Minimum tablet requirements?

PA28-140/160

Reaction score
Since my 740 is in the shop again for repairs, I was considering getting the subscription upgrade to multi-platform and using a tablet for a backup. A backup now, but in the future, if/when NMEA out is supported on a tablet, I would go EFB and use the 740 as a backup. My question is, what are the minumum requirements for a tablet (i.e. speed, memory, etc.) In particular, can it run on an older Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with 32GB (expandable with micro SD) running Android 6.0? This one has a pretty bright screen (necessary for FL sun) but don't know if it's up to the task otherwise. Not ready to spend big bucks until I know how things will shake out on the NMEA question.
Thanks for any help out there.
Rob

Since it sounds like you're going to go to a tablet regardless, why not just do the multi-platform upgrade and try it on your Tab S2?

Hi Hook and thanks for the comeback. My biggest concern is that I need the NMEA out info for my AV-30's. I get it now through the 740 but going forward, it may or may not be available through iFly EFB. I was inquiring about the compatibility with the Tab S2 because I have a lead on one that I can get from a non-pilot friend. I just thought I would check to see if anyone had either, experience with this tablet, or what the minimum requirements might be so I could pre-determine whether or not to try it out. Not knowing how I'm going to get the NMEA in the future, I'm not ready to spend $500-$1000 on a high end tablet just to run iFly EFB. Using it as a backup to the 740 until I need to make a decision makes sense as the multi-platform upgrade is reasonably priced. I just need to know if I can do it on a lower end tablet. I have always loved the iFly GPS software as it is so intuitive and hope that they make the NMEA available from the EFB in the future.

Since my 740 is in the shop again for repairs, I was considering getting the subscription upgrade to multi-platform and using a tablet for a backup. A backup now, but in the future, if/when NMEA out is supported on a tablet, I would go EFB and use the 740 as a backup. My question is, what are the minumum requirements for a tablet (i.e. speed, memory, etc.) In particular, can it run on an older Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with 32GB (expandable with micro SD) running Android 6.0? This one has a pretty bright screen (necessary for FL sun) but don't know if it's up to the task otherwise. Not ready to spend big bucks until I know how things will shake out on the NMEA question.
Thanks for any help out there.
Rob

You do not need the multi-platform upgrade to use one phone/tablet device in conjunction with an iFly portable.

From the iFly EFB website (here):
The base subscription may be installed on up to 2 devices of the same platform - either 2 Android or 2 iOS devices. In addition 1 iFly Portable device may be included in the base subscription.

I have used a Tab S2, and am now using a Tab A - The S2 is the better tablet, and it worked OK in the C182.
I'm also waiting for way to get NMEA out of a tablet ...

I'll add my 2 cents. I've used a Samsung Tab A 8" 2019 model. #SM-T290 I paid $119.00 brand new and used it without ADS-B and just the internal GPS at first. Later I added a Stratus 3 to my setup. Compared to other pilots who have the 740, I'm happier with my setup. Since the Samsung is so cheap, I dedicated it to flying but I also won't be too annoyed if I break it compared to the cost of a iPad.

Back