Any word on the new iFly unit?

Tom

Reaction score
What is the latest on the new tablet based iFly?

See https://iflygps.com/STORE/Product/ifly-efb-aviation-tablet ... just off the press.

It raises for me this question:
How does this dedicated(?) tablet compare to the now no longer sold iFly 740b.
It's not a hypothetical question... It directly pertains to whether those of use with 740's should even consider replacing them with the new iFly tablet.
I'd love to see a side-by-side feature compassion... as well as real world reviews from folks who have used the 740 for years.

Specifically among other things, wonder if ifly connect (which is nice easy way to update the SD card maps on the 740) will work with this tablet. One thing I like on my 740 is I can leave the 740 in the plane and bring the SD card home to update it with iFly connect.

Last edited:
One significant difference:

The 740b software will no longer be updated. New features, user interface improvements, etc. that may come down the pipe for iFlyEFB will not be available for the 7xx devices. Since the new device is Android-based, it will continue to have access to the latest-and-greatest iFlyEFB software versions going forward.

If your 7xx device is working fine and you don't feel like you're missing out not having the latest-and-greatest EFB software, then keep using your 7xx device ad infinitum. Adventure Pilot has no plans to stop providing aviation data updates for those devices.

But if your 7xx device stops working, or iFlyEFB gains some killer feature that you just can't live without, then there you go.

Am I reading the display specs correctly? 280x800? The Tripletek is listed as 2560x1600. Is this a mis-print?

Am I reading the display specs correctly? 280x800? The Tripletek is listed as 2560x1600. Is this a mis-print?
I'm guessing that it should read 1280x800 but would be interested to hear a response from AP.

>Q: Will the tablet simply stop working if my subscription expires?
A: No, the tablet will continue to function as an Android tablet, however the iFly EFB app will not function.<

Don't the current 7XX devices continue to work without a subscription, (although with outdated maps)?

>Q: Will the tablet simply stop working if my subscription expires?
A: No, the tablet will continue to function as an Android tablet, however the iFly EFB app will not function.<

Don't the current 7XX devices continue to work without a subscription, (although with outdated maps)?
Yes, but the tablet app doesn't work that way. Without an active subscription, the tablet app reverts to a time-limited trial/demo mode.

Specifically among other things, wonder if ifly connect (which is nice easy way to update the SD card maps on the 740) will work with this tablet. One thing I like on my 740 is I can leave the 740 in the plane and bring the SD card home to update it with iFly connect.
I asked about this recently, and was told that iFly Connect only worked with the previous units. Pity because that was a great feature.

Yes, but the tablet app doesn't work that way. Without an active subscription, the tablet app reverts to a time-limited trial/demo mode.

I suspected that was the case, unfortunately. I asked the question in the spirit of pointing out yet another significant difference between the new dedicated device, and the 7XX units.

How does this dedicated(?) tablet compare to the now no longer sold iFly 740b.
It's not a hypothetical question... It directly pertains to whether those of use with 740's should even consider replacing them with the new iFly tablet.

I thought the ability to continue using the 7XX units without a subscription was a nice feature. While it wouldn't be legal, as you wouldn't have current maps, even out dated maps are better than no maps at all.

Perhaps I was on a trip when my subscription expired?
What if I can no longer fly real airplanes, but want to use iFly with a flight simulator?
There are probably other "What If"'s that we could dream up, and I doubt I, or anyone else, would drop iFly for not having this feature, but it was a unique ability.

I'd love to see a side-by-side feature compassion (comparison?)... as well as real world reviews from folks who have used the 740 for years.

What kind of real world review information are you looking for? I've had iFly since they sold their first units.

The other significant difference is it will not drive an autopilot, yet…. I was ready to plunk down some money, but I really want to make sure the AP functionality comes along. If my 740 dies right now only option is a Garmin 660 or something like that.

My thoughts... will the tripletec unit be able to drive the autopilot? or will A/P make this a proprietary feature to the A/P tablet. On the surface, it appears as if the Tripletec and the A/P devices are not very comparable, the Tripletec unit outshines in every category. But, real world comparison and use may tell a different story.
As of now, I have 2 740 units installed and a 3rd unit in a pouch. I doubt that it will ever come to this, but I have had a couple of failures in flight. I plan to use the EFB to plan and build flight plans and then share with the other units via my ADS-b WIFI interface. As Chad said, if it comes down to replacing the 740 units due to failure, it appears as if the Garmin 760 might be the way to go.

As far as auto pilot driving goes, it seems to me that a USB port is a Universal SERIAL Buss. There are adapters - https://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs232-adapter-xs8801.
In my ignorant thinking, it should just be coding to get the NMEA that an auto pilot needs directed to the USB port to make any tablet able to drive an auto pilot - but I don't know anything about the guts of this stuff.

AP makes their software to run on all platforms, so I have to believe they won't try to make autopilot a proprietary feature for the new device. My Tripltek is out for delivery today. Not sure when it will get installed and tested, but I do have two 740b units that I expect to be sold pretty cheap once I see the Tripltek in action.

AP makes their software to run on all platforms, so I have to believe they won't try to make autopilot a proprietary feature for the new device. My Tripltek is out for delivery today. Not sure when it will get installed and tested, but I do have two 740b units that I expect to be sold pretty cheap once I see the Tripltek in action.
That is mostly true... but only the 740 units will drive an autopilot

That is mostly true... but only the 740 units will drive an autopilot
Cable Integration: Ports for power and serial data output, allowing power supply from the aircraft and connectivity to autopilots and NMEA-based devices. Pogo pins automatically connect the tablet, eliminating the need for manual plugging.
*Note NMEA functionality coming soon as a software upgrade to the iFly EFB app.

That would be great if all tablets will support this!

Cable Integration: Ports for power and serial data output, allowing power supply from the aircraft and connectivity to autopilots and NMEA-based devices. Pogo pins automatically connect the tablet, eliminating the need for manual plugging.
*Note NMEA functionality coming soon as a software upgrade to the iFly EFB app.

That would be great if all tablets will support this!
What Chad quoted is from the marketing bullets specifically for the new Adventure Pilot tablet. It does not apply to all tablets in general.

Well... that's one of several reasons to hold onto and use my 740 as long as possible.

There are Android devices out there with serial ports. Here is one used in gliders:

https://xcvario.com/product/xctouchnav-5-7/

There are also multiple glider map/glide computer programs that run on Android and happily send serial gps data in/out via serial ports on such devices - so it can definitely be done. BOTH XC Soar and LK8000 are open source.m examples.

Hopefully (i) the new AP device will soon become equally capable - (ii) hopefully the way the code is implemented won’t be solely specific to the AP device.

I too have my Fingers crossed one of these options - AP device and/or suitable code to get serial data for autopilot NMEA sentences out of the iFly EFB app on other Android devices with serial ports comes along before my 740b gives up the ghost.

Back