Implement cut and paste functionality

I'm not sure where you're cutting from to paste into the FP. Could you clarify?

If the location you want to add is visible on the map, you can long-press on the location for about a second (you'll see red dots form a ring around your finger and then turn green), and the popup that results will give you several options, including options to add the point you touched to the flight plan.

iFly knows we have fat fingers, and will try to find "the most likely location" it thinks you were trying to press, like a nearby airport or navaid. If you want an arbitrary location, you can zoom in a little and long-press and it'll give you the option to plug in the LAT/LON of where you pressed.

If you're looking for a navaid or waypoint and can't quite hit it with your finger, you can use the "Search Nearby" option. Use the "Filters" button in that popup to scope the list of results.

Does any of that address what you're trying to do? If not, could you describe your use case more specifically?

At any rate, there are also some user interface updates "coming soon" (well, depending on your definition of soon--not next week, but also not in the distant future), that will allow use of the device's native keyboard, cut-and-paste buffer, etc. that may also happen to address your concern, depending on where you're trying to cut/copy from.

I appreciate the detailed instructions and I did learn a few things but my use case is different than that.

I would be cutting from other applications. I personally like to keep my routes of flight in a spreadsheet on my phone and also if I'm flying commercial, I like to copy from FlightAware and it would be great to simply paste rather than typing the waypoints in by hand. I'd prefer to use my device keyboard instead of the built in because of the spacebar cursor control but that's a separate request.

I realize that my request is more of a fringe case but I thought I'd document it here and see how many other people might have the same request for copy and paste.

OK, I understand. I think your request will be addressed by the already-planned user interface improvements. Hopefully, we'll see those show up within the next few months or so.

OK, I understand. I think your request will be addressed by the already-planned user interface improvements. Hopefully, we'll see those show up within the next few months or so.
Our roadmap intends to permit use of the native keyboard for each platform (optional feature, likely - depending on how it turns out).

The other thing in our plan is to allow "cut/paste" to/from the paste buffer of your device.

It's all part of our plan to revamp the UI to be more modernized, which until this year, has been held-back by the WindowsCE platform requirement.

Our roadmap intends to permit use of the native keyboard for each platform (optional feature, likely - depending on how it turns out).

The other thing in our plan is to allow "cut/paste" to/from the paste buffer of your device.

It's all part of our plan to revamp the UI to be more modernized, which until this year, has been held-back by the WindowsCE platform requirement.
@Brian will it allow pasting approaches as well by name?

Yeah, there's no need to limit cut-and-paste to any particular function. It's a MUST HAVE for all modern phone and tablet iFlyers!

iOS users also REQUIRE the spacebar-as-trackpad feature. Maybe Androiders do, too.

@Brian will it allow pasting approaches as well by name?
There are already "Deep Link" formats that we support now, where you encode the flight plan into a URL/Link (e.g. iflygps.flightplan?route="data")... and we have some support for inserting procedures here and airways. So even if we're deficient now, this is something that has priority and will receive attention.

I would love to be able to paste route of flight waypoints into the flight plan.
I think I asked about this feature several years ago. Too bad it's still not there. VFR it doesn't really matter that much, but since iFly's IFR flight planning is pretty rudimentary, it would be helpful to be able to create one on SkyVector or FltPlan.com, copy it and paste it into the route box.

Back