New state color on iFly EFB Data Manager screen

Gatormyk

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
When opening iFly EFB today on Windows and Apple, in the iFly EFB Data Manager map of the US, the states I have selected appear in a yellow color. I don't recall ever seeing yellow before and there is no legend item for yellow. What does a yellow color mean? I'm guessing it may mean that the data is close to expiring? If so, there probably needs to be an addition to the color legend above the map that currently describes the white, red and green colors.

1698687316465.png

My Windows instance was also all yellow today. When I clicked update, it downloaded the databases and airport diagrams. I think those were the out-of-date items.
I agree that adding this to the legend is needed.

Yellow has been around for some time (years). It appears during the short window when new data becomes available before the current data has expired. Downloading the data allows iFly to seamlessly transition to the new products when the current product expiration dates are reached.

Yellow has been around for some time (years). It appears during the short window when new data becomes available before the current data has expired. Downloading the data allows iFly to seamlessly transition to the new products when the current product expiration dates are reached.
Makes sense. However, if the yellow color has been around for years, then the legend has been out-of-date for years. It should be added to the legend. Would this be a feature request?

I'm curious about the details of how this works. If it is yellow and I update the database... are you saying the new database is saved but not visible and when the expiration date of the visible data expires, the saved data is loaded and the expired data is deleted?

Makes sense. However, if the yellow color has been around for years, then the legend has been out-of-date for years. It should be added to the legend. Would this be a feature request?
Agreed; I've never noticed that, but you're right. Seems like a Feature Request would be appropriate. Should be trivial for AP to fix.

I'm curious about the details of how this works. If it is yellow and I update the database... are you saying the new database is saved but not visible and when the expiration date of the visible data expires, the saved data is loaded and the expired data is deleted?
Yes. From p.12 of the Pilot Guide:

Data Cycles

The FAA data cycle is 28 days. Adventure Pilot will publish the next data cycle approximately one week prior to the activation date. Data downloaded during this period on a tablet or phone will be held in a “Preview” mode until the appropriate “go live” date, and the existing / current data will be utilized by the app. A restart of the app is required on the cycle activation date to ensure the new data is switched from the Preview to Active mode.

iFly GPS portable devices do not have the automatic preview & switch-over of data, the most recently published data will always be downloaded to the SD card. To maintain data cycle continuity for iFly portable devices a 2nd SD card may be used, and alternated as needed so the card with the currently live data is in the device.

Back