Linux version

imrah

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
I realize porting takes time, but given that the beta EFB version was supposed to be all new code, not originally developed on Windows, and that android uses a linux kernel, why would you not have a native linux port ?

A native linux port would make EFB so much more acceptable as it could be run on a PI or similar small single board computer alongside other open source code like Stratux with minimal difficulty.

I intend to build a Zenith and if I could install EFB and Stratux as part of my panel that would be awesome.

The current EFB is not the new code you are referring to. That new code was scrapped (sort of) in favor of returning to the original GPS code. They will take portions of the scrapped EFB and adapt them into what was the original GPS code (but is now referred to as EFB).

There was a bit of discussion in the old forum about this topic. As I recall, the consensus was that the Linux market was too small. But hey, it can't hurt to ask.

That's what I was afraid of...

I spent 30+ years in s/ware and tech and I'm not much of a Windows fan so this is a real disappointment to me, not that I'm an OS bigot. I understand that business decisions may not always align with technology.

Personally, I found the GPS version clunky compared to the the EFB beta so I was disappointed to see GPS renamed EFB with just weight and balance added.

It is what it is. Thanks for the reply.

I think the first thing to realize is that, to my understanding, they are not writing native code (or much). The software development platform they write to creates the underlying code. So, it's not Windows code they're writing. But the old iFly GPS software you're referring to was somewhat hamstrung by having to support Windows CE, which is the OS on the iFly 74x hardware. Now they've made a business decision to drop further development for that old hardware/OS and have gone to a different development platform. We should see better performance, and better graphics, as well as new features.

May I ask what the new development platform is, just out of curiosity. If someone wants to keep it secret that's fine, or you could email me privately. Basically I am trying to decide what to do about the Stratux code...whether to bother porting it to android in Go, give up on it and use Stratus or a Garmin, or rewrite it in C or C++. Not that I want to be doing too much development these days :)

May I ask what the new development platform is, just out of curiosity. ... Basically I am trying to decide what to do about the Stratux code...whether to bother porting it to android in Go, ....
Not sure what knowing the iFly EFB development platform has to do with messing around with Stratux code? If you're talking about doing something with the iFly EFB code yourself, I'm pretty sure Adventure Pilot isn't going to go that far.

Imrah: to answer your question... you'll need to go back to the old forum's Beta section and find the post where Brian mentioned what it was. I don't recall it.

Not sure what knowing the iFly EFB development platform has to do with messing around with Stratux code? If you're talking about doing something with the iFly EFB code yourself, I'm pretty sure Adventure Pilot isn't going to go that far.
It doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just out of curiosity. I like to keep up with what the business is doing these days.

I don't want to mess around with the EFB code although, if asked, I'd probably be willing to port it to linux for free just for the challenge.

On the other hand, I could just build my RV-10 and go flying :), which would undoubtedly be the more sensible approach, and leave s/ware development to younger engineers.

Last edited:
For those interested, I have now run EFB in a container on ubuntu linux on a very old i5 laptop. Runs pretty near native speed from what I can tell.

My next step is to implement the Stratux code on the i5 and get it to work with EFB. Once I have done that I will move it to the PI 4 (just because I have one) and try to make it work there.

iFly is built on Xamarin/C#, almost entirely, with about 95% code-reuse for all 3 supported platforms: Windows, iOS, and Android.

And we have no current plans to target Linux, although it should be achievable, given that Xamarin can run there too. There just isn't much detectable market pull currently. The most likely pull for Linux, if it comes, would be from a govt' contract where they want iFly to run on their on-board Linux system. If something like that came onto our plates -- we'd expend a few months of effort, and make it work, although I don't know if we'd be releasing that version publicly, as the support costs may exceed the business benefit.

Hi Brian. Thanks for the detailed response. I get it...after a career running s/ware development companies...

For my own purposes, right now running EFB in a container is working fine. As I am supposed to be retired I am just really messing with having EFB and the stratux code run on the same box out of personal interest so as I experience success, or not, I will likely post notes here. That said, it isn't a priority for me as I am pretty busy...but every now and then I get motivated to do some development.

Thanks for a great product (although I preferred a lot of the UI on the beta) :)

Back