Airports with MoGas

Do you have a recommendation for where to get such information? http://flyunleaded.com/airports.html is the only source I'm really aware of, but historically it's been notoriously incomplete/incorrect. The curator of this site made a post on Pilots of America (here) about a year ago stating that it had gotten a lot better, but it's still just a crowdsourced effort so its reliability will always be somewhat questionable.

Without a good data source to pull from, it would be hard to implement this feature.

Last edited:
Nope, that’s my source, too.
Other than calling up every airport that has fuel and asking.
Or maybe allow your users to add your database, or send a notification to the developers from within the app. But, then that’s just crowdsourced, too, so…

I upvoted but like Cobra said the flyunleaded site is not very accurate. I called a few of the airports listed last spring when I was going to ferry my new to me Classic Searey from Florida to TX and they said they didn't have mogas on site any more. If a good data source is identified it would be nice to add the feature.

Tony

Yeah, see, that's the problem. If the data's not available, then it's hard to add that feature to iFly. AP's an EFB software development company, not a mogas price/availability tracking company.

Would it be possible to have a link on the iFly software when used by cellular connected devices to http://flyunleaded.com/airports.html site to help build the volume of pilots reporting? Perhaps have it both in the general menu, and as an option for the users to add to their main screen if they chose.

Do you have a recommendation for where to get such information? http://flyunleaded.com/airports.html is the only source I'm really aware of, but historically it's been notoriously incomplete/incorrect. The curator of this site made a post on Pilots of America (here) about a year ago stating that it had gotten a lot better, but it's still just a crowdsourced effort so its reliability will always be somewhat questionable.

Without a good data source to pull from, it would be hard to implement this feature.
This problem is more complicated than it might seem--because all Rotax four-stroke aircraft engines (except the 80 hp 912) require premium 93 octane car gas. But MOGAS usually means 87 octane car gas that will work in old, low compression aircraft engines. So for Rotax owners--that is, almost all light sport airplanes built in the 21st century--"MOGAS" is a red herring.

Actually, I read something about that recently that says otherwise. Something to do with the difference between European octane numbers vs US octane numbers. I'll have to see if I can retrace my steps on that.

Actually, I read something about that recently that says otherwise. Something to do with the difference between European octane numbers vs US octane numbers. I'll have to see if I can retrace my steps on that.
Octane IS figured differently in North America and Europe, but that's not the issue here. The Rotax engines require fuel that in North America is called "93 octane." (Actually, that's not exactly true. They usually say they want our "91 octane" car gas; but most stations sell 93, so that's what we use.) Up to 10% ethanol is acceptable. That's what I usually use--because finding no-ethanol gas is too much bother. 100LL is also acceptable, but you have to change oil twice as often if you use it regularly, and change plugs, etc., too.

Yeah, all I know about it is some random couple of web posts that I happened to run across recently, which is to say--I don't know nuthin'....

Back