Glide Ring in iFlyEFB

Don Norris

Reaction score
I installed the current iFlyEFB on the new TriplTek tablet and took it flying today and noticed the glide ring for the first time. I decided to try it out. I was 3000ft. AGL - flew till our airport was just under the edge of the ring and pulled power. I set up my usual glide speed and ended up needing to slip the last bit before landing to make the first 1/3rd. of the runway (2600 ft). I'm impressed! I think the glide ring is a very valuable addition to iFlyEFB - Thanks!

I installed the current iFlyEFB on the new TriplTek tablet and took it flying today and noticed the glide ring for the first time. I decided to try it out. I was 3000ft. AGL - flew till our airport was just under the edge of the ring and pulled power. I set up my usual glide speed and ended up needing to slip the last bit before landing to make the first 1/3rd. of the runway (2600 ft). I'm impressed! I think the glide ring is a very valuable addition to iFlyEFB - Thanks!
Thanks for doing this! I was going to suggest that someone try that off airport with their bush plane, but I'm glad you found a way to do it at an airport. Is is possible to try it with the airport behind you and just inside the ring behind u? Oh... which color ring?

Does the ring have different colors? Mine was green. When you are low, as in you just left the runway, the ring is very small - you'd have to zoom really far in to see much - I might play with it next flight.

Does the ring have different colors? Mine was green.
iFly can also show a red ring, which removes the conservatism from the glide calculations. The way I think of it, you're likely to be able to reach a point somewhere in-between the green and red lines.

I think by default, the red line only appears if you indicate to iFly that you have an emergency--i.e., tap "NRST" on the main screen, then tap 1693221587020.png.

However, you can change that behavior. From the main screen, tap Map Mode > Glide Range gear icon > Show Red Ring, then choose between Never / Always / Only during emergencies.

I just got the Tripltek myself. It is the Perfect tablet for aviation, and iFly runs great on it.

I just got the Tripltek myself. It is the Perfect tablet for aviation, and iFly runs great on it.
Flexpar - just exactly how thick is the Tripltek? I'm hoping to replace an old tablet, but have concerns about how it will fit up on the console.

Back