Anyone aware of this (possible) new Adventure Pilot hardware device?

Gatormyk

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
IMG_0840.jpegThis was on display at the Adventure Pilot booth in Oshkosh. It seems poised to replace the 740B. It also appears that it will drive an auto pilot.

Approximate dimensions? Android or Windows? (The "buttons" at the bottom do not seem to be the Android standard.) Why do you (Gatormyk) say that it appears it will drive an auto pilot?

Approximate dimensions? Android or Windows? (The "buttons" at the bottom do not seem to be the Android standard.) Why do you (Gatormyk) say that it appears it will drive an auto pilot?
I guess I should have written, "they said it will drive an autopilot." It is Android and it's about an 8" screen and it is really fat (about .75" thick). It is heavy and ruggedized. It has a very bright screen (I forgot the actual number of NITs that they told me). There is a cradle that is additional and has a few interface data cables that would most likely plug into APs. I don't have an autopilot so I don't know what the typical interfaces looks like. At least one of the cables hanging off the cradle had a DB9 interface. Walter was there and said it is pretty close to being the next Adventure Pilot device. I asked when did this thing appear and if "everyone in the forums" was aware of it. Responses were that it has been in consideration for a while and knowledge of it should be known.

I should have taken more pictures of other angles of the device and of the cradle... but taking a photo of it was a last minute decision. Walter even suggested that I post a photo of it in the forums, which is why my original post is here.

Thanks. That was good of you to post it (though I don't have an autopilot either).

I'm curious about this though: With all the previous, extensive, almost-frantic (fill in your own additional adjectives) postings on the forum about the need for a hardware solution to replace the 740's, why hasn't there been more replies to this posting? Any replies actually, besides mine and ebyars. It seems to me that a lot of people would be over-the-moon about this. This silence has to be saying something to AP about the value of doing this.

I became aware of this device in the last few weeks, but I was not aware that Walter was ready to talk about it publicly. I don't know the brand or exact specifications. I think that further development will be required before it can support autopilot functions--it's not going to be for sale tomorrow.

Thanks. That was good of you to post it (though I don't have an autopilot either).

I'm curious about this though: With all the previous, extensive, almost-frantic (fill in your own additional adjectives) postings on the forum about the need for a hardware solution to replace the 740's, why hasn't there been more replies to this posting? Any replies actually, besides mine and ebyars. It seems to me that a lot of people would be over-the-moon about this. This silence has to be saying something to AP about the value of doing this.
I just saw it... I wonder what the cradle looks like?

Really looking forward to learning more about this tablet - even a teaser video showing it off would be great.

I'm curious about this though: With all the previous, extensive, almost-frantic (fill in your own additional adjectives) postings on the forum about the need for a hardware solution to replace the 740's, why hasn't there been more replies to this posting? Any replies actually, besides mine and ebyars. It seems to me that a lot of people would be over-the-moon about this.

I thought the same as well. I stopped by the AP booth on Monday just to say hi to the folks there. When I saw this tablet on the table, my immediate questions where: "What is this?" "How long has this been in the works?" and "Do the folks on the forums know about this?" Given the forum comments about the decision to stop manufacturing the 740B's I thought knowledge of this new device, which was very publicly visible at the AP booth in Oshkosh 2023, would be welcome by many. I took the photo on Monday and posted it here Tuesday night (the delay being my reluctance to use my phone for posting on websites. but I thought that this needs to be known in the forums so I figured out how to post the photo on my phone). I was surprised that the first comments to my post didn't arrive until Thursday.

I became aware of this device in the last few weeks, but I was not aware that Walter was ready to talk about it publicly. I don't know the brand or exact specifications. I think that further development will be required before it can support autopilot functions--it's not going to be for sale tomorrow.
It seems that Walter and AP might be ready to talk about this more publicly since it was sitting out in plain sight at Oshkosh. Perhaps we can ask more information about it?

It seems that Walter and AP might be ready to talk about this more publicly since it was sitting out in plain sight at Oshkosh. Perhaps we can ask more information about it?
Those of you who saw it at OSH will know more about it than anyone outside of AP. That would have been the perfect opportunity to ask for more information about it. No one's going to know more about it than Walter.

I just saw it... I wonder what the cradle looks like?
I really wish I had taken more photos of the device at different angles and of the cradle. The cradle was heavy-duty as well. The tablet had flush-style pins on one side of the tablet (about two rows of 8 or 10) and the cradle had male pins meant to contact the flush-style pins on the tablet. IIRC, there were a few non-removable cables coming out of the cradle. The cradle had a number of flush threads on the back that appeared to accommodate standard mounting plates. The cradle looks like it should be mounted on the panel with the cables situated in a way to connect to power and other possible devices. I could not see how the cradle could be easily adapted to be yoke-mounted, but I guess it could be done.

I really wish I had taken more photos of the device at different angles and of the cradle. The cradle was heavy-duty as well. The tablet had flush-style pins on one side of the tablet (about two rows of 8 or 10) and the cradle had male pins meant to contact the flush-style pins on the tablet. IIRC, there were a few non-removable cables coming out of the cradle. The cradle had a number of flush threads on the back that appeared to accommodate standard mounting plates. The cradle looks like it should be mounted on the panel with the cables situated in a way to connect to power and other possible devices. I could not see how the cradle could be easily adapted to be yoke-mounted, but I guess it could be done.
I wonder if it could be flush mounted in a panel as the AirGizmos unit does?

Just looked at Facebook... I guess the cat is out of the bag for the new tablet! It looks pretty good so far.

Got a link? I didn't see anything in the Adventure Pilot Group FB page.
It is on Facebook... Can't post a link but the text from A/P says that it will be on the web page next week with sales in 6-8 weeks. 800 NIT brightness, and NMEA output! It uses a ram mount or a dedicated dock. No info on price...

Here is a pic from the post

Attachments

• 363366413_986150459433904_4737012840073883158_n.jpg
    363366413_986150459433904_4737012840073883158_n.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 39
Well I will be upgrading my 740 for sure. Thank you Walter and Brian!

For those that don't do FB...
Wow! THAT was instructive! I just looked at your FB link and in the Members tab saw more than 900 members before I went blotto and gave that up. I recognized only a very few names--about 6 or 8, I think.

And that just confirms what I suppose everybody else already knows: There are two kinds of iFly pilots in the World Wide Web--those who are on Facebook and almost nobody else.

Just checking to see if there are any new updates on the tablet or testing.

Just checking to see if there are any new updates on the tablet or testing.
I haven't heard of any update from AP. However, I'm checking the iFlyEFB website often to see when it will be offered for sale. I intend to be one of the first purchasers primarily because I'm currently in the market for a new android tablet to run iFlyEFB primarily for a brighter display. My Samsung runs fine but the display brightness is terrible in direct sunlight and iPads are terrible with heat and they tend to become unsupported by Apple in a relatively short time period. I was considering a Tripletek but since seeing the new device at Oshkosh and hearing that AP will be selling it soon (weeks) at about the same price point, I thought I would would wait and grab that one when it becomes available.

I haven't heard of any update from AP. However, I'm checking the iFlyEFB website often to see when it will be offered for sale. I intend to be one of the first purchasers primarily because I'm currently in the market for a new android tablet to run iFlyEFB primarily for a brighter display. My Samsung runs fine but the display brightness is terrible in direct sunlight and iPads are terrible with heat and they tend to become unsupported by Apple in a relatively short time period. I was considering a Tripletek but since seeing the new device at Oshkosh and hearing that AP will be selling it soon (weeks) at about the same price point, I thought I would would wait and grab that one when it becomes available.
The 800 nits is an improvement over most other tablets, but the new Tripltek9 has 1300 nits. I just ordered one last weekend for the open cockpit Woody's Pusher. I'll report on how it works once I get it in the air again.

Don, pls post or email me as soon as you get a chance to review the T9. My tab just decided to die on my yesterday and the T9 has looked very promising.

Ditto on the Tripltek interest, and the new device from AP of course. I'd have to stick with the 8" Tripltek due to panel size, and I don't know where the new AP device will end up as far as size goes. It does sound like the AP will likely offer a lot more connectivity.
Rusty

The 800 nits is an improvement over most other tablets, but the new Tripltek9 has 1300 nits. I just ordered one last weekend for the open cockpit Woody's Pusher. I'll report on how it works once I get it in the air again.
Would definitely love to hear a pirep on the Tripletek when u get it.

Ditto on the Tripltek interest, and the new device from AP of course. I'd have to stick with the 8" Tripltek due to panel size, and I don't know where the new AP device will end up as far as size goes. It does sound like the AP will likely offer a lot more connectivity.
Rusty
I'll gladly write a pirep on the Tripltek once I've flown with it. Since it's staying in the 100°F range these days, it should be a good test.
FYI - the 8 and 9 are model numbers, not screen size - they are the same size.

I'll gladly write a pirep on the Tripltek once I've flown with it. Since it's staying in the 100°F range these days, it should be a good test.
FYI - the 8 and 9 are model numbers, not screen size - they are the same size.
I received the TriplTek9 yesterday and loaded iFlyEFB on it. It comes with a bracket to screw onto the back that has a ¼-20 socket. I had ordered a RAM system 1" ball with a ¼-20 stud which came today - screwed it into the mounting bracket and headed to the plane.
For me, this is a simpler mount than the multiple parts tablet holder for the Tab-A.
Went flying for an hour in the 39C 102F temps.
The TriplTek is definitely my favorite iFly platform now! The cell phone photos don't do it justice (auto everything trying to compensate for who knows what).
The colors on the chart (I only use the sectional - just like I did in 1967 when I got my PPL) so I didn't try any other map modes.
The TriplTek back 1 photo is the bare back, back 2 is with the bracket installed and back 3 is with the RAM ball.
The other photos are side-by-side with the Tab-A and iFly 740 in the hangar, then the TriplTek and 740 while in the air.
There is a photo of the GRT SPort EX screen for comparison.

After the plane was in the hangar, I got the IR temp gun and measured the temps on the back and screen of the TriplTek and the 740 since they were both warm. The back of the Trpltek was 108F, the back of the 740 was 112F. The screen of the Trpltek was 98F and the 740 was 102F.
I was practicing holding altitude in 720° turns, so both got similar exposure to the sun.

Attachments

• TriplTek flying 2 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek flying 2 (Medium).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 29
  • TriplTek flying 3 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek flying 3 (Medium).jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 30
  • TriplTek left 740 right (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek left 740 right (Medium).jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 34
  • TriplTek top 740 bottom (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek top 740 bottom (Medium).jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 30
  • TriplTek flying 1 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek flying 1 (Medium).jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 30
  • TriplTek back 2 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek back 2 (Medium).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 29
  • TriplTek back 1 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek back 1 (Medium).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 27
  • TriplTek  back 3 (Medium).jpg
    TriplTek back 3 (Medium).jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Sport EX to compare (Medium).jpg
    Sport EX to compare (Medium).jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 740 flying (Medium).jpg
    740 flying (Medium).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 28
I received the TriplTek9 yesterday and loaded iFlyEFB on it. It comes with a bracket to screw onto the back that has a ¼-20 socket. I had ordered a RAM system 1" ball with a ¼-20 stud which came today - screwed it into the mounting bracket and headed to the plane.
For me, this is a simpler mount than the multiple parts tablet holder for the Tab-A.
Went flying for an hour in the 39C 102F temps.
The TriplTek is definitely my favorite iFly platform now! The cell phone photos don't do it justice (auto everything trying to compensate for who knows what).
The colors on the chart (I only use the sectional - just like I did in 1967 when I got my PPL) so I didn't try any other map modes.
The TriplTek back 1 photo is the bare back, back 2 is with the bracket installed and back 3 is with the RAM ball.
The other photos are side-by-side with the Tab-A and iFly 740 in the hangar, then the TriplTek and 740 while in the air.
There is a photo of the GRT SPort EX screen for comparison.

After the plane was in the hangar, I got the IR temp gun and measured the temps on the back and screen of the TriplTek and the 740 since they were both warm. The back of the Trpltek was 108F, the back of the 740 was 112F. The screen of the Trpltek was 98F and the 740 was 102F.
I was practicing holding altitude in 720° turns, so both got similar exposure to the sun.
Looks great! This one is 1300 NITs? I wonder what those 4 contact points on the back are for... a Tripletek dock? Thanks for the quick pirep!

I forgot - the TriplTek is very noticeably faster than either the 740 or the Tab-A. It did not flinch in the heat, though I didn't have the Tab-A mounted for a side-by-side. The Tab-A did shut down due to heat two weeks ago and I think it would have today as well.
The only thing I don't like about the TriplTek is the power connection on the top when in portrait mode. It won't be an issue in landscape. When I fly with two iFly devices, I keep one in one orientation and the other the opposite so I can always see the furthest ahead of me regardless of E-W or N-S route.
The TriplTek is pricey, but after the last time the Tab-A shut down in the heat I decided it was time, and I have no regrets. I wll be purchasing another one when the Woody's Pusher is ready to fly again to mount in it's panel.

Looks great! This one is 1300 NITs? I wonder what those 4 contact points on the back are for... a Tripletek dock? Thanks for the quick pirep!
They are for a dock meant for drone controllers. I need to explore that to see if they will be usable for panel mounting. Yes, it's supposed to be1300 NITS. I did turn the brightness all the way up.

The only thing I don't like about the TriplTek is the power connection on the top when in portrait mode.
Yes, that will be a negative for me since I only fly in portrait mode. Is the power connection a USB? I wonder if there's a 90 degree option for a cable to make it less of an issue. Of course from what I've read about the battery, it will far exceed any flying I'd do.

I really wish AP would release a few details about the size of their new edition, but I supposed I can wait.

Thanks for the great review!
Rusty

Excellent review, Don. About screen brightness--I wonder how it will do in an open cockpit, with no wing or cabin roof overhead. That's when the ambient light is brightest and the light reflected from clothing, knees, etc., is most troublesome. On sunny days I cover my knees with a dark cloth in order to see the 740 clearly.

Excellent review, Don. About screen brightness--I wonder how it will do in an open cockpit, with no wing or cabin roof overhead. That's when the ambient light is brightest and the light reflected from clothing, knees, etc., is most troublesome. On sunny days I cover my knees with a dark cloth in order to see the 740 clearly.
This photo is in direct sunlight. I found it to be very readable. Yes, it has a glossy smooth surface so reflections might be an issue, but they sell a mat screen cover/protector for it - might be what's needed in the open cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_141425324_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20230826_141425324_HDR (Medium).jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 21
It does look like it, but they mentioned 800 nits, vs 1300 for the Tripltek 9. I'm ready to order the Tripltek, but I'm doing my best to hold out for more info on the AP unit. I'm not known for my patience though :)

I may buy a Tripletek soon! My iPad mini 6 overheated on Sunday and I struggle with the brightness of my Tab A7 Lite :-(

If the Tripltek site has a labor day sale, it's over :) One thing I really like about the 740b is the SD card updates using iFly Connect. I don't have any wifi in range of my hangar, and those updates take way longer than just popping in an SD card. I wonder if their new device will be able to use the iFly Connect update?

AP said that their new device(tablet) will support NMEA ouput, obviously their new device will have a serial ouput of some sort.
I've been looking at the Tripltek for sometime as well. Is it me or the Tripltek doesn't seem to have a serial output?????

AP said that their new device(tablet) will support NMEA ouput, obviously their new device will have a serial ouput of some sort.
I've been looking at the Tripltek for sometime as well. Is it me or the Tripltek doesn't seem to have a serial output?????
The Tripltek has a USBc 3.0 port. The question will be if the software can use it, and if any external hardware will be needed to convert to whatever interface the external device needs.

Last edited:
The Tripltek has a USBc 3.0 port. The question will be if the software can use it, and if any external hardware will be needed to convert to whatever interface the external device needs.
That was my questionning as well.... Thx

Don,

How does the battery life seem? Any idea how long it would run on a full charge? I figure I likely wouldn't need to power it in flight for my local flying.

Thanks,
Rusty

Don, appears that it may have a cradle mount option with the contacts there at the top. Do you know if a pair of those might be external power option? Also curious what the other contacts might be used for??

Back