Simultaneous connection to 2 different wifi sources

Alpine Gyro

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
I pretty much know the answer to this but perhaps one of the geniuses on this board may have a solution. Running iFLYEFB on an iPad in the aircraft. Aircraft has 2 wifi sources of ADSB-In. One provides Wx, TFRs, etc. but NO TRAFFIC (TIS-B). The other source provides Traffic only.

Right now I have to manually connect the iPad wifi to one to retrieve the weather, disconnect and reconnect the iPad wifi to get the traffic. Is there any way to connect to both different wifi sources simultaneously? Thinking the answer is "no" can you think of any solution to get wx & traffic with existing equipment?

As far as I understand apple devices, there is not a way to connect to two wifi connections. However, there are some ADS-B devices that output both 978 & 1090 Data from one wifi connection check out Stratus 3 / Levil AstroLink.

I don't think there's any practical way to consume data from two different wifi sources. Can you provide more information about what your sources are? I think it's unlikely, but I'm wondering if you might be able to feed one source into the other somehow, and then just consume the data via one source.

I don't think there's any practical way to consume data from two different wifi sources. Can you provide more information about what your sources are? I think it's unlikely, but I'm wondering if you might be able to feed one source into the other somehow, and then just consume the data via one source.

Ok, here goes: Dynon Skyview HDX with SV-ADSB-470 module which successfully provides all ADSB-In info to the Skyview display. My iFlyEFB connects to Dynon's wifi and receives all ADSB Wx etc. but DOES NOT receive TIS-B (traffic). Dynon thinks it's an iFly problem/Adventure Pilot thinks it's a Dynon problem - neither has a solution :-(

In order to get Traffic on the iPad running iFlyEFB I installed a uAvionix PingUSB which produces it's own wifi signal but only provides Traffic (TIS-B) not Wx.

So with this setup, depending on which wifi signal it connects to my iFlyEFB can either get Wx or Traffic but not both simultaneously.

So your Dynon Skyview gets Wx + TIS-B from the SV-ADSB-470, and displays it properly? In that case it sounds like the whole ADSB dataset is available inside the Dynon, so it's just some sort of comm interface issue between the Dynon and iFly. Theoretically, that should be a solveable problem if the right person(s) get(s) or is motivated to figure out the right information.

Sounds like you've already been talking with iFly folks about this issue. Did you capture an ADSB log and send it to them in a bug report? That might help isolate whether this issue truly lives on the Dynon or iFly side of the interface.

So your Dynon Skyview gets Wx + TIS-B from the SV-ADSB-470, and displays it properly? In that case it sounds like the whole ADSB dataset is available inside the Dynon, so it's just some sort of comm interface issue between the Dynon and iFly. Theoretically, that should be a solveable problem if the right person(s) get(s) or is motivated to figure out the right information.

Sounds like you've already been talking with iFly folks about this issue. Did you capture an ADSB log and send it to them in a bug report? That might help isolate whether this issue truly lives on the Dynon or iFly side of the interface.
Yes you understand correctly...whole ADSB dataset is available & displays properly inside Dynon. I agree completely it is an interface issue between iFly (which claims it interfaces with Dynon) and Dynon. I went back & forth awhile back with Brolin when he was there & sent ADSB log etc. He said he would take it to the programmer. Dynon's stance (I agree with them) it all works fine in their box - not their problem.

Yes you understand correctly...whole ADSB dataset is available & displays properly inside Dynon. I agree completely it is an interface issue between iFly (which claims it interfaces with Dynon) and Dynon. I went back & forth awhile back with Brolin when he was there & sent ADSB log etc. He said he would take it to the programmer.
You might want to try again...Brolin's not there anymore, and something may have fallen through the cracks.

Dynon's stance (I agree with them) it all works fine in their box - not their problem.
Maybe, maybe not. If they're not sending a properly-formatted output, then it could still be on Dynon. 🤷‍♂️ The ADSB log should answer that question.

Last edited:
You might want to try again...Brolin's not there anymore, and something may have fallen through the cracks.

Maybe, maybe not. If they're not sending a properly-formatted output, then it could still be on Dynon. 🤷‍♂️ The ADSB log should answer that question.
iOS ver 12.1.6

Ok bug reported and ADSB & other log files sent to support. As can be seen in photos TIS-B is not being received from Dynon by iFly while all other ADSB info is received.

New problem, also reported: moving map locks up & won't respond to touch screen input when ADSB logging is enabled!

Attachments

• Image8493309087401676946.jpg
    Image8493309087401676946.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Image5559728453721287132.jpg
    Image5559728453721287132.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 4
Not sure what kind of aircraft you have, but there was an issue with the certified skyview products that was solved in the experimental version after 15.4 or .5. There was talk it would be fixed in v.16 of the certified os, but not sure if that happened or not. Buddy had a CTLS and he sold it before the certified fix came out. Exact same issue. Saw it with FF as well as iFly.

To rule out iFly, download the free version of an EFB, like flightplango and test. If it works there, knock on APs door. If not, time to ping Dynon.

Not sure what kind of aircraft you have, but there was an issue with the certified skyview products that was solved in the experimental version after 15.4 or .5. There was talk it would be fixed in v.16 of the certified os, but not sure if that happened or not. Buddy had a CTLS and he sold it before the certified fix came out. Exact same issue. Saw it with FF as well as iFly.

To rule out iFly, download the free version of an EFB, like flightplango and test. If it works there, knock on APs door. If not, time to ping Dynon.
Brilliant suggestion - I will try it with flightplango & see what happens. Thanks!

Brilliant suggestion - I will try it with flightplango & see what happens. Thanks!
After some ping-pong emails with both iFly and Dynon on this issue it was determined that the iFly is NOT AT FAULT! Dynon found that their SV-ADSB-470 ADSB-In unit does not send TIS-B (traffic info) into their wifi stream (it does send weather) - it just provides traffic into their Dynon products. This was never mentioned in their marketing. Dynon stopped selling that unit and has an upgraded version the SV-ADSB-472 which does now transmit both traffic & weather via wifi. They have made me a reasonable financial offer to upgrade to their improved unit which I plan to do.

Back