configuration selected in the flight plan, distance and wind. Also not something that I think would be difficult to add given that the calculations are already built into the s/ware.

Given the winds and gusts reported by AWOS at the various airports I thought, while looking at the weather info, it would be nice if next to the wind direction and speed it displayed the crosswind component (maybe the crosswind component during gusts too). Can't be difficult too add I wouldn't think ?
You mean, like what iFly already does?

1) Tap an airport to get the QuickView showing the preferred runway and winds:
1682503520463.png

2) Then tap the "Rwy" button for more details:
1682503557739.png

Note the slider on the right, showing that the pane with the runways listed can be scrolled if there are multiple runways:
1682503651716.png

If gusts are reported, that information is also included:
1682503784796.png
1682503802653.png

Last edited:
Huh, who knew :)
I tried tapping but but didn't get any popups. I'll have to try that again.

Thanks.

I really like the Runway crosswind quick view. Use it almost all time now when approach to strange airport or even familiar one. Allows some time for planning rather than spending your time looking for the sock.. It takes a little recliner time to understand the orientation of the arrows and how to interpret crosswind/ ,headwind, but makes sense when you get you head straight.

I really like the Runway crosswind quick view. Use it almost all time now when approach to strange airport or even familiar one. Allows some time for planning rather than spending your time looking for the sock.. It takes a little recliner time to understand the orientation of the arrows and how to interpret crosswind/ ,headwind, but makes sense when you get you head straight.
Thanks for saying that.

You might be interested to learn that the Beta test team had very lengthy discussions in the 2018/2019 timeframe about the best way to display this information. That's probably the most prominent example of how Adventure Pilot solicits and uses the opinions of its user community to help improve the utility of their product, though there have been many, many other examples of that symbiosis through the years as well.

I strongly believe that's one of the strengths that Adventure Pilot has over many of its competitors.

Last edited:
You mean, like what iFly already does?

1) Tap an airport to get the QuickView showing the preferred runway and winds:
View attachment 39

2) Then tap the "Rwy" button for more details:
View attachment 40

Note the slider on the right, showing that the pane with the runways listed can be scrolled if there are multiple runways:
View attachment 41

If gusts are reported, that information is also included:
View attachment 42
View attachment 43
I'd like it if this information was provided at fields that did not have AWOS/ASOS/ATIS. Could it be implemented similarly to how the WX button is done at such airports, where it shows the weather info from the nearest airport (within some kind of distance "guideline") that does have AWOS/ASOS/ATIS? Or is there some kind of liability to provide such information? If feasible, should this be a separate feature request?

My hangar is at KSWI, north of the DFW area, and it has no weather reporting system. I generally use the ATIS at KGYI. If you click on the WX button when KSWI is selected, it displays the weather info at KGYI (by default) and indicates that the WX info is coming from there. Would like to see something similar for a "RWY" button for KSWI (which currently doesn't exist).

I'd like it if this information was provided at fields that did not have AWOS/ASOS/ATIS. Could it be implemented similarly to how the WX button is done at such airports, where it shows the weather info from the nearest airport (within some kind of distance "guideline") that does have AWOS/ASOS/ATIS?
I like this idea for providing runway wind/crosswind information at airports without weather stations. Maybe a disclaimer when the Rwy button is pushed to note that wind information is coming from Kxyz station. Upvoted.

Tony

Back