IFR Certified Approach Plates?

Inhot

Reaction score
I assume the "IFR Not Certified" disclaimer applies to both the IFR charts and the approach plates. Is there a plan to have IFR certified Approach plates in IFlyEFB?

Attachments

• PXL_20230826_111611730.jpg
    PXL_20230826_111611730.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
iFly EFB pulls its data straight from the FAA, just like other EFBs do. If you look at a plate in iFly, you're looking at the same published plate you would see if you were holding a paper version handed to you by an FAA agent. I.e., you're looking directly at FAA-certified data. And if the date on the plate is current, then you're looking at a valid FAA plate that you can legally use in IFR flight. (This applies to IAPs, SIDs, and STARs.)

The "not certified" part means that when iFly consumes the FAA navigation data and processes it to provide you with waypoints and sequenced procedures for inclusion in a flight plan, that processed data has not been certified by the FAA. This is different from IFR-certified in-panel navigators like the Garmin GNS430/530, GTN 650/750, Avidyne IFD440/540/550, etc. Those devices use data that has gone through more rigorous quality control / certification to ensure accuracy for use while flying IFR. (The much-higher cost of data subscriptions for those devices is in part due to that more sophisticated certification process.)

The FAA regs do not provide for such IFR data certification in portable EFB devices, so this is a standard disclaimer that is not unique to iFly.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I haven't flown IFR in a GA aircraft before, but I'm contemplating doing so. I'm trying to determine what the requirements are and how to comply. I've got 21000 hours of military and 121 flying, but GA is another ball game.

Back