Multi device syncing

harold_velez

Reaction score
I bring 2 iPads with me when I fly. One primary, and the other as a backup. Is it possible to copy/sync data between iPads (e.g., configuration parameters, aircraft profiles, stored notes/flight plans, etc.)? If not, I submit this as a suggested new feature. It could be accomplished via WiFi, tether cable between iPads, or perhaps offloading a data file from the source iPad, and uploading it to a receiving iPad.

Solution
Yes, absolutely this capability exists! First, make sure both devices are connected to the Internet and logged into your account. Then:
  1. From the source device (the one you want to copy data FROM), go to Menu > Setup > Sync Devices... > Upload files to Server
  2. Select the data types you want to upload to the Adventure Pilot cloud, and click Upload. The upload will probably only take a few moments.
  3. Still on the source device, go back to main map screen and choose Menu > Setup > Sync Devices.... again. Take note of the gobbledegook code associated with "This device".
    1. Since you have two iPads, you can't just use the device type to differentiate which is which, like you could if you had an iPad and an iPhone. The...
Yes, absolutely this capability exists! First, make sure both devices are connected to the Internet and logged into your account. Then:
  1. From the source device (the one you want to copy data FROM), go to Menu > Setup > Sync Devices... > Upload files to Server
  2. Select the data types you want to upload to the Adventure Pilot cloud, and click Upload. The upload will probably only take a few moments.
  3. Still on the source device, go back to main map screen and choose Menu > Setup > Sync Devices.... again. Take note of the gobbledegook code associated with "This device".
    1. Since you have two iPads, you can't just use the device type to differentiate which is which, like you could if you had an iPad and an iPhone. The gobbledegook is device-unique, so that's how you'll differentiate multiple devices of the same type.
    2. If you only ever upload data from a single device, then this step may not be necessary since you'll only see a single device in your list. But if you ever upload data from your second device, or if you upgrade to newer iPad(s) in the future and want to make a newer device your "source" device for future data transfers, you'll need to pay attention to these gobbledegook unique identifiers to tell which iPad is which.
  4. Change to the destination device (the one you want to copy data TO), and go to Menu > Setup > Sync Devices...
  5. Select the iPad with the gobbledegook unique identifier noted in step 3 above to download from.
  6. Select which data you want to copy from the AP cloud down to the destination device, and click Download
That may look like a lot of words, but it's really not complicated. Once you do it and see how it works, it's very intuitive, and you'll never look at this post again.

A couple more notes:
  • Since this action moves data through the AP cloud instead of directly from device-to-device, this doesn't have to be done with both devices on the same network. You can upload from the source device in your living room and download to the destination device in the FBO lobby the next day, for instance.
  • There is also a different way to share flight plans between devices on the same wi-fi network in real-time, device-to-device. I use this for instance with two tablets in the cockpit tied to my ADSB receiver's wi-fi, with the prime tablet on my yoke and the backup on the co-pilot's yoke.
    • From the prime device, select Flight Plan > More Options > Share with Local Devices...
    • If you only want to send a single snapshot of your FP to the other device, uncheck "Auto-Share Changes". Otherwise, any subsequent changes you make to the FP during the flight will auto-sync with the backup device within a few seconds.
    • Click "Share Plan".
    • On the backup device, watch for the dialog to pop up asking if you want to accept flight plan updates from the prime device, and click the button to accept (I don't have a second device handy to see what that dialog specifically says, but it's intuitive.)
    • FYI, this is a one-way link. FP changes on the backup device will not get pushed back to the source device (and in fact if auto-update was selected, I think the source will overwrite any changes to the backup's FP unless the auto-sharing is terminated).
    • FP sharing can be turned off via Flight Plan > More Options > Stop sharing on local devices (on the source machine; I think the destination might say "Stop receiving from local devices" or similar).
    • If you don't manually terminate it during the flight, the link will still terminate when you exit out of iFly and will need to be manually re-started the next time you fly.
    • This feature works like a radio station broadcasting to radio receivers.
      • The source device sends out the updates, and any number of backup devices can pick up the updates.
      • If the source broadcast is terminated, all backup devices stop hearing the updates.
      • If a backup device terminates its updates, it doesn't stop the source from sending updates or stop any other backup devices from receiving them.
      • All devices have to be on the same wi-fi network ("tuned to the same station") to participate in this sharing method.
    • Again, despite my penchant for typing long messages, it's really very intuitive. After you do it once, you'll get how it works and won't ever look at this post again.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Solution
    • The source device sends out the updates, and any number of backup devices can pick up the updates.
    • If the source broadcast is terminated, all backup devices stop hearing the updates.
    • If a backup device terminates its updates, it doesn't stop the source from sending updates or stop any other backup devices from receiving them.
    • All devices have to be on the same wi-fi network ("tuned to the same station") to participate in this sharing method.
That was a really nice, simple explanation of how the share info between devices feature works; well done. Thanks for taking the time to outline both processes. I stumbled with the Sync Devices the first time I tried it when it was first launched and didn't get the results I expected. I had to slow down and really read what was happening. Your explanation will make it easier for new users to understand it. Just need to make it easier for users to find info like this without wandering through the forums.

Tony

I wonder if maybe we should start a "Tips and Tricks" subforum...?
I think so. There might need to be some extra editing on the post after tips are made and the debate on best way to explain or do goes back and forth but I think it could get distilled down pretty well. Will have to work to keep each thread focused on the topic.

It could potentially be a curated space. Maybe all posts are no-replies-allowed or something, to reduce clutter/confusion. If someone has comments, they can use one of the other forums to throw stones, and the original post author can edit as appropriate.

I'll think about it a little more.

1. Since you have two iPads, you can't just use the device type to differentiate which is which, like you could if you had an iPad and an iPhone. The gobbledegook is device-unique, so that's how you'll differentiate multiple devices of the same type.
    2. If you only ever upload data from a single device, then this step may not be necessary since you'll only see a single device in your list. But if you ever upload data from your second device, or if you upgrade to newer iPad(s) in the future and want to make a newer device your "source" device for future data transfers, you'll need to pay attention to these gobbledegook unique identifiers to tell which iPad is which.
  4. Change to the destination device (the one you want to copy data TO), and go to Menu > Setup > Sync Devices...
  5. Select the iPad with the gobbledegook unique identifier noted in step 3 above to download from.
  6. Select which data you want to copy from the AP cloud down to the destination device, and click Download
That may look like a lot of words, but it's really not complicated. Once you do it and see how it works, it's very intuitive, and you'll never look at this post again.

A couple more notes:
  • Since this action moves data through the AP cloud instead of directly from device-to-device, this doesn't have to be done with both devices on the same network. You can upload from the source device in your living room and download to the destination device in the FBO lobby the next day, for instance.
  • There is also a different way to share flight plans between devices on the same wi-fi network in real-time, device-to-device. I use this for instance with two tablets in the cockpit tied to my ADSB receiver's wi-fi, with the prime tablet on my yoke and the backup on the co-pilot's yoke.
    • From the prime device, select Flight Plan > More Options > Share with Local Devices...
    • If you only want to send a single snapshot of your FP to the other device, uncheck "Auto-Share Changes". Otherwise, any subsequent changes you make to the FP during the flight will auto-sync with the backup device within a few seconds.
    • Click "Share Plan".
    • On the backup device, watch for the dialog to pop up asking if you want to accept flight plan updates from the prime device, and click the button to accept (I don't have a second device handy to see what that dialog specifically says, but it's intuitive.)
    • FYI, this is a one-way link. FP changes on the backup device will not get pushed back to the source device (and in fact if auto-update was selected, I think the source will overwrite any changes to the backup's FP unless the auto-sharing is terminated).
    • FP sharing can be turned off via Flight Plan > More Options > Stop sharing on local devices (on the source machine; I think the destination might say "Stop receiving from local devices" or similar).
    • If you don't manually terminate it during the flight, the link will still terminate when you exit out of iFly and will need to be manually re-started the next time you fly.
    • Again, despite my penchant for typing long messages, it's really very intuitive. After you do it once, you'll get how it works and won't ever look at this post again.
Hope that helps.
Thank you Cobra. That was awesome.
So, I was following your procedure and found something interesting. When I tapped on Sync devices, two other devices were listed under the "Sync from which Device?" list in addition to the source device. I suppose these are from the previous owner. These iPads were included with the aircraft I purchased from this fellow. The point is that now I'd like to get a fresh clean slate and remove the "excess" devices. Is this possible?

A couple more notes:
    • Click "Share Plan".
Hope that helps.
@Cobra !!
Home run. 120%, A++ with extra credit. Answer-of-the-year-award! Thanks Jim, I think we could cut/paste this into centralized User Documentation verbatim, and it would already be perfect. Many many thanks!

Last edited:
So, I was following your procedure and found something interesting. When I tapped on Sync devices, two other devices were listed under the "Sync from which Device?" list in addition to the source device. I suppose these are from the previous owner. These iPads were included with the aircraft I purchased from this fellow. The point is that now I'd like to get a fresh clean slate and remove the "excess" devices. Is this possible?
I assume he gave you his "iFly Subscriptions" which are tied to his email, right? If so, try this:

Menu => About => My Account

From the account page, tap "Deregister Device" button at the bottom, and it will show you the list of devices attached to this subscription/account.

But if you have your own subscription tied to your own email/account, then to put each device onto YOUR account, you have to uninstall iFly EFB, and then re-install it.... and do "Menu => Get Subscription" then log in to your account/email -- and this will attach that device to YOUR account.

To add on to Brian's reply...

I agree with him that it sounds like you're the beneficiary of the remainder of the previous owner's data subscription. You can check to see how much time is left on that subscription via Menu > About > My Account. It will show you which subscription you he purchased, and how long before it expires.

Check whether it just says "Base Subscription", or if it also says "Includes Multi-platform add-on". I think to have two iPads connected, you need the multi add on. You can decide if you want to continue using two iPads or not, but the add-on lets you have up to 5 devices attached to your account, in any combo of iOS, Android, Windows, or iFly Portable devices. I think the Base subscription lets you have one iOS, Android, OR Windows device, plus one iFly Portable device.

Those other devices in the list right now aren't hurting anything, and you can just ignore them until your current subscription runs out. Whenever you're ready to buy a new subscription, you can do that from the iFly EFB Store webpage. Here's a direct link to the subscription options: https://iflygps.com/Store/subscriptions.

Note that the iFly EFB website is a separate site from this forum and requires its own account credentials. Those are the same credentials you'll enter into the iFly app after your subscription purchase to get it connected to that subscription. As Brian explained, once you're own your own subscription, you'll only see the devices you've connected to it, so the devices from the previous owner will no longer appear.

Whatever you do, DON'T DEREGISTER your current devices until you have a subscription of your own. Since you don't know the previous owner's credentials, you won't be able to re-attach to his subscription after you de-register, so you'll need to have your own subscription to attach to or else you won't be able to update data when it expires.

Last edited:
To add on to Brian's reply...

I agree with him that it sounds like you're the beneficiary of the remainder of the previous owner's data subscription. You can check to see how much time is left on that subscription via Menu > About > My Account. It will show you which subscription you he purchased, and how long before it expires.

Check whether it just says "Base Subscription", or if it also says "Includes Multi-platform add-on". I think to have two iPads connected, you need the multi add on. You can decide if you want to continue using two iPads or not, but the add-on lets you have up to 5 devices attached to your account, in any combo of iOS, Android, Windows, or iFly Portable devices. I think the Base subscription lets you have one iOS, Android, OR Windows device, plus one iFly Portable device.

Those other devices in the list right now aren't hurting anything, and you can just ignore them until your current subscription runs out. Whenever you're ready to buy a new subscription, you can do that from the iFly EFB Store webpage. Here's a direct link to the subscription options: https://iflygps.com/Store/subscriptions.

Note that the iFly EFB website is a separate site from this forum and requires its own account credentials. Those are the same credentials you'll enter into the iFly app after your subscription purchase to get it connected to that subscription. As Brian explained, once you're own your own subscription, you'll only see the devices you've connected to it, so the devices from the previous owner will no longer appear.

Whatever you do, DON'T DEREGISTER your current devices until you have a subscription of your own. Since you don't know the previous owner's credentials, you won't be able to re-attach to his subscription after you de-register, so you'll need to have your own subscription to attach to or else you won't be able to update data when it expires.
Is the multi device add on subscription for more than one or more than two devices? The way it’s phrased online is more than two but it keeps telling me I need the add on for my iPhone in addition to my android.

From the iFlyEFB website (here):

The base subscription may be installed on up to 2 devices of the same platform - either 2 Android or 2 iOS devices. In addition 1 iFly Portable device may be included in the base subscription.

The Multi-Platform option, if selected, will allow the subscription to be used on up to 4 Android or iOS devices, and will support mixing of platforms. In addition, 1 iFly Portable device may also be included in this subscription, for a maximum of 5 devices.

So, to use an iPhone plus and Android tablet would require the mutli-platform option.

Is the multi device add on subscription for more than one or more than two devices? The way it’s phrased online is more than two but it keeps telling me I need the add on for my iPhone in addition to my android.
My understanding.... With the multi-platform, you may install iFly on a total of four different devices. The four devices may be from different manufacturers. I have the multi-platform and I currently have iFly installed on two different Apple iPads, one Android Samsung tablet and one Windows 10 computer.

My understanding.... With the multi-platform, you may install iFly on a total of four different devices. The four devices may be from different manufacturers. I have the multi-platform and I currently have iFly installed on two different Apple iPads, one Android Samsung tablet and one Windows 10 computer.
As I quoted from the iFly EFB website above, multi-platform will support up to 4 non-iFly portable devices, PLUS one iFly portable device.

So, it'll support up to 4 devices if you don't have any iFly portables, and up to five if one of those devices is an iFly portable.

Multi device synching works fine with my Android devices when using home WiFi but has never worked using the Stratus3 WiFi.

Tom-

Multi device synching works fine with my Android devices when using home WiFi but has never worked using the Stratus3 WiFi.

Tom-

The Stratus 3 wifi is not an internet connection. It is a data connection to supply ADS-B data and has no access to the world web (which is required to access our servers) . I hope this helps!

I understand that Stratus3 doesn't have an internet connection.

I incorrectly used the term synching when I'm simply trying to share a flight plan selection from one device to the other when both are connected to the same Stratus3 WiFi.........this has long been a known issue.

Tom-
What Tom said. Syncing goes through the AP cloud so it requires an Internet connection.

You might find the info in reply #2 helpful. Note that it starts out with, "First, make sure both devices are connected to the Internet and logged into your account."

Please take the time to read and understand my response #19, I'm NOT trying to sync using the Stratus3 WiFi merely attempting to share a flight plan selection as described in the second part of #2 response.

This is a long standing acknowledged issue that I had hoped would be resolved but after multiple attempts it clearly remains unresolved.

Please take the time to read and understand my response #19, I'm NOT trying to sync using the Stratus3 WiFi merely attempting to share a flight plan selection as described in the second part of #2 response.

This is a long standing acknowledged issue that I had hoped would be resolved but after multiple attempts it clearly remains unresolved.
My apologies. In AP terminology, "device synching" (the term you used in reply #17) is the function that uses the cloud, which is why Tom and I responded as we did. (And for some reason, your #19 reply didn't appear for me when I opened this thread, so I only saw Tom's response #18.)

"Flight plan sharing" is the terminology AP uses to refer to real-time flight plan pushing from one device to others on the same WiFi network.

Last edited:

Tom-
Sharing Flight Plans between my devices works reliably when using my $100 Stratux that I built 5 years ago. Technically, that it just a data steam as well. It's just done over WiFi with no actual connection to the internet. Syncing all other information between devices requires a connection to the internet.

Back