Newbie EFB issues

Flybuddy

Reaction score
Longtime 700, 720, 740 portable user but have a lifetime FLYQ so haven't been using IFLYEFB but thought I'd take a shot and see what's new. Unfortunately, both ways on todays flight showed a constant "Weak GPS Signal" and screen was mostly frozen. Checked settings and restarted multiple times. Toggling back and forth to FLYQ, everything working fine on FLYQ as always with no weak GPS issues and have had same Stratux ( purchased from IFLY with external puck) and iPad Pro for years. I double checked the IFLYEFB settings and it showed connected to Stratux. The 740 also works fine from the Stratux (yes, I know it has its own GPS). Not sure why FLYQ app would work perfectly while the IFLY app would not on same hardware at same time. Another minor issue was that I could only get track and bearing instrument fields as TRUE not MAGNETIC. Seems odd, especially as you can get MAGNETIC on the 740. Any suggestions (other than blaming hardware), appreciated...thx

Longtime 700, 720, 740 portable user but have a lifetime FLYQ so haven't been using IFLYEFB but thought I'd take a shot and see what's new. Unfortunately, both ways on todays flight showed a constant "Weak GPS Signal" and screen was mostly frozen. Checked settings and restarted multiple times. Toggling back and forth to FLYQ, everything working fine on FLYQ as always with no weak GPS issues and have had same Stratux ( purchased from IFLY with external puck) and iPad Pro for years. I double checked the IFLYEFB settings and it showed connected to Stratux. The 740 also works fine from the Stratux (yes, I know it has its own GPS). Not sure why FLYQ app would work perfectly while the IFLY app would not on same hardware at same time. Another minor issue was that I could only get track and bearing instrument fields as TRUE not MAGNETIC. Seems odd, especially as you can get MAGNETIC on the 740. Any suggestions (other than blaming hardware), appreciated...thx
I am not a "data communications guy" when it comes to WIFI but it sounds like you are trying to connect two separate apps on your Ipad, to a single data source (Stratux). I have no idea whether the Ipad can handle this configuration. One test to try, is to disable the FLYQ app and fly with just the IFLYEFB. Report back to us. I'd be curious as to the results.
My $.02 tonight.
Steve

I am not a "data communications guy" when it comes to WIFI but it sounds like you are trying to connect two separate apps on your Ipad, to a single data source (Stratux). I have no idea whether the Ipad can handle this configuration. One test to try, is to disable the FLYQ app and fly with just the IFLYEFB. Report back to us. I'd be curious as to the results.
My $.02 tonight.
Steve
Thx, good thought. I did try completely shutting down flyQ. Didn't make any difference. The Ipad in plane is solely for plane and there's almost no other apps on it either. Normally you can run multiple apps off a single wifi source. FLYQ worked perfectly well with IFLY running in the background. I'm a volunteer at SunNFun, I guess I'll be at the booth trying to figure this out along with why there's no magnetic bearing and track.

Update, flew again today and IFLY worked perfectly well with full GPS signal. Nothing changed, no idea why. Still trying to figure out why the instrument group does not have magnetic bearing and track. All other apps, the IFLY740 and ATC use magnetic.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
I have a Stratux that I use when flying with someone else, in their airplane. I had some intermittent connectivity issues with it, until I bought a "fast charge" USB cable. The new cable appears to be somewhat thicker due to the larger gauge wire, inside. I use a USB flat pack battery(Lurbon) for power. The Stratux will get warm and guessing that it draws a little more current than the normal USB cable can handle.

In my airplane, I have a Levil ADSB receiver that WIFI connects to one iPad (running the IFLYEFB) and a uAvionix Echo ADSB that WIFI connects to a second iPad (running the IFLEFB app). Never have had any issues with two WIFI networks running simultaneously.

Steve

Under Menu/setup/units of measure do you have compass set to magnetic or true north?
Thank you! didn't realize that was there and that it would impact the instrument fields (thought there would be options in the instrument fields of true or magnetic). It's apparently set to True by default. Anyhow, that fixed it, thanks again

Last edited:
I have a Stratux that I use when flying with someone else, in their airplane. I had some intermittent connectivity issues with it, until I bought a "fast charge" USB cable. The new cable appears to be somewhat thicker due to the larger gauge wire, inside. I use a USB flat pack battery(Lurbon) for power. The Stratux will get warm and guessing that it draws a little more current than the normal USB cable can handle.

In my airplane, I have a Levil ADSB receiver that WIFI connects to one iPad (running the IFLYEFB) and a uAvionix Echo ADSB that WIFI connects to a second iPad (running the IFLEFB app). Never have had any issues with two WIFI networks running simultaneously.

Steve
Thanks, my Stratux is hard wired and has been trouble free. Whatever issues I have with IFLY, I can close it out and go to FLYQ which works fine so that should take any Stratux hardware problems out of the loop unless it's a compatibility issue. On a flight today I noticed the traffic not working on IFLY EFB, the traffic was showing at the same time on IFLY 740 and FLYQ. I checked settings and traffic was turned on, GPS and ADSB signals showed full. Not sure why it's been glitchy but I'm going to delete the app and re-download it on the next update cycle.

Back