Add speed to the flight plan

Chad

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
Request add speed to the flight plan similar to the altitude functionality. Allow speeds to be selected for the entire flight or at a specific waypoint. This would directly contribute to waypoint arrival times and loosely to fuel burns.

Examples
* Lengthy arrival notams like OSH. Flight plan defaults to my normal cruise speed of 160 not 90. Nice to have a mental reminder as well.
* Flying in loose formation with dissimilar aircraft.

Seems overly complicated. Speed and burn rate are embedded in the Aircraft Profile. Seems like you'd have to set up some sort of "menu" to pick and choose IAS for specific WPs, then tell it to override your profile for those instances... Fuel consumption is also based on profile, and only partially contributes to in-flight knowledge; because it doesn't have a place to enter starting fuel, other than adjusting the W&B calcs, and it doesn't seem to use that entry anyway in the FP calcs.
Would be really nice to be able to enter starting fuel, any adds at fuel stops, and then have it do the simple "Estimated Fuel Remaining" calcs!

I'm intrigued by the request, but I agree with Bob in that it seems that it would be complicated. And probably not a frequently used feature. Also, what would be the speed you're requesting: IAS, TAS or GS?

I have previously requested that waypoints provide an optional popup message capability (when you get near the waypoint, an optional user-provided message pops up). I envisioned that being helpful for fly-ins and obstacle reminders. In your particular case, you could have the message remind you that at this particular place you want to be going xxx speed.

I don't think it would be complicated. OP's asking for a user-modifiable field in each leg of the flight plan, just like the Altitude field that's already there, where you can set a speed. The speed set for that leg (and subsequent legs, like Altitude?) would override the default speed in the Aircraft properties.

When iFly does its time calculations, it uses the speed set by the user in the FP if present, otherwise it uses the speeds defined in the Aircraft Profile.

Well, okay, I guess maybe it gets complicated since iFly also calculates fuel burn. So yeah...okay, I kinda don't like this idea if you want all that to be user-changable-per-leg....

Last edited:
Would be really nice to be able to enter starting fuel, any adds at fuel stops, and then have it do the simple "Estimated Fuel Remaining" calcs!
If that's a serious request, you should post a separate feature request, or else it will just get lost in the noise in this thread.

Wouldn't you also need a separate instrument to show target speed?

I'm intrigued by the request, but I agree with Bob in that it seems that it would be complicated. And probably not a frequently used feature. Also, what would be the speed you're requesting: IAS, TAS or GS?

I have previously requested that waypoints provide an optional popup message capability (when you get near the waypoint, an optional user-provided message pops up). I envisioned that being helpful for fly-ins and obstacle reminders. In your particular case, you could have the message remind you that at this particular place you want to be going xxx speed.
Hook, to me It seems like TAS would make the most sense. iFly already takes winds aloft into consideration when planning, so ground speed is covered.

I actually use this a bunch with another product. Our EAA chapter quite often does fly outs. Sometimes we fly as a gaggle other times it is go at your own. Sure I could set up a bunch of profiles. (`Cub speed, 172 speed, Tiger speed,….). I get it on those 50NM flights who cares. I flew to Triple Tree last week with an LSA. It was nice to pop in his cruise speed In my flight plan. Made the timing on the legs much more accurate.

I don't think it would be complicated. OP's asking for a user-modifiable field in each leg of the flight plan, just like the Altitude field that's already there, where you can set a speed. The speed set for that leg (and subsequent legs, like Altitude?) would override the default speed in the Aircraft properties.

When iFly does its time calculations, it uses the speed set by the user in the FP if present, otherwise it uses the speeds defined in the Aircraft Profile.

Well, okay, I guess maybe it gets complicated since iFly also calculates fuel burn. So yeah...okay, I kinda don't like this idea if you want all that to be user-changable-per-leg....
True fuel burn probably does add a bunch of complexity and at the end of the day it may just be a swag.

Back