Lost all my maps! What happened?

PA28-140/160

Reaction score
Because my 740 was in the shop for repair, I downloaded EFB to my Samsung Tab S2 8" (32GB). It worked really nicely for 4 recent x-country flights and, since it acts almost exactly like my 740, I had no problems using it.

While visiting friends on Sunday, I turned the tablet on and started to do my flight planning for the trip home. I was on their wifi and had no issues. With the tablet charging (it's a slow charger), suddenly all my map layers were gone! No sectionals, no Low Enroute charts, just a white background with some random intersections showing. My flight plan magenta course showed but on a white background.

After trying everything I could think of (including rebooting, restarting, checking settings, etc), I ran out of ideas. So I uninstalled the iFlyEFB and reinstalled it. The maps came back. Of course, I had to re-configure to my settings, instruments, etc and download all the current charts again. After an hour of doing all that, with my departure wx window closing, the maps disappeared again!

Now what? I had an expired sectional so I figured we'll get home old school style...IFR...I Follow Roads. Luckily, I knew how to avoid the Class B we are very close to (under).

So we loaded our gear into the plane, started the EFB and, miraculously, the sectionals came up! And it connected to the ADS-B receiver, so it seemed we were good to go. Our flight home was without incident, the EFB worked fine, so what happened? Any ideas out there?

I'm on my home wifi right now and, charging or not, the EFB is working fine.

Because my 740 was in the shop for repair, I downloaded EFB to my Samsung Tab S2 8" (32GB). It worked really nicely for 4 recent x-country flights and, since it acts almost exactly like my 740, I had no problems using it.

While visiting friends on Sunday, I turned the tablet on and started to do my flight planning for the trip home. I was on their wifi and had no issues. With the tablet charging (it's a slow charger), suddenly all my map layers were gone! No sectionals, no Low Enroute charts, just a white background with some random intersections showing. My flight plan magenta course showed but on a white background.

After trying everything I could think of (including rebooting, restarting, checking settings, etc), I ran out of ideas. So I uninstalled the iFlyEFB and reinstalled it. The maps came back. Of course, I had to re-configure to my settings, instruments, etc and download all the current charts again. After an hour of doing all that, with my departure wx window closing, the maps disappeared again!

Now what? I had an expired sectional so I figured we'll get home old school style...IFR...I Follow Roads. Luckily, I knew how to avoid the Class B we are very close to (under).

So we loaded our gear into the plane, started the EFB and, miraculously, the sectionals came up! And it connected to the ADS-B receiver, so it seemed we were good to go. Our flight home was without incident, the EFB worked fine, so what happened? Any ideas out there?

I'm on my home wifi right now and, charging or not, the EFB is working fine.
Are you using a removal SD Card? In our experience, these weird one-off failures of this nature, can indicate a failing SD Card, which means it can come back. This is only a guess -- I give it ~50% chance of being the root culprit.

Additionally, do you have "Menu => Settings => Device Sync" set to Auto-Upload your files? If so, then when you re-install our software, you can then use "Device Sync" to RESTORE your settings/instruments/etc. And so the only big thing you lose is our map data -- which can be fixed with an hour+ of downloading. This is our attempt to make this situation of reinstall much more painless (other than the time delay for redownloading map data).

Hi Brian,
I have not added an SD card to the tablet. It's the original 32GB internal memory. That would make sense about a "failing" card but I don't have one.

RE: Auto-Upload Files? I didn't know it was possible until after I had uninstalled the software. :( I have since, however, done that to the cloud.

BTW, I feel like I will max out the 32GB if I load a bunch of states. I have a trip this fall from FL to MI. Should I plug in a 128 SD card?

Rob

Over the past week, I have been back and forth with AP regarding the "lost maps" issue. After trying virtually everything, uninstalling, reinstalling, downloading data 8 times, changing screen settings, gen config settings, etc., nothing works. I can get it to work properly but I have to restart the app 3 - 5 times before the maps come up. Once the maps (vfr & ifr) come up, the app seems to work properly, but this is not exactly reassuring.

My latest attempt was to install a new 128GB SD card, factory reset the tablet and load everything onto the SD card. No change. Since I'm the only one who has this problem, I'm assuming it has something to do with my tablet. So I'm throwing this question out here:

Anyone else running iFly EFB on a Samsung Tab S2 8" (32GB) with Android 7? I have seen at least one other person on the forum with this tablet who has no problem.

I use the EFB as a backup to my 740 and would prefer not to have to buy a new tablet to experiment further. If I do have to replace it, I would appreciate any recommendations for a tablet (around 8") that won't break the bank. If iFly EFB had NMEA to the USB, I would definitely consider a high end tablet but not at this time since it is currently used for backup purposes.

Thanks!

Rob

How are you installing iFly EFB? Are you pulling it down from the Play Store or are you pulling down the APK from https://www.iflyefb.com/AndroidAPK? Have you tried both ways? I would also recommend downloading a single State (just for testing so it will take much less time) VFR only and test with just that data. If it works fine continue to add other layers to the single state and see where/when the issue starts happening.

In the end it could very well be your tablet and the operating memory (not the storage memory). Depending on the age of the tablet, you might contact Samsung for a warranty replacement. Amazon has a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 64GB storage (internal... no card) WiFi only for $125. This is the Android tablet I'm currently using and it works just fine for me. I use the tablet solely for flying so I only have iFly EFB and two other aviation support apps installed. I know this isn't a solution to your problem but might be a viable alternative to the headache of continuous troubleshooting that appears to be leading to no solution. It may also be another way to duplicate exactly what you are doing with the S2 and seeing if you get a different result with another tablet.

Amazon link

You definitely have a weird problem. I can't recall hearing of a similar one. I myself have never had a problem with any of my Samsung phones or tablets. If you're willing to do it, I would recommend doing a factory reset on your tablet.

Regarding your comment about NMEA output via USB -- that sounds like it's in the works.

[Edit: whoops, just re-read the whole thread and I see you already did a factory reset. If this is just for backup, and you're biding time until NMEA output (hopefully) comes, then what about loading EFB on your phone?]

Anyone else running iFly EFB on a Samsung Tab S2 8" (32GB) with Android 7? I have seen at least one other person on the forum with this tablet who has no problem.
I have an S2 8", but I haven't tried running EFB on it yet. It's a very old tablet and its battery is quite compromised, so it's tough for me to keep it charged. It also doesn't boot properly unless the battery is near full charge. As a result, it pretty much just sits in a drawer.

But I pulled it out and plugged it in, so if/when it charges enough to boot, I'll see if I can install EFB and download some charts.

Gatormyk, Hook & Cobra,
Thanks for all the support! Here's what I am doing: Returning the Tab S2 (amazon), bought the Tab A7 Lite 64GB (amazon, thanks for the lead Gatormyk), and maybe I can have a reliable backup to the 740. I may even get some $ back! Yes Hook...I'm also hopeful the the NMEA out to USB is in the near future. From what I hear, maybe they'll work on it after OSH. 🤞 I love it for my AV-30's. The HSI works great!

Cobra...thanks for your offer but since I am returning the S2 it's kind of a moot point. Might be interesting though if yours charges. I think it is my unit but...??? Who knows since I'm the only one with the issue! I didn't think I was taxing the memory too much. I first loaded only FL and had the problem, even after the installation of the 128GB SD. Then I loaded GA with no change in the glitches. I run nothing other than the EFB...it's a dedicated unit.

This may be off topic but does anyone know how much memory is required for around 10 states? I'm doing a major trip (in a Cherokee: adventure) this fall and need to cover from FL to MI. I have the 128 gig card but would I need more?

Flying without paper charts can be risky (my 740 has quit before...luckily I had an expired sectional and VOR), and especially with the upcoming trip, I'll need a reliable backup...and it's actually getting harder to find paper sectionals these days.

Gatormyk, Hook & Cobra,
Thanks for all the support! Here's what I am doing: Returning the Tab S2 (amazon), bought the Tab A7 Lite 64GB (amazon, thanks for the lead Gatormyk), and maybe I can have a reliable backup to the 740. I may even get some $ back! Yes Hook...I'm also hopeful the the NMEA out to USB is in the near future. From what I hear, maybe they'll work on it after OSH. 🤞 I love it for my AV-30's. The HSI works great!

Cobra...thanks for your offer but since I am returning the S2 it's kind of a moot point. Might be interesting though if yours charges. I think it is my unit but...??? Who knows since I'm the only one with the issue! I didn't think I was taxing the memory too much. I first loaded only FL and had the problem, even after the installation of the 128GB SD. Then I loaded GA with no change in the glitches. I run nothing other than the EFB...it's a dedicated unit.

This may be off topic but does anyone know how much memory is required for around 10 states? I'm doing a major trip (in a Cherokee: adventure) this fall and need to cover from FL to MI. I have the 128 gig card but would I need more?

Flying without paper charts can be risky (my 740 has quit before...luckily I had an expired sectional and VOR), and especially with the upcoming trip, I'll need a reliable backup...and it's actually getting harder to find paper sectionals these days.
When you select the 10 states including the map layers and other options u need doesn't it tell u how much is about to be downloaded? I'm thinking 64GB storage should be more than plenty as well as double that with your 128GB card, but I'm just guessing.

@Brian may know the answer for all 50 states including all of the IFR charts/plates and whatever all you IFR pilots need/use. He may be able to give you an answer if you provide the list of the 10 states and what options you want downloaded as all states are not created equal. Example, if 1 state is Texas... that's a pretty big download right there compared to our neighbor to the north, Oklahoma.

Cobra...thanks for your offer but since I am returning the S2 it's kind of a moot point.
????

OK...but now I'm wondering if we're talking about the same device. The Samsung Tab S2 8" that I have was released in 2012 so it's well over 10 years old. Even with Amazon's generous return policies, I think I'd have a hard time getting a refund on mine!

Did you maybe buy a used device from a smaller company that sells through the Amazon website or something??

Last edited:
The storage required for 10 states can vary widely depending on whether you're talking 10 states like TX, CA, and FL or 10 like LA, AR, and MO. Regardless, if all you're using the tablet for is iFly, then 128GB will be way more than you need even for all 50 states. I think the whole dataset is somewhere on the order of 25GB or less.

For an exact number, on a phone or tablet you can select the states and start the download, and iFly will show you how much data it will take.

Cobra,

I got it on amazon through a refurb place. I wanted this one because of the price, right size and the AMOLED bright screen. I bought it with the understanding that it was returnable. I was surprised that it looked absolutely brand new and the battery life was good. I figured that, if it worked, it would run the EFB. I cant imagine that the refurb process could mess up the operating system BUT...maybe it did? Anyway, it's going back.

And thanks for the reassurance that I'll have enough storage. I know the "states" thing is a bit confusing. I guess it's more of a "sectional" and "IFR low" coverage thing. When I loaded FL, quite a bit of GA was included because its on the JAX sectional. By contrast, where I'm going in MI, four sectionals are required. Then there's the enroute low alt charts. On the 740, we load sectionals and low enroute charts, not states. Either way, it works fine.

Cobra,

I got it on amazon through a refurb place.
Gotcha. I'm a little surprised these are still selling as refurbs, as 10+ years is an eon in the world of tablets. But I agree that the size is essentially perfect for use the cockpit--I'm using a 10" tablet these days, and it's really too big, but there just aren't (m)any choices in the 8-9" range anymore.

FWIW, I did install the latest beta version of EFB on my Tab S2 and the maps loaded up just fine, just like they always have on that device. I really have no idea what was causing your situation.

Here's how it ended up. I returned the Samsung Tab S2 (refurb) to Amazon. Ordered the $125 (used) Tab A7 that was referenced by Gatormyk. Fly by night company (fulfilled by AMZ) kept rolling back the delivery date and after reading their reviews, cancelled the order. Ordered a new Nokia T10 8" with 64GB on board. Loaded iFlyEFB and...voila! Works just fine. Downside: screen brightness. It's nowhere near the brightness and clarity of the Samsung AMOLED screen but, since it's a backup to my 740, it'll work fine. Receives wifi from my pathfinder ADSB receiver. I put in the 128GB SD card and it's working well. I have loaded 12 states so far and no issues.

Thanks to all of you who helped diagnose the problem as the tablet and not the software. It's a really nice and helpful forum. You guys are great!

Rob

Fun
Here's how it ended up. I returned the Samsung Tab S2 (refurb) to Amazon. Ordered the $125 (used) Tab A7 that was referenced by Gatormyk. Fly by night company (fulfilled by AMZ) kept rolling back the delivery date and after reading their reviews, cancelled the order. Ordered a new Nokia T10 8" with 64GB on board. Loaded iFlyEFB and...voila! Works just fine. Downside: screen brightness. It's nowhere near the brightness and clarity of the Samsung AMOLED screen but, since it's a backup to my 740, it'll work fine. Receives wifi from my pathfinder ADSB receiver. I put in the 128GB SD card and it's working well. I have loaded 12 states so far and no issues.

Thanks to all of you who helped diagnose the problem as the tablet and not the software. It's a really nice and helpful forum. You guys are great!

Rob
Funny nobody mentioned it, but when you described a white background w your Magenta course line and some intersections, my first thought was that your Map Mode got changed from VFR to Vectors. Try that and see if it looks like what you saw:)

Back