Evaluating iFly and have questions

Aztec-Pilot

Reaction score
I'm just starting to evaluate the iFly software, if it matters it will be on an Android device.

Skimming through some of the discussions online I noted that T routes cannot be entered in iFly, is this correct? I often get T routes assigned, I fly primarily up and down the east coast were everything is airways and now T routes, direct anywhere doesn't exist.

I was trying to locate a Chart Supplement (AF/D) within the software and I'm not sure if it is my lack of knowledge with how the software operates or it simply doesn't exist. For example sometimes the FAA does stupid things like put a departure procedure in the Chart Supplement, i.e. Dalton departure out of TEB, or an airport that has pilot controlled lighting on a different frequency than the CTAF.

Thanks,
Aztec-Pilot

Unfortunately, iFly does not currently support T-routes. That feature has been requested, but I do not know where it might be on Adventure Pilot's development plan. I do know that it's starting to affect more users, so I would expect it should be getting some attention. You can add your voice to the list by upvoting that feature request here (click the "up" arrow next to the original post of that thread).

iFly does not include the Chart Supplement as a standalone product within the app. Instead, the information contained in the CS is distributed where you need it--usually on the Airport Info page (radio freqs, attendance hours, airport diagrams, etc. are there). I have not identified anything from the CS that's not included for the airports I routinely fly to, but that's not a 100% confirmation that nothing is overlooked. Do you have any specific examples of a piece of information that's in the CS that you can't find in iFly? It might just be in a different spot than where you're looking.

For what it's worth, I also keep the (free) FltPlan.com app on my device (I prefer its flight planning interface to iFly's), and keep charts, airport databases, and Chart Supplements up to date in that app, too. Again, in practice I have never felt the need to look up info in the FP.com app because iFly's data was insufficient, but I know I can reach for the actual CS there if I ever feel the need to.

Actually I gave a perfect example in my message, the Dalton departure out of TEB, it can only be found in the CS. I also gave the example where the PCL is on a different frequency that the CTAF but I did eventually find that in the info page.

There is a lot of information in the CS that isn't part of the individual airport listings, specifically look at section 3 "Special Notices".
Although I don't often use VORs anymore the CS contains information on VORs, specifically their service volume and any unusable radials.

Screenshot from 2023-08-18 11-19-36.png

I apologize for missing that part of your original post. Thank you for posting the photo. Yes, this would be an example of information not available in iFly because it doesn't host the CS "as-printed".

I was trying to locate the ODP for an airport and I found it under Plates -> Minimums -> T/O Minimums, however when choosing this I am brought to page L1 for the T/O minumums section and then had to scroll 30 pages to the airport I wanted. Is this the correct way to locate the ODP, or is there a way to jump to the specific airport's entry?

Yes, unfortunately that is the correct process. iFly was originally developed prior to the introduction of the iPad, on dedicated devices based on WindowsCE. When iPad and Android device support was added, the original app design was carried over for consistency and familiarity to the existing user base. Some compromises, like how PDF files are presented, were required.

Adventure Pilot has recently announced that they are no longer supporting the legacy WindowsCE devices and will be updating the user interface to better utilize the capabilities of modern tablets, but it will take some time before that work is completed.

Back