New iFly Tablet

BearDog

Reaction score
Just got the newsletter that mentioned the overwhelming OSH response of the new tablet and the plans to move forward.

I have 3 requests:

1. Keep up the phenomenal work on the software. Y'all are doing a great job with updates and added features.
2. Make it drive an autopilot. Pick the big name, or pick them all....but make it work. (GRT...hint hint)
3. Make the internal hardware at, or near, top of the line. My only complaint with the 740 line was the "jerkiness". My android phone, my iPad 4, heck even my old Nexus 7 was infinitely faster and smoother than the 740. After several flights, that one issue was literally the only reason I took it out of my cockpit. It now resides on a bench in my hangar because of it. Make it seamless.

Thanks for your support! We really appreciate it!
The iFly EFB Aviation Tablet will be able to do the same autopilot functions as the 740/740b, just make sure if you decide to buy it to get the docking station because it uses that to connect to your autopilot with a serial cable. The tablet is also much faster than the 740b and completely smooth so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with that.

Just got the newsletter that mentioned the overwhelming OSH response of the new tablet and the plans to move forward.

I have 3 requests:
3. Make the internal hardware at, or near, top of the line.
It sounds like you are unaware that not only is the hardware for the device in question already selected, it is in fact already for sale. You can find it here:

I started with an iFly 700 (don't remember the year), then 720, currently use the 740B. I have always operated them in the Portrait mode mounted on the yoke using a RAM mount. Will this new tablet do the same?

Does it charge using USB-C rather then 12V? Do I need to add a USB port?

Is the screen brightness comparable to the 740B? Two of my planes are Grumman AA-1s with a bubble canopies. Brightness is a concern.

I started with an iFly 700 (don't remember the year), then 720, currently use the 740B. I have always operated them in the Portrait mode mounted on the yoke using a RAM mount. Will this new tablet do the same?

Does it charge using USB-C rather then 12V? Do I need to add a USB port?

Is the screen brightness comparable to the 740B? Two of my planes are Grumman AA-1s with a bubble canopies. Brightness is a concern.
Did you try following the link above? Here it is again for convenience: iFly EFB > Store > iFly EFB Aviation Tablet

From there, scroll down and review the tabs for Specifications, Docking Mount, and FAQ. You can add a RAM mount interface to it. It has a DC power input. The brightness is 800 nits.

I have 3 requests:

1. Keep up the phenomenal work on the software. Y'all are doing a great job with updates and added features.
2. Make it drive an autopilot. Pick the big name, or pick them all....but make it work. (GRT...hint hint)
3. Make the internal hardware at, or near, top of the line. My only complaint with the 740 line was the "jerkiness". My android phone, my iPad 4, heck even my old Nexus 7 was infinitely faster and smoother than the 740. After several flights, that one issue was literally the only reason I took it out of my cockpit. It now resides on a bench in my hangar because of it. Make it seamless.
BearDog interested in selling your 740?

Did you try following the link above? Here it is again for convenience: iFly EFB > Store > iFly EFB Aviation Tablet

From there, scroll down and review the tabs for Specifications, Docking Mount, and FAQ. You can add a RAM mount interface to it. It has a DC power input. The brightness is 800 nits.

If the 14 oz 740B has 1100 nits on its 800 x 480 screen, is the new 28 oz device at 800 nits 800 x 280 screen really a step forward?

The online spec sheet should also check usage of the GPU listed as "Adreno 702" (something to do with one's adrenal glands?) I suspect it should be "Arduino", the popular nano-processor series. I think 702 is an error code.

I like many of the new Android-related features. However a gloved hand already can brush against my 740B screen with the cyclic stick full forward, like during pre-rotation phase before take-off. I suspect there is no room for a bulky Ram mount panel adapter, plus the new GPS attachment adapter, plus the thicker GPS body itself. Too bad for me.

Cobra,

I see the resolution was changed to 1280 x 800, but the nits spec of 800 is not changed, so less bright in newest model (?), nor is the CPU type valid.

Cobra,

I see the resolution was changed to 1280 x 800, but the nits spec of 800 is not changed, so less bright in newest model (?), nor is the CPU type valid.
Yes. The display is not as bright (800 nits vs 1100 nits, but 800 nits is still rather bright). Dunno what you mean by the CPU type not being valid. Regardless, iFly runs well on inexpensive Android tablets and tablets that are up to 10 years old.

I don't think AP/Walter would be offering the tablet for sale, and tying their name to it, if they thought it was a substantially inferior product to the previous 7xx devices. It is at least generally comparable, and also uses hardware and an OS that is not obsolete which gives it a huge step up over the 7xx's.

Yes. The display is not as bright (800 nits vs 1100 nits, but 800 nits is still rather bright). Dunno what you mean by the CPU type not being valid. Regardless, iFly runs well on inexpensive Android tablets and tablets that are up to 10 years old.

I don't think AP/Walter would be offering the tablet for sale, and tying their name to it, if they thought it was a substantially inferior product to the previous 7xx devices. It is at least generally comparable, and also uses hardware and an OS that is not obsolete which gives it a huge step up over the 7xx's.
OK. So let's just agree the new tablet hardware is 27% less bright then my 740B using the cited specs. I find my 740B display is marginal in direct sunlight, but I fly an open cockpit. YMMV. One might consider the ruggedized Tripltek tablet, offering a very bright 1200 nit display, also uses Android operating system. Drone controllers is another market for bright displays, and OLED technology.

As for the cited "Adreno" (?) GPU (Graphics Processing Unit?) in the new display tablet specs. Those truly familiar with modern computer hardware, would recognize if an "Arduino" computer system was given. But Arduino is not advertised to the masses, like "Intel Inside". If one has designed any embedded systems during the last two decades, they will know how the Arduino has revolutionized and simplified system design using standard building blocks. I am not a current computer system expert, but I suspect Adreno is a simple misspelling of Arduino. Pass it on.

Last edited:
Back