Brief won't update

Tony4aro

Reaction score
For some reason, if I set up a flight plan, and I hit brief... it comes back with a error saying the time is 2 hours in the past, and won't give me an update. When I hit continue, it shows me a flight Brief that was from an old flight plan from days ago. (On my ipad) I made sure the departure time was in fact the next morning. I tried resetting the iPad, but I still get the same error. I hit the button for sending a bug report, but it says I have to set up email on the device.... and I have no intention of doing that. (I really don't like apple products) I'm not getting this issue on my android devices. Is there a way to simply purge the old data so it will update?

Tony4aro, if you have ever requested either a briefing or filed a flight plan in iFly, you may need to delete that briefing or the flight plan. iFly doesn't do that automatically--sometimes or always, I can't remember. It's not a new problem--at least half a year old, I think. The time of the briefed flight matters, too, but again I can't be more explicit until I can make the devices Get Brief again.

I can't be more specific right now because iFly beta keeps crashing when I try to get a brief. Both the i{ad and the iPhone crash the same way--Get Brief. I've sent in bug reports from both devices.

Last edited:
Tony4aro, if you have ever requested either a briefing or filed a flight plan in iFly, you may need to delete that briefing or the flight plan. iFly doesn't do that automatically--sometimes or always, I can't remember. It's not a new problem--at least half a year old, I think. The time of the briefed flight matters, too, but again I can't be more explicit until I can make the devices Get Brief again.

I can't be more specific right now because iFly beta keeps crashing when I try to get a brief. Both the i{ad and the iPhone crash the same way--Get Brief. I've sent in bug reports from both devices.
I remember seeing something about it in the past... but I couldn't find it in a search. FYI.... I had an account on the forum before... but for some reason it wasn't letting me in. So this is a new account for me.

ANyway.... I don't mind deleting the old brief, but I didn't see a way to do it. Am I missing something simple? I'm about ready to just start using my samsung tab again.... but the iPad has a nice digital pencil to write on the screen with.

Can anyone else who uses the flight planning features in iFly (or an AP employee) help Tony with how to clear out an old plan?

If not, @Tony4aro, my previous suggestion in reply #2 above to call or write to AP for help is the best I can offer.

I'm getting the same error message on my Samsung Note 9: "Estimated Time of Departs (ICAO): "10/07/2023T1730" is more than 2 hours in the past. I found that briefing by selecting, Briefing/Filing, View Last Briefing and the time on it matches up with the error message. There is no button to delete or remove that briefing. I thought the solution might be to just move the planned flight time out a few hours using the slider in the altitude planning screen but even moving it to tomorrow didn't fix it.

I think I found the fix though. After you get the error message select the Continue button. Select Briefing/Filing, then select File New Plan. This will delete the old plan and display the current plan. You can adjust the departure time in the Departure Time box. Then select Options, Get Briefing. The old plan that was creating the error message should be gone and the briefing will pop up.

Tony

OK.... Going to give that a try. I don't mind small bugs as long as there is an easy work around. I think the simple fix for this is... the software should just purge the briefing report once it's closed.

FYI... I never wanted to hit the "File new plan" button, because I didn't want to accidentally transmit data for real.

****EDIT**** once in "File a new plan".... there is the bottom button for options, and then a brief button. Using that brief button will in fact generate a new brief for the flight plan. This is an easy workaround.

Thanks for the info

FYI... I never wanted to hit the "File new plan" button, because I didn't want to accidentally transmit data for real.
Yes, I felt the same way on this the first time I saw it. It's not obvious that there is one more step after "File new plan" to "File VFR Plan" or maybe "File IFR Plan". Maybe the first button should be "Preview new flight plan" then the "File VFR Plan".

I think there's also another way--that is, I vaguely remember finding a dialog that let me delete or disable the old plan that was the impediment. But that was half a year ago, and I can't find it now. I'll be interested in Walter's explanation of it. I've taken Tony Bolstead's lead in asking him to include Flight Plan in his next workshop.

Back