740 battery power supplement

CFC

Reaction score
I am trying to use my 740B in training aircraft. To try and avoid the issues of numerous wires I tried a hard wire attached to a AGM 12v battery. The 740 disconnects after about 30 seconds. I believe it is because the battery fully charged is putting out 12.52 volts. Maybe I need a resistor or something to tame the voltage?

Maybe someone from iFly can provide more detailed help, but 12.52V should be a perfectly good voltage. Back when I used a 720, I had it plugged into ship's power, which in my plane was 13.9V. Pretty sure others have their 740(b) units wired into ship's power today with similar voltages. Also, the external battery that AP used to sell would put out 12.6V when fully charged.

Do you have a model # for your battery, and/or its specifications? Could it be that the battery is undersized and can't supply the 1.5 amps the 740(b) requires?

Battery is an odyssey 310 / cca-100-PHCA-310, I tried to revive after accidently draining it dead. (in the airplane a "master switch type issue" sense resolved battery replaced) But apparently the restore didn't take, the battery shows completely charged but it apparently it is failing to consistently provide power. I used a different battery, and all seems well. It should last the 720 for at least 12 hours. My 720 has been back to the factory twice it seems like the power plug receptacle is loose, and the internal batteries used to last 30 minutes, seem to fail after 5 minutes or the unit shuts down immediately after any power interruption. I still like IFLY over Foreflight, I guess I am just stubborn. I may buy a new 720 to see if those issues have been fixed in later models. Thanks for the response.

My 720 has been back to the factory twice it seems like the power plug receptacle is loose, and the internal batteries used to last 30 minutes, seem to fail after 5 minutes or the unit shuts down immediately after any power interruption. I still like IFLY over Foreflight, I guess I am just stubborn. I may buy a new 720 to see if those issues have been fixed in later models.
You mention "720" several times, but in your original post you said "740b". Since you talk about the internal battery, I assume "740b" is the correct model number for your device.

If you're looking to buy a new 740b, that may be difficult. Adventure Pilot no longer sells the 740b. Up until recently, Aircraft Spruce was still showing the 740b in stock, but it appears to be sold out now. There may be one or two other vendors who have some new-in-box units in stock, but you might have to hunt for them.

AP has said they no longer intend to provide a dedicated portable device anymore. A significant majority of their customers use their own tablets these days.

The minimum is 2 amps at 12 volts. If you suspect the battery is bad check the voltage while there is a draw - does it maintain 12 volts or does it start to drop?

Is the internal battery on a 740b user replaceable.? Mine shows never getting above 60% on the "battery" instrument on the screen. I have had a couple issues with the boot up not completing and wondered if maybe the battery was not charging sufficiently or low in output current. Presently I have switched the battery switch to "off" and running ONLY on aircraft 12v buss. It's off and on with master switch. So far so good. P.S
Also left it on the 120v power supply overnight with still 60 % max. Any ideas?

Back