Using a *new Dual ADSB receiver.

mstanton

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
The iFly EFB works great with my Dual XGPS 170.
Now however, I just purchased a much newer Dual XGPS 190 unit to use. I cannot get the iFly to connect with the NEW unit. I can successfully pair the unit to my phone. I can also use the 'Dual status tool' app to connect to both the 170 and 190, (one at a time) and it reports status of both the 170 and 190 to the app on the phone. The 190 is therefore successfully paired and connected to the phone. iFly, however does not see the unit. I have tried:
1) to 'reset/reconnect' to no avail and
2) I have tried to change the selected device to something different, so that I can then change back to the Dual XGPS. (There is only one setting for Dual devices within iFly)

The ADSB status never changes, and never connects. Just keeps 'Waiting for Device'

Ideas as to what is failing?
iFly Version is 12.0.28 (dated 3/26/2023)

Waiting for device usually means your not receiving the signal (I know, duh) but check your settings (Bluetooth or WiFi) and make sure you're pointed at the right one. Your 190 will have a diff digital address than the 170; it may be still talking to the 170 when you want the 190. Just a thought...

You can connect via Bluetooth, but aren't you supposed to be WiFi connected to an ADS-B In device (Dual, in this case)?

Also, what kind of device are you using? (iFly 74x, Android device, IOS device). I understand that the 740x units are finicky about switching WiFi connections.

The Dual units connect via Bluetooth. Not with WiFi.
Using Android iFly Version is 12.0.28 (dated 3/26/2023)
From the Dual web site:
"Bluetooth Advantage over Wi–Fi
Because the XGPS190 uses Bluetooth, the Wi-Fi connection on your device is left free for other uses, such as connecting to the Internet (for weather services, flight plan updates, etc.) or to another accessory. There are no hassles with switching between networks and no service interruptions when using Bluetooth connection."

Got it! Well, at least a workaround...
Had to DELETE the Bluetooth connection for the 170. :unsure: Go figure...
Thanks to all for their replies.

I have both the 170 and the 190. My 170 is an older unit that is only single band. Therefore I have only been only using the 190. I don’t recall any real problems getting it to connect. Going to settings and connecting first usually makes things work better. I do have to tap the ADSB status window to get the Dual to connect. I don’t need to do that every time, but sometimes.

I have not had good luck with the AHRS feature. Please post your experience.

With all these electronics, telling it to forget then re-learn fixes things.

Try selecting "Dual" instead of "Auto Detect". If that doesn't work, please send us a bug report a few minutes after starting the app, with the Dual connected (Menu -> About -> Send Bug Report)

**edit**, I see you got it figured out. Nice catch. I'll leave this reply for future readers. ;-)

My normal setup is to have Dual selected for ADSB, because that is what I have. I have also used the auto select setting, both work. Maybe I am just impatient and I start taping around 😁.

I realize iFly has several functions that have to be started, including ADSB. I have never had an experience where it did not connect.

These iPad can “forget” things like WiFi passwords, etc. Knowing how to “slap it on the side of the head” is a must for everyone.

I have been an iFly user since the product was introduced. I would not have it any other way.

I have both the 170 and the 190. My 170 is an older unit that is only single band.
Yes, this is why I purchased the dual band 190. Got tired of the tower pointing out traffic that I did not see on the tablet. :cautious:
I have not had good luck with the AHRS feature. Please post your experience.

Don't really intend on using the AHRS feature...
With all these electronics, telling it to forget then re-learn fixes things.

Back