Moving Ownship on map; how to?

bobw75087

Reaction score
My PC does not have a GPS chip embedded (like many non-cellular iPads). The result is that my Ownship is stuck in the middle of SD somewhere. How can I force it show in my current location? ((If this has already been asked, apologies. I could not find it.))

When a flight plan is in effect, iFly places your aircraft icon at the beginning of the flight plan. So, create a flight plan with just one waypoint: where you want the plane to be. (BTW, if it's an airport, I suggest you create a waypoint slightly to the side of the airport so your aircraft icon doesn't get in the way of you clicking on the airport itself.). Then close the flight plan page to return to the map page. Your aircraft will be where you want. At that point you can return to the flight plan page and clear the flight plan -- but I would suggest that you save it first so you can use it again in the future.

When a flight plan is in effect, iFly places your aircraft icon at the beginning of the flight plan. So, create a flight plan with just one waypoint: where you want the plane to be. (BTW, if it's an airport, I suggest you create a waypoint slightly to the side of the airport so your aircraft icon doesn't get in the way of you clicking on the airport itself.). Then close the flight plan page to return to the map page. Your aircraft will be where you want. At that point you can return to the flight plan page and clear the flight plan -- but I would suggest that you save it first so you can use it again in the future.
Sorry to report that doesnt work. Have done a few diff plans on the PC since I found Ownship in SD, and nothing i do incuding adding that as the starting position in FP, moves the icon. Added, moved and Deleted WP; no change. Annoying, but I guess I'll live with it.

It has worked for me in the past, and it worked some of the time today. I'm not sure what the difference is that causes it to work or not work as I described it, and if something changed (because I swear this used to always work). I tried multiple scenarios of forcing the aircraft icon to be away from it's normal spot, and then trying to get it back. Most of the time, it did not work.

Here's one way to force it: define a 2-waypoint flight plan. The first point is where you want the aircraft icon. The second doesn't matter. Then click on Menu | Start Simulation Mode | Auto-Fly Flight Plan | (select the slowest speed: 100 kts). That will start you at your first waypoint. Then click Menu | Stop Simulation Mode. At that point you can clear the flight plan.

Last edited:
Hook's "fly a simulation where you want the ownship to be" trick was what I was going to suggest.

Re: Windows location data, even if your PC doesn't have a GPS chip, Windows has other tricks to determine an approximate location, primarily via your IP address. You have to have the "Windows Location" feature enabled for this to work (type "location" into the Windows search field and it will probably pop up the right settings window). This is not foolproof--depending on your ISP, your location might appear to be in the right town but not exactly on top of your house, or it might be in another state. If you use a VPN but select a different location, then Windows might spot you where your VPN host is...in which case, if you can choose a VPN host in your town, that might solve your problem.

Back