Provide a "Cancel" button in W&B, or change the behavior of the "Close" button

Hook

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
[Edit:]
Maybe forget this suggestion, and what I wrote (below). I just now noticed that the Options button changes to "Revert" after a change is made. However, I think it's still a valid point that if the user clicks the Close button (which is what I was doing, since I didn't notice (3 times!) the change in the lefthand button from Options to Revert), that they be prompted as to whether they want the changes saved. But it's not a big point, since there is a way to get out without saving changes.

[Original post:]
Sometimes I just want to try some different numbers in the W&B calculator. I don't want to make these numbers the default (or "a record"). I'm just checking something out. After I make the changes and want to exit (without saving) I have these button options: "Options", "Save Record", and "Close". The only logical choice is the Close button. And I expect that when I click that button it will either discard my changes (since I didn't click on Save Record) or I will be prompted as to whether I want to do a save. But instead, it just saves the changes and exits. It doesn't seem right that there's no way to get out without changes being saved. So, we need the Close button to prompt before saving, or we need a Cancel button.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up -- this is confusing. I've modified the layout/text to look like this now:

1684548332124.png

And after you make an edit, the buttons then change to this:

1684548363161.png

Summary of changes:
1. "Save Record" is now "Create Record" to eliminate the confusion of connotation "Save"
2. "<< REVERT" is now middle, not left, NEXT TO the close button, AND Highlighted -- to help you notice it.
3. "Close" button then changes to "Save/Close" to ensure you know you are "Saving your work and closing".

Hopefully, this eliminates more than 90% of the cause of confusion.

That seems clearer. I guess you're working with limited space for the buttons (and text on the buttons), yet trying to get multiple things done: create a W&B "record " (or not), provide options, close without changes having been made, undo changes, and save changes to the default W&B. So I guess ya gotta go with what you came up with. But if you had room for 4 buttons, I would make them: Options, Create Record, Save [to Default], and Cancel. To me, that seems most straightforward. Or maybe: Options, Create Record, Update, and Cancel. Anyway, you're the keeper of UI style and consistency. Thanks.

Back