Black screen

Mike Egg

Reaction score
After downloading the new data base and using it twice now when I open Ifly on ipad mini 3 after a logo all i get is a black screen.
I tried deleting and reinstalling with no change. Any ideas?

After downloading the new data base and using it twice now when I open Ifly on ipad mini 3 after a logo all i get is a black screen.
I tried deleting and reinstalling with no change. Any ideas?
What iOS version and iFly software version are you running?

Also, when you see the black screen, what happens if you tap on it? (Do you get a QuickView window?)

Last edited:
iFly v13 is brand-new, and includes a major revamp of the graphics engine. It has undergone many weeks of testing, but the test cadre does not include every combo of device and operating system, so it's possible you have stumbled across something new.

One silly question: Have you rebooted your iPad since the black-screen behavior started?

I am an Android-only guy so don't have any experience with running v13 on iOS devices, but there are others here who have and may be able to offer suggestions. In the meantime, I suggest you go ahead and submit a bug report.

I have an Ipad mini6 and it orks fine as does my android. This just happened today, I updated it yesterday and had two flights and it worked fine.
I'll submit the report.

Whoops--good point! 😁

On Android, I know how to find the log files to submit a report manually, but I don't know how to do that on iOS. I would suggest calling Adventure Pilot support during business hours and see if they can offer you any help over the phone.

Mike Egg, you might try deleting iFly from your iPad and then re-installing it. That's something of a bother because you'll have to enter your subscription info and re-download all the maps; but it doesn't really take terribly long.

I've had a sorry history of odd crashes in the past year, after updating my iPad Mini 6 automatically, especially while the previous version of iFly was "open," even in the background. I've had fewer problems when I've closed the previous version of iFly (but not deleted it--just swipe it up and away to shut it down, so it no longer appears in the taskbar across the bottom of the screen).

I don't know of any easy way of locating an app's data files on an iPad or iPhone without resorting to a third-party Macintosh program that can see them. Apple doesn't make that easy, and I haven't bothered to try it in maybe 8 or 10 years.

Hi! This is a current issue that development is aware of. This has been an incompatibility issue with the older iPads and prevents them from being able to run the iFly app after updating. Development is working to fix this at the moment and we'll update you all once we have this fixed. Thanks for your patience.

Hi! This is a current issue that development is aware of. This has been an incompatibility issue with the older iPads and prevents them from being able to run the iFly app after updating. Development is working to fix this at the moment and we'll update you all once we have this fixed. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks, Jaydon! It's very comforting to know what's been done and what's happening--especially for the beta testers. I wish we had some kind of progress report like that for all of the topics here on the beta forum, so we'd know what needs more attention and what we can ease off of.

Similarly, it would also be helpful to know who has read (or at least seen) each post here. As it is now, unless someone posts a reply--which often isn't needed--we can never know whether we're in a conversation, or are merely shouting into the wind. That's inefficient. (This has been mentioned at least once before, early on, but to no effect.) That's my favorite feature in a SeaRey builders' technical forum I frequent. You have to ask: It has a "Viewers" button that puts up a list of viewers' names, but only when you click on it. Works very well.

We apologize for this mishap, I should have set the "Min iOS version" for our v13.0.30 release to "iOS 13+", and then those with these older devices simply would NOT have seen the update. The downside would have been, is that if you ever removed the app or had to do "App Restore (e.g. from Cloud)" - then you'd not get the app back.

Our intended solution to this is already being implemented, which is to create a NEW product called "iFly EFB - LEGACY" which will also be available on the App Store -- instructing users to ONLY install it if they are on iOS 12 or lower. Then we'll redirect our users with old iPads to that application to keep them running. To our knowledge, there are about 100 of these devices with iFly EFB on them now.

This new Legacy App, as of tonight, has been submitted to Apple for Test Flight deployment, as well as for AppStore deployment. As soon as we hear from a few beta testers that the Legacy App appears to be working, we'll release it on the AppStore -- which may be as soon as mid-next-week (April 3rd), but that's only if there aren't any hiccups.

"To no effect" perhaps, but to complete the whole story, your prior comment was not ignored--it was explained at the time that this forum software simply does not support that function.

While what he asked for may be supported, there does seem to be a workaround. I clicked the "Like" button to Cobra's post and it leaves the little thumbs up, and adds the name. If the Staff Members would click the Thumbs Up button that would let everyone know they have, at least, seen the post.

Yeah I agree, we'll definitely make sure that you all are heard and that you understand we are reading these posts and paying attention. Thanks!

Back