iFly GPS Signal

Wade L.

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
My iPad Mini2 is finally at its end of life. I'm looking at alternatives! I currently have a FreeFlight ADS-B in the plane.

Currently my Mini2 has the Cellular (internal GPS). Freeflight hold me their ADS-B has the built in GPS which would provide location information to a tablet without an internal GPS.

My Question is: How does iFly distinguish GPS signals and would it choose the signal from my ADS-B over an internal iPad (or other) source?

I'm thinking I could purchase a iPad (or other tablet) without the Cellular service (no internal GPS).

Yes, iFly would use the GPS from the ADSB feed anytime it's connected to ADSB. If disconnected it would fail back to using the internal GPS if there is one, but as long as you have a reliable ADSB system you will be fine.

There is no mention that I see in regards to GPS reception by the new iFly tablet in the specs. Does this mean the new tablet does not have a GPS receiver?

There is no mention that I see in regards to GPS reception by the new iFly tablet in the specs. Does this mean the new tablet does not have a GPS receiver?
Since GPS is so ubiquitous across all but the cheapest/least-capable Android tablets, it's more likely that they didn't think that was even worth mentioning.

From the website:

Primary or Backup Navigation System​

Whether you're seeking a primary navigation solution or a reliable backup, the iFly EFB Aviation Tablet rises to the occasion. Its accuracy and intuitive interface make it an invaluable tool for aviators of all levels, enhancing your situational awareness and peace of mind.

I don't think they'd be advertising it as a "primary navigation solution" if it didn't have its own GPS out of the box.

But there's also this:

Q: What if I need help or have more questions?
A: Contact Adventure Pilot at 214-585-0444, or [email protected] with any questions, we are here to help!

... I would be EXTREMELY surprised if it doesn't have built-in GPS.
Cobra, that assumption doesn't hold for iPads--one of which Wade L is looking to replace. Every iPad comes in two versions, a tablet and a tablet with cellular hardware that works (almost) like an iPhone. The GPS comes only with the cellular version.

I don't know why Steve Jobs & Co did that--maybe to keep the price down for customers who didn't need a GPS. But currently, iPhones and iPads like to talk with each other. And a plain iPad without the cell+GPS hardware can easily be set to connect automatically to the iPhone's cellular hotspot whenever it needs to go online--so that makes the cell hardware not really necessary UNLESS you need a GPS. Apple seems to think of it as that they give you the cell hardware for free if you buy the GPS version, and not the other way around.

Gah. Of course. Dunno how I got so far off so fast. (I was thinking about my own hard iPhone crashes because of v. 13.0.4 that was getting ready to report in another thread here, but that's not sufficient reason.)

Thanks to all! And yes, even my Ipad Mini works with signal from my ADS-B vs using the internal Ipad one. As Walter mentioned above. But I did notice it varies while taxiing on the ground due to sometimes loosing ADS-B on the ground. Guess I'll spend the extra money on the pad for "in-case". Oh and I was on Beta but lost everything. Seems a restart was last April. Working with Walter to get back in. Cya!

Gah. Of course. Dunno how I got so far off so fast. (I was thinking about my own hard iPhone crashes because of v. 13.0.4 that was getting ready to report in another thread here, but that's not sufficient reason.)
Yes, I uploaded 13.0.11 today and hard crash. I went back and installed 13.0.4 so I could fly today. It loaded ok for me. Whew!

Back