Tablet iPad/Samsung

Hugh

Reaction score
I’ve read all related posts so just want to clarify several points:
1. I have a suitable IPad but will purchase a back up. My understanding is the basic subscription can be loaded on 2 tablets but they have to be the same system, correct? Can’t have an iPad and a Samsung?
2. How do you know your tablet has an internal GPS and will work without an external GPS like Garmin GDL 39? They all have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth correct? Do they need Cel signal capability?

If your tablet is an iPad, look in Settings to see if there is a Cellular Data tab. If there is, the tablet has a GPS. If not, it doesn't. (I'm pretty sure that's correct--it's true for the iPads in our house, only one of which has the cell+GPS hardware--although I'm not absolutely certain.)

A cellular iPad does not need a cell contract for the GPS to work. But the cell hardware is necessary for the GPS.

I’ve read all related posts so just want to clarify several points:
1. I have a suitable IPad but will purchase a back up. My understanding is the basic subscription can be loaded on 2 tablets but they have to be the same system, correct? Can’t have an iPad and a Samsung?
2. How do you know your tablet has an internal GPS and will work without an external GPS like Garmin GDL 39? They all have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth correct? Do they need Cel signal capability?
Response to your 1: Base subscription allows 2 devices on same platform (2 Apple, 2 Android, 2 Windows). So "yes" to both of your questions.
Response to your 2: You will need to check the specs of the device. As Don stated above, Apple iPads that are cell-capable have an enabled GPS chip which works with or without cell service enabled on the device. With Android (or Windows) tablets, you will need to check the hardware specs of the specific tablet. For your second question: it depends. I believe all Apple tablets do. You will have to check the hardware specs on devices other than Apple. For the third question: it depends. see the first part of my response to this question.

I don't want to start the "which is better Ford/Chevy?" debate, but I would like to offer my experience and why/what I chose to do. Again this is "me" and what works for "me". You may find this helpful or you may choose to go another route. I don't have a horse in this race. ;)

I personally found the iPAD route too expensive and ended up in the android world. Plus I read a lot of people talking about them overheating and shutting down in cockpits. That just sound like a problem to avoid.

My first requirement was that I wanted to dedicate the tablet to flying. I didn't want it to be something I would used for non-flying tasks. Why dedicate it? I work in IT and didn't want to load non-flying related applications that could reduce the operational performance or stability of the tablet. I've seen too many apps cause minor things like shorten battery life, to more annoying random reboots or device lockups. So by dedicating the tablet to flying, I needed a cost effective yet reliable option.

I too wanted a tablet with Integrated GPS. While I also use a Stratus III for GPS and ADS-B IN, I may not necessarily need GPS in the tablet, but I wanted it for backup in case the Stratus III failed for some reason etc...

After looking at dozens of devices, obviously the Android tablet market is flooded with cheap no-name stuff, I even looked at Amazon Fire but they don't have GPS. I then found the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 to be a good size (for me) and available in 2020 for $129. It was also available in silver/white which keeps the heat gain lower. I've never had it shutdown, even when flying in TX at 112°F last July. Don't ask 🥵 Samsung also avoids the no-name tablet problem and they've continued to provide Android OS updates even now. Sure, it's not as bright as the new dedicated device from AP but in my high wing aircraft and occasional use in a Piper Archer, I've never felt like it was hard to see. If you fly a full glass canopy, maybe this would be a deal breaker.

Again, this was my experience of my journey. Others may have different needs.

For your convenience I've attached a photo. I personally wish I could mount this elsewhere but my yoke wasn't a good spot, and this was the only place it didn't obstruct instruments. Thankfully my left hand still clears it with room to spare regardless of yoke position.

1698935855552.png

I don't want to start the "which is better Ford/Chevy?" debate, but I would like to offer my experience and why/what I chose to do. Again this is "me" and what works for "me". You may find this helpful or you may choose to go another route. I don't have a horse in this race. ;)

I personally found the iPAD route too expensive and ended up in the android world. Plus I read a lot of people talking about them overheating and shutting down in cockpits. That just sound like a problem to avoid.

My first requirement was that I wanted to dedicate the tablet to flying. I didn't want it to be something I would used for non-flying tasks. Why dedicate it? I work in IT and didn't want to load non-flying related applications that could reduce the operational performance or stability of the tablet. I've seen too many apps cause minor things like shorten battery life, to more annoying random reboots or device lockups. So by dedicating the tablet to flying, I needed a cost effective yet reliable option.

I too wanted a tablet with Integrated GPS. While I also use a Stratus III for GPS and ADS-B IN, I may not necessarily need GPS in the tablet, but I wanted it for backup in case the Stratus III failed for some reason etc...

After looking at dozens of devices, obviously the Android tablet market is flooded with cheap no-name stuff, I even looked at Amazon Fire but they don't have GPS. I then found the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 to be a good size (for me) and available in 2020 for $129. It was also available in silver/white which keeps the heat gain lower. I've never had it shutdown, even when flying in TX at 112°F last July. Don't ask 🥵 Samsung also avoids the no-name tablet problem and they've continued to provide Android OS updates even now. Sure, it's not as bright as the new dedicated device from AP but in my high wing aircraft and occasional use in a Piper Archer, I've never felt like it was hard to see. If you fly a full glass canopy, maybe this would be a deal breaker.

Again, this was my experience of my journey. Others may have different needs.

For your convenience I've attached a photo. I personally wish I could mount this elsewhere but my yoke wasn't a good spot, and this was the only place it didn't obstruct instruments. Thankfully my left hand still clears it with room to spare regardless of yoke position.

View attachment 467
Thank you, that answered questions I still had. And a direction I was considering.
Do you happen to know:
Which Samsung Galaxy tab 8 you have? I see:
Tab A8, 64 GB, 10.5 inch $219.00
Galaxy Tab A8, 32 GB, 10.5 $169.

Is there a difference between Tab & Galaxy Tab?

Thank you, that answered questions I still had. And a direction I was considering.
Do you happen to know:
Which Samsung Galaxy tab 8 you have? I see:
Tab A8, 64 GB, 10.5 inch $219.00
Galaxy Tab A8, 32 GB, 10.5 $169.

Is there a difference between Tab & Galaxy Tab?
I have Model: SM-T290 Name: Galaxy Tab A (8.0" 2019)
This model still works well for me but is 4 year old technology. I also see that, like my Grocery bill, these now cost $40 more than when I bought mine.

A "2021" option that I think is their next 8" Samsung is the Galaxy Tab A7 Light. It is almost exactly the same dimensions but has a smaller bezel so that means it includes a slightly larger screen. These seem to be selling for approximately $100 to $116 on Amazon depending on WiFi Only or WiFi+Cellular. It also shows that it includes an electronic compass circuit which might help some of the data logging aspects if you happen to use flight tracking apps like CloudAhoy.

Oops I was looking at the wrong screen. It looks like the newer Tab A7 Lite is ranging from $119 to $129. That still less than the older Tab A (8.0" 2019).

Just for the record, I have a clear, unobstructed canopy with no shade for tablets or phones and have never had an iPad or iPhone shut down from overheating. Once or twice an early iPhone went close to dark in full sunlight--was just barely legible--but that hasn't happened in about 8 or 10 years.

Just for the record, I have a clear, unobstructed canopy with no shade for tablets or phones and have never had an iPad or iPhone shut down from overheating. Once or twice an early iPhone went close to dark in full sunlight--was just barely legible--but that hasn't happened in about 8 or 10 years.
YMMV, My first tablet was an iPad (2013 variety) that shut down in our C182 several times during one trip from OK to MA. When we arrived I left it with the grand kids. Replaced it with a Tab S2. The Tab S2 has shut down a couple of times between then and this year. It is now replaced with the Tripltek, which is not in-expensive, and we haven't had it long enough for a fair test, but it is hands down the best display of iFly of all the devices, the 740 included.

Thanks for the Tripltek pirep, Don. I plan on getting either that or the tablet that AP is going to be selling to replace the 740 in my panel. It doesn't matter to me who makes it as long as it works well.

Thanks for the Tripltek pirep, Don. I plan on getting either that or the tablet that AP is going to be selling to replace the 740 in my panel. It doesn't matter to me who makes it as long as it works well.
The advantage of the AP tablet is that it will have a serial out to drive an autopilot. The advantage of the Tripltek is that it's specs say it's brighter.
I'd have to see them both side-by-side in full sunlight to say for sure whether the difference is significant.

Yeah. I've taken to wrapping a piece of black fabric around my left knee and lower leg to kill reflections off my pants or skin when the sun's out. That makes the 740 in the panel seem a lot brighter. The iPad Mini 6 has almost no reflectivity at all, so that's never much of a problem.

Back