New iFly tablet vs Android tablet comparison?

F1Rocket

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
I am wondering why one should buy the new iFly tablet vs just using iFly on an Android tablet? I know there must be some good reasons. Thanks for anyone's help with this question.

If you have an Android tablet that meets your needs, then there is no benefit to buying the iFly Aviation Tablet.

The iFly tablet is rugged, can tolerate very high temperatures without overheating/shutting down, has a pretty bright screen, and an external frame accessory can be purchased that allows data output ports that aren't available on most typical Android tablets. If you're looking for those specific features, the iFly Aviation Tablet can be a great solution.

If you don't need those specific features and some other Android tablet satisfies your needs, then it's fine to stick with whatever Android tablet works for you.

Screen brightness and heat tolerance are the two big drivers for me. I'm thinking I'll get one to replace my aging 740 while it's on sale now.

For me, I like dedicated devices. If I owned an airplane, the tablet would a great buy. No other tablet is as bright or handles the heat. Also, finding a decent android tablet at a smaller size is hard. I am not an ipad fan and purchased an alldocube mini 50 pro, sounds cheap huh?! Well, it is a good tablet for the price and gets the job done. Everything works perfectly, has gps and more. I think it is a great alternative to an ipad... but I think the ifly tablet would beat them all out if I had to use case for it. I put a rugged case on the mini 50. The only other android tablet I can see working well is the samsung active 3 or 5. Rugged, spen, bright screen, timely android updates, etc. I think the ifly has its place for dedicated use and I am sure one day I might own one.

Does the new iFly tablet run android with the standard EFB software or is it a custom build?

Does the new iFly tablet run android with the standard EFB software or is it a custom build?
It's the same Android version of iFly EFB that any (modern) Android device would run. (Older Android versions max out at v12.)

So based on that, if my android tablet has a physical serial port will I be able to drive the auto pilot from it?

So based on that, if my android tablet has a physical serial port will I be able to drive the auto pilot from it?
No idea.

I'd be curious to hear where you found an Android tablet with a serial port on it, though.

There are a bunch of manufactures that make them with serial ports standard, others provide docks, some have expansion cards. I have dozen or so different ones in my office. Zebra, Kcosit are some that stock them $200-400. There are others that are in the $1k+ that are not worth considering for an application like this. Mainly industrial or medical use. Finally you can get quiet a few from Chinese tech aggregators directly or from Alibaba for under $300. We abuse the heck out of devices in testing and the reality "rugged" many times just means another $100 or 2.

Very interesting! Do have any that are in the 1200 Nit brightness range as well?
Yes, but a specific nit level is not what really matters. It is like throwing out engine sizes to gauge how fast your car will go. We use devices that as low as 700 nits in direct sunlight in Florida. It is more about the contrast and the reflectivity of the surface of the screen. So much so, even mil and SAE specs for screens such as 87213 focus on contrast at specific light levels. Some devices throw additional energy at the screen to compensate for visual design but that comes at a price, heat.

In many situations a very inexpensive matte anti-glare screen protector will make a world of difference. I have one on my Mini 6 and I fly an RV. I dont have overheating issues nor do my older eyes have an issue reading the iPad.

Last edited:
I didn't have a tablet that worked well. My iPad is too big...my Android phone is too small. Was going to but something like a Samsung Note, but then AP put their table on sale during Osh. So while more expensive than a regular tablet, I bit the bullet.
New tablet arrived today. In initial impressions are it's solid. it's heavy and feels pretty tough. Screen is bright, but I haven't tried it outside yet. I did experience a software issue with laying out the instruments, but updating the software fixed it.

I too like having a dedicated device. This think is too heavy to use ad a general purpose tablet, but the ability to load other aviation related apps on it is a plus. I'll put a sim card in it and install the Leidos app and my electronic flight log to start.

Last edited:
Back