Anyone aware of this (possible) new Adventure Pilot hardware device?

Gatormyk

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
IMG_0840.jpegThis was on display at the Adventure Pilot booth in Oshkosh. It seems poised to replace the 740B. It also appears that it will drive an auto pilot.

I can confirm that this very bright tablet (Tripltek) is fine at night - set iFly to night mode, swipe down at the top of the screen and the brightness control is prominent - set the brightness to what works for you. Worked great tonight in the air.

I think Tripltek has it beat. That's what I'll be ordering. If I thought I'd ever need to interface it with external autopilots or other gear, I might look into the connectivity more. For me it will just be a standalone device.

I think Tripltek has it beat. That's what I'll be ordering. If I thought I'd ever need to interface it with external autopilots or other gear, I might look into the connectivity more. For me it will just be a standalone device.
Yah, my dilemma is that I like to have it connected to the autopilot like my 740B....

The iFly tablet back is quite different from the TriplTek. The POGO PIN x24 docking connection in specific. THey do say that the serial "NMEA functionality coming soon as a software upgrade to the iFly EFB app". And "advanced autopilot integration and data communication, slated for release in the 1st quarter of 2024."

When I need to buy a tablet for the Woody's Pusher (open cockpit) I will take a closer look at the iFly tablet. I'd like to have autopilot so the wings will stay level while I take photos.
Perhaps someone will be able to compare the full sun readability of the iFly and TriplTek tablets before then ...

Well maybe it should be called: iFly 3Tek9 Looks like a nice unit , I will be on the list but maybe not this first round. I will need to shift some panel stuff around in order for the larger size to fit . I want to get a good grasp of the cradle mount , wire directions and etc before launching into a "minor" panel config arrangement. Also I want to acknowledge the visibility from where it will be installed. I would like to get hold of a cradle shortly to be able to use the cradle to fab couple panel overlays. also want to incorporate an angle adjust for the cradle and custom mount. AP, can I go ahead and order the cradle on this first offering?

I believe I m correct in that the serial wires as well as power will be exiting the cradle in the same bundle as all the rest according to the picture. ??

Last edited:
Hey guys, quick update on the iFly EFB Aviation Tablet: It's available on our store for preorder now.

I've added Specifications and FAQ tabs which have a bunch more info.

We will begin shipping the first batch in early October, anyone that preorders will get one of those. And of course you have our 30 day guarantee if you get it and it doesn't fit your need. If you wait til we're shipping and order, that's fine too - just might be another chunk of time before the 2nd batch comes in.

Feel free to continue your conversation about the TriplTek tablet on our forum, I'm not scared of a little competition ;-). And I'm curious how they compare.

Cheers,
Walter

There are two major uses of a tablet device: 1) an interactive iFly EFB display; 2) an interactive iFly EFB display that also can send out NMEA sentences to drive an autopilot. Is the competition you're speaking of just for #1? Or is Adventure Pilot going to support some third-party USB adapter in the near future that will make #2 possible for a tablet that's not yours, such as a TripleTek?

There are two major uses of a tablet device: 1) an interactive iFly EFB display; 2) an interactive iFly EFB display that also can send out NMEA sentences to drive an autopilot. Is the competition you're speaking of just for #1? Or is Adventure Pilot going to support some third-party USB adapter in the near future that will make #2 possible for a tablet that's not yours, such as a TripleTek?
Excellent question, specially for people that already own a Tablet!!!! (y)(y)

Is there a cut off date yet for getting in on the first order of ifly tripltec device.? Maybe AP should give it a name to eliminate the confusion or separate it from the "other" Tripltek device.

Last edited:
FYI: The iFly EFB Aviation Tablet will have a hard-wired method of transmitting NMEA data to an autopilot. We are also working on a wireless solution that would work for most other smart devices via bluetooth.

Great! Any info as to what the panel dock looks like? Will it fit a STD radio rack?

I was wondering about the mounting details,,, it does not appear to be a flush mount such as the Air Gizmos dock for the 740 is

FYI: The iFly EFB Aviation Tablet will have a hard-wired method of transmitting NMEA data to an autopilot.
Wouldn't this also work sending it out to other android tablets via a usb-c to 9pin dsub serial connector?

Wouldn't this also work sending it out to other android tablets via a usb-c to 9pin dsub serial connector?
Android and iOS don't natively support RS232 serial cables. So any cable you use requires proprietary coding to support it directly from the app, and may also require specific drivers which may require specific OS versions. Bottom line: It's very difficult to support hard-wired serial output from a tablet in a generic fashion. Since we can control all the elements of the iFly EFB Aviation Tablet, we can afford to build and support the serial out, but we cannot do this for the variety of other tablets out there.

But, we hope to support this in a wireless fashion.

Sounds like the bottom line is you can only use the A/P tablet if you want or need serial data to run your autopilot, fuel computer etc. Or use the 7XX units to drive those pieces of hardware and use whatever device you have to transfer data from the EFB program via a wifi hub, ADS-b receiver etc. o much for the people that(including me) that had high hopes for the Tripletec unit.

Yes and no. What you're saying is true for now, if what you're looking for is an immediate solution, or a simple direct hardwire solution into the future. But Walter clearly said that they hope to support the "variety of other tablets out there" via a wireless solution. That would involve an extra piece of hardware (to receive the signal and put it out on a serial cable), and it hasn't been developed yet.

Yes and no. What you're saying is true for now, if what you're looking for is an immediate solution, or a simple direct hardwire solution into the future. But Walter clearly said that they hope to support the "variety of other tablets out there" via a wireless solution. That would involve an extra piece of hardware (to receive the signal and put it out on a serial cable), and it hasn't been developed yet.
Correct. Actually we do have this ability now if you have an iLevil AW ADSB receiver, it has the ability to accept an NMEA feed from our app and send it through a serial cable. But we hope to have a wireless solution that isn't so expensive.

Another piece of equipment is another potential failure point. The first rule is to keep it simple.

Another piece of equipment is another potential failure point. The first rule is to keep it simple.
That applies to software as well as hardware, and Walter's plan does indeed comply with your first rule: Instead of writing multiple unique RS232 drivers from scratch for a variety of devices and OS variants, AP is looking to leverage an existing, OS-level Bluetooth driver interface that should be common across devices.

Back