Enable Location Access

mstanton

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
Within a couple of minutes after starting iFlyEFB, a popup notification tells me 'Enable Location Access' is disabled (presumably because I am not currently connected to my DUAL GPS unit and the 'Location' is off on the tablet) and do I want to enable it. How do I keep this dialog from appearing?
Thanks!

12.0.28 Android, multiple devices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_150811.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_150811.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks. It looks like iFly is recognizing a missing permission in the OS. Maybe clicking that "YES" button is not accomplishing the permission update that iFly is intending (a bug). A workaround would be to just add the permission yourself.

Try this (different devices may have slightly different menu structures, but if you follow this gist and look for the equivalent menus in your device, you should get there):
  • Shut down iFly EFB
  • Go to your device's main settings (usually you can drag down from the top and tap a gear icon, or something similar)
  • If there's a search feature (maybe a magnifying glass, or a search box), search for "app permissions". Otherwise, navigate the menu structure to look for that option
    • Might be under Settings > Apps > iFly EFB > Permissions, or something similar to that
  • Regardless of you how get there, once you find the iFly EFB app permissions settings, look for the Location permission, and set that to "Allow only while using the app"
  • Make sure "Use precise location" is selected to "on" (might be a slide toggle--move it to the right)
  • Relaunch iFly EFB, and see if that popup stops appearing
Let us know how that works (or doesn't) for you.

Setting:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_154255_Permission controller.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_154255_Permission controller.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 5
Then I suggest you submit a bug report from within the app. Run iFly until the popup appears, click "Yes", and if it doesn't take too long, wait for the popup to appear again, and then shut down iFly. Immediately restart it, select Menu > About > Submit bug report..., select the "Default" log, and then complete the process and send the email.

You could also try toggling that permission to "Don't allow", then back to "Allow only while using the app". That might kick something loose.

Did you confirm that "Use precise location" was enabled? I'm not sure that's necessary, but it can't hurt.

Nothing I have tried will keep this popup from appearing. It's just an annoyance, but still...

Nothing I have tried will keep this popup from appearing. It's just an annoyance, but still...
What iFly EFB version? And can you share the make/model of one specific Android tablet? I have never seen a pop up like that on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite (the only Android device on which I run iFly). I've run the most current public release of iFly GP and then iFly EFB and am currently running the most current beta release of iFly EFB (12.1.5).

I see this pop up on my tablet, however its unique for me in that I have location disabled on the tablet due to using iFly with XPlane Simulator and if I have location enabled then XP does not work correctly. In my case I just press no as I don't need location enabled on the tablet to use the internal GPS

Back