Does iFly EFB work with Garmin GDL50, GDL52 ADSB receivers?

GTO688

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else.

Does iFly EFB Android work with Garmin GDL 50 series ADSB receivers?? I'm torn between the Stratus 3 and the Garmin GDL 50 series and want to make sure that that whichever I choose will work seamlessly with iFly EFB.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Hello!

Unfortunately, we aren't able to work with Garmin products because they are exclusive with ForeFlight.
I would recommend that you get the Stratus 3. It is the number one ADS-B In that we recommend and will work perfectly with our app.

Have a good one!

Thanks Jaydon!

That is what I thought. As I am an Android guy, my options seem to be very limited.

I did order a Status 3. The only problem that I have now is how I'm going to turn on the GDL90 protocol and update the Stratus without an iOS device. I have opened a ticket with Appareo Support for recommendations. I suspect that they are going to tell me that I will need to gain access to an iOS device.

The lock that Apple holds on the general aviation community drives me absolutely crazy!!

Thanks again!!

BTW...
Currently the Stratus 3 only works with Garmin Pilot running on iOS. But, according to Garmin, the Stratus 3 will eventually work with Garmin Pilot Android version. They have no projected date for this.

BTW...
Currently the Stratus 3 only works with Garmin Pilot running on iOS. But, according to Garmin, the Stratus 3 will eventually work with Garmin Pilot Android version. They have no projected date for this.
The Stratus 3 has been out since 2018, so Garmin's already had plenty of time. I don't think I'd hold my breath.

Good point. I don't think Garmin is going to do anything without enough requests from users. Unfortunately, most Android users give up and switch over to iOS to get the best software and hardware available at the time.

This only strengthens the hold they have on the GA community.

That's why I use iFly. And my two ~$100 homebuilt Stratux receivers have been working great since they were built 7 and 5 years ago.

BTW...

JOOC, do you have the Stratus Horizon App on your phone or other device? Under Settings>Stratus Settings is a switch for "Open ADS-B Mode" which sets the Stratus 3 to communicate with, at least, iFly and perhaps other non iOS devices.

Thanks MDreger

From post 3:
I did order a Status 3. The only problem that I have now is how I'm going to turn on the GDL90 protocol and update the Stratus without an iOS device. I have opened a ticket with Appareo Support for recommendations. I suspect that they are going to tell me that I will need to gain access to an iOS device.

I have been asking friends and relatives for access to an old iphone that may be sitting in a drawer after updating to a new device.

The Stratus Horizon App only work on iOs devices. I currently only have Android.

It seems silly to me that Stratus allows their device to be used with Android EFBs but you need an iOS device to unlock the GDL90 feature and update the device.🤪🤪

Last edited:
Back