New to IFR ops with iFly EFB - Question about Clearance and Flight Plan

TC_G

Reaction score
I am looking for a pilot who routinely uses iFly EFB in IFR operations.

I have extensive IFR ops with two other software packages (provided for by the big companies I fly for). I have extensive use with iFly doing VFR operations in my Globe Swift. What I do not have is a lot of experience flying IFR with iFly.

And, I am having issues...

The first thing that is giving me a bit of grief is "seeing" easily, what I filed (vs what I was cleared) on the Flight Plan page. And yes, I am discussing this with Walter and his team. There has to be something I am missing and so I am asking for help.

In a recent flight (now that I am flying on the side in a Citation) from KLZU to KJAN I filed this:

KLZU GORGO V417 VUZ V278 IGB V245 MHZ ECESU KJAN

After I entered that flight plan, I was clear by ATC to file that plan.

When I went to "check" since it had been an hour or so and we did indeed fly 10 legs that day, it was not at all clear (my mind certainly wasn't) what I had entered in iFly. The flight plan simply showed:

KLZU
V417
V245
V245
ILS OR LOC RWY 16L
KJAN

The fixes of GORGO, VUZ, IGB, MHZ and ECESU are "hidden" behind the "non-expanded" display. Sure, I can, slowly, "expand" each airway and check the points, but, that is REALLY slow and cumbersome since it shows EVERY fix on that airway.

Is there some easier way to "see" my ATC Clearance/Filed flight plan? In other words, expanding the flight plan is too much information and non-expanded is too little information. Is there a way to get a partially expanded flight plan? (Could we create a 3rd level of "expand" mid-way between the two current levels?)

Again, new to using iFly in the weather. Looking for someone who has more experience then me to help me get up to speed with out getting violated!

I can be reached at [email protected]

Thanks!

Tom

Another question if anyone knows how to...

I want to add an airway to a point. I can do this from the Map View but wonder if there is a way to do this from the Flight Plan View?

Yes, in the example above, if I type in :

KLZU GORGO V417 VUZ V278 IGB V245 MHZ ECESU KJAN

The airways are entered.

But, if I had started by typing this:

KLZU KJAN

And now add GORGO using the insert way point before menu selection.

KLUZ GORGO KJAN

Is there someway to "click on GORGO" and see all the airways that come off of it?

I seem to remember a popup window with all the airways, once, a long time ago, but I no longer seem to be able to figure out how to do that.

Again, I am looking for someone who does serious IFR work I can ask some questions of.

Thanks!

Tom

Is there some easier way to "see" my ATC Clearance/Filed flight plan? In other words, expanding the flight plan is too much information and non-expanded is too little information. Is there a way to get a partially expanded flight plan? (Could we create a 3rd level of "expand" mid-way between the two current levels?)

I view my flight plan in 1800wxbrief.com after I file it from iFly. I do my briefing from there anyway, so it is easy for me to double-check the route. Hopefully, iFly will eventually enhance the in-app IFR capabilities. Meanwhile, it may require going to multiple locations.

Is there someway to "click on GORGO" and see all the airways that come off of it?

You can click on the waypoint past GORGO (KJAN), choose Insert Waypoint Before, type V. It will list all of the nearby Victor airways with V417 at the top. It isn't quite what you are asking for, but may be close enough.

1703990535479.png

Thank you for your prompt and useful replies.

Here is my e-mail address. If you like, please contact me, I have a few IFR related questions.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Tom

Back