NMEA Output..

To clarify your request... you're asking for iFly EFB to supply NMEA output on non-74x devices. Meaning: any tablet or phone or PC, running Android, iOS, and Windows? Just making sure the request is clear (and inclusive).

If so, count me a +1, and I "upvoted" it. Anyone else that wants this feature should upvote by using the up-arrow that's on the righthand side of the original post at the top of this thread.

[The reason I made sure to include "PC" in the list is that there are several panel-mount PC units available. If I was building a plane, I would use one of those versus trying to make a tablet work. They're meant to be mounted into a panel, they're more heat-tolerant, and a serial interface seems to be common on all of them.]

Last edited:
It would keep a lot of Ifly customers happy, otherwise they will leave for a different platform. UPVOTED !!

I'm for it, too. (I don't like Windows and Microsoft, though.)

I too would like to have NMEA output from the USB port on my Android or other device. Using the ILevil is not possible as my Wi-Fi is used with my FreeFlight ADS-B system. I would like to provide steering to a Super ECO A/P but can only do so with direct serial output wiring.

Absolutely! This would be a great enhancement

To bring a discussion from another thread over. I acknowledge the impact of trying to make this work on every piece of hardware available. It would be great if AP had a short list of devices they tested on and worked. If you want to go do something different, that is up to you. I have seen the iLevil solution and while innovative, not something I am interested in wedging into an already existing autopilot solution.

If you actually want to upvote this idea, go to the top of the thread and click on the "up" arrow on the right side of the original post:
1682706237660.png

I did click on the up button. Now that the 740b is not going to be available, how can I drive my autopilot with Ifly?

My concern also, driving my AP from my perfered iFly 740b. I actually want trf, wx and GPS EFB nav all on one device( presently using the wi fi on 740b for the trf and wx from Echo.

If you have a 720, 740, or 740b...just keep using it. iFly GPS on those devices is not going to stop working anytime in the foreseeable future. It's still in AP's best interest to continue providing data updates for those devices.

If you're concerned that your device itself may stop working, then your current options are to either buy a backup 720/740/740b (new devices have recently become unavailable, but they do pop up on eBay fairly often), or else use the tablet + iLevel AW solution.

I had a 740b but sold it when things like realplan were not available (only on the app) so switched to the app on a tablet.
Why stay with Ifly app any longer when stratus insight with Ilevil AP offers more, am I missing something? I do not need a separate ads-b receiver any longer, and would have full autopilot that functions as an independent system with redundancy to my control cable system, correct? Hoping for replies to confirm what I read online....I have not yet chosen my autopilot but will purchase and install a few months from now.

Why stay with Ifly app any longer when stratus insight with Ilevil AP offers more, am I missing something? I do not need a separate ads-b receiver any longer, and would have full autopilot that functions as an independent system with redundancy to my control cable system, correct? Hoping for replies to confirm what I read online....I have not yet chosen my autopilot but will purchase and install a few months from now.
iFly is not an ADSB receiver. You've always needed a separate device for ADSB-in to iFly. Yes, the iLevil device (either AW or AP) can replace whatever other ADSB receiver you had been using, but it doesn't replace your navigation app/charts/flight planning tool/ets. You still need something like iFly if you want your plane+autopilot to follow a magenta line/flight plan.

I don't know what plane you have, but the iLevil AP autopilot is not approved for certificated aircraft, only Light Sport and Experimental. Again, though, neither iLevil's autopilot product nor its panel displays include the full functionality of an EFB app like iFly. You still need an app like iFly to build your flight plan and send the commands to the autopilot to tell it where to go. That's why Levil has this page:

The first app listed is the "Levil Aviation App", but it's not a replacement for a full EFB like iFly. Note this description, which says, "...while using your preferred navigation app." You're still going to need iFly, or something like it.
1683285262400.png

iFly is not an ADSB receiver. You've always needed a separate device for ADSB-in to iFly. Yes, the iLevil device (either AW or AP) can replace whatever other ADSB receiver you had been using, but it doesn't replace your navigation app/charts/flight planning tool/ets. You still need something like iFly if you want your plane+autopilot to follow a magenta line/flight plan.

I don't know what plane you have, but the iLevil AP autopilot is not approved for certificated aircraft, only Light Sport and Experimental. Again, though, neither iLevil's autopilot product nor its panel displays include the full functionality of an EFB app like iFly. You still need an app like iFly to build your flight plan and send the commands to the autopilot to tell it where to go. That's why Levil has this page:

The first app listed is the "Levil Aviation App", but it's not a replacement for a full EFB like iFly. Note this description, which says, "...while using your preferred navigation app." You're still going to need iFly, or something like it.
View attachment 62
thanks very much for your insightful comments. I did not expect this full detail and appreciate your time.
Stratus Insight app would I believe replace my Ifly app and the Insight app is 10 bucks a month, it looks like a good substitute for Ifly.
And I can have ATC transcription with a Stratus audio cable....an flaws in this alternative? I have loved using Ifly for years, so intuitive.
Thanks again...

I don't know. I'm a long-time iFly user and know this product well. I don't use Stratus and know nothing about it (other than I think it only works with iPads, which I don't own).

If you're looking for a solution other than iFly, you should probably be looking somewhere other than on an iFly forum. 😉

Last edited:
As I understand, the early Stratus only worked with iPads. The Stratus 3 can be used with iFly dedicated devices, and OTS tablets and phones.

This is really bad. I recently completed a panel upgrade which included connecting the NMEA from the 740 to my new uAvionix AV-30s. Now I have a really nice HSI with all the GPS info available on the two new instruments. And now I have to hope the 740 keeps working.

I feel sorry for your situation. But this "sunsetting" of the 74x units has been public knowledge for a long while (12? 18 months?). Are you saying you just now heard this? If it makes you feel any better, they have committed to continue supporting them. But you won't be getting the new software bells and whistles. You actually haven't been getting any for a couple of years now, I believe. Not since the "Real Plan" feature came out. The horsepower in those units, and the limitation of the WinCE OS that runs on them, is just not adequate anymore.

Also, AP (iFly) is now exploring, to some degree at least, a way to obtain NMEA sentences via the USB port on Android and iOS devices. (That's probably not helpful to you, but I thought I'd throw that out there.)

Thanks Hook for the consolation. Since my business has been my focus for the past year and not my attention to the future of AP, yes...you are correct. This is the first I have heard of this. I have loved my iFly 740 (upgraded from 720) for years and, in fact, promoted it to friends. Now I'm a bit embarassed I have. Had I known, I would not have spent the time integrating the 740 with my new AV-30's. I would have been looking elsewhere. My Bad for not keeping up! The hardware is really good...but. I wish the AP crew the best but, as one who does not even own a tablet, I'm not sure where my VFR future lies.

Depending on your level of concern, you could acquire a backup. Here's what eBay has right now, for instance:

Had I known, I would not have spent the time integrating the 740 with my new AV-30's. I would have been looking elsewhere.
I know this isn't much consolation at this point but if your 740 dies you can hook your AV-30's up to one of the iLevil devices like the Astro, AW3 or AP boxes. The Astro is currently listed at $795.00.

I've had great luck with iLevil's equipment and love their support. I have an iLevil AP connected to an AV-30 and will use iFlyGPS to drive the heading bug and ground speed in the AV-30 and send course info to the auto-pilot.

They've added a new feature on the Astro:
1683749769463.png

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. The current system is working well: old Pathfinder ADS-B in (works flawlessly), wifi connected to the 740 and the 740 connected to both AV-30's. BUT...with everything happening, I'm trying to keep my options open for the future. If the 740 craps out, I guess the only part of the system I could keep is the serial hardwiring to the AV-30's.

Once again, thanks for the heads up on the iLevil stuff.

Rob

If the 740 craps out, I guess the only part of the system I could keep is the serial hardwiring to the AV-30's.
Or, you could buy a replacement 740 on the used market. Over time, they may become hard to find, but they've made frequent appearances on eBay for years, and that's not likely to just dry up overnight.

Tony...very true. Would be "cheap" insurance. At least cheaper than the alternatives. Nothing is cheap in aviation! Good solution as long as AP continues to provide data packages. Who knows how long that will be? Will they tell us?

Rob

I believe that I will just sit tight... I have 3 ea 740 units just in case... they do fail!
But, as you can see, there is quite a large number of folks asking for this feature to be added to a tablet USB port. It would foolish for the A/P staff to ignore this interest.

I am planning to install an AP in my current open cockpit project someday. It has limited panel space, so more than two screens is not going to happen I dropped the idea of iLevil components since they only support Apple devices, which I don't.
Current plan is GRT and iFly on a Tripltek tablet - sure would be nice to have an output to drive an AP!!!!!

Good solution as long as AP continues to provide data packages. Who knows how long that will be? Will they tell us?
I doubt AP currently has any idea when they'll no longer provide data for the 740. However, it doesn't seem likely to me that they will stop anytime soon. They've already got the infrastructure in place to provide the data...it's merely a matter of "turning the crank" when it's time to create new updates. And I think much of that infrastructure also supports the EFB product, so not only is there no rationale to get rid of that infrastructure, there's a compelling reason to maintain it going forward.

So...there's hardly any cost savings to be had in stopping 740 updates. There is still revenue coming in from 740 subscribers. And (I think) much of the infrastructure that makes the data update packages for the 740s is also used in making data update packages for the Android and iOS apps.

Hard to see how that adds up to 740 data going away any time in the foreseeable future.

I doubt AP currently has any idea when they'll no longer provide data for the 740. However, it doesn't seem likely to me that they will stop anytime soon. They've already got the infrastructure in place to provide the data...it's merely a matter of "turning the crank" when it's time to create new updates. And I think much of that infrastructure also supports the EFB product, so not only is there no rationale to get rid of that infrastructure, there's a compelling reason to maintain it going forward.

So...there's hardly any cost savings to be had in stopping 740 updates. There is still revenue coming in from 740 subscribers. And (I think) much of the infrastructure that makes the data update packages for the 740s is also used in making data update packages for the Android and iOS apps.

Hard to see how that adds up to 740 data going away any time in the foreseeable future.
Adventure Pilot approves of this response! :) As usual, @Cobra hits the nail on the head.

Since 720/740 users pay for subscriptions -- it makes all-around good business sense for us to keep all of these customers happy. As Cobra said, this data is very much the same (98% currently) as we will continue using for EFB. And "turning the crank" is easy -- Our data publishing process is very automated.

I just ordered the Aerocruze 100 autopilot for my Cessna 172.
Time for iFly to enhance the efb app to be able to link to my autopilot.

I don't believe that an adapter is needed ... the code is already there from the 720/740 units

The adapter that's needed would include physical connectivity conversion to get from USB-C (assuming use of a "modern" Android tablet) to RS-232 (or whatever the input is to your autopilot), plus any "USB to RS232" protocol conversion that might be required.

I'm not smart enough about either to confidently identify an appropriate adapter.

The USB to serial cable that the 7XX uses does just fine...

The USB to serial cable that the 7XX uses does just fine...
Then it must be as simple as plugging that cable into an Android device, right?

USB-C is different, both in form factor and in behavior.

I understand - some units use the std USB port while others use the USB-C port. Inexpensive breakout cables are available for both.

I see the iFly EFB app that runs well on my Galaxy TabA has an option under setup where you select NMEA and that provides the option for 6 or 8 different strings of data forms. I believe the std selection will make the software provide a data serial output capable of interfacing with my Trio. HOWEVER, the Tab A doesn't have the hardware. So the A/P problem may be as simple as find a tablet that 1 will run the EFB app AND 2. have a serial port that can be ported to the app. just my non programmer opinion. Anyone tried any experimenting with this

Last edited:
It already exists, the Tripletek 9PRO.. it has a dedicated charging pin port as well as USBc and HDMI. it also has a sustained 1300nit brightness. Amazon has it!

What's HDMI got to do with anything related to iFly??

Nothing, I was just making a point that there are other devices out there with many advanced features that would work well for this application.
Cobra, sometimes I get the impression that A/P is dead set against the idea of NMEA output. I do not understand this position. NMEA is by far the most requested feature. Aside from autopilot, most, if not all fuel computers require this data as well as the newer A/H and D/G units that are replacing the older vacuum driven units.

Last edited:
Cobra, sometimes I get the impression that A/P is dead set against the idea of NMEA output. I do not understand this position. NMEA is by far the most requested feature. Aside from autopilot, most, if not all fuel computers require this data as well as the newer A/H and D/G units that are replacing the older vacuum driven units.
Yes, @smoke , if we count all the times that you have posted about it, it's the most requested feature. There is definitely a small but very vocal cadre of users who are interested in this.

Back when the move to EFB was first announced (which included the news that the 7xx development would no longer be supported, which in turn telegraphed the news that the 7xx devices would eventually go away), I actually sat in a room with Walter and told him I thought there was going to be a lot of disappointment among current 7xx owners who used it to drive autopilots. I also thought it was an important market differentiator--no one else out there was supporting this feature.

Walter told me that the fraction of iFly users still using 7xx devices was very small compared to the number of phone/tablet users, and that he believed the effort to develop and support an NMEA solution for tablets was not likely to provide a return on AP's investment. He was particularly concerned about support--AP is a small shop, and they've had problems with problematic 3rd-party cables and devices sucking up all their support resources. At the time we talked, he said that he had not been able to identify a tablet solution that he thought would be reliable enough not to have support issues, and it just wasn't worth it from a business perspective. They also had all hands on deck working on the transition to EFB, and no bandwidth left over to explore other initiatives, like a NMEA hardware solution for tablets. (That last part, I think, is still true, even though the EFB ship is now sailing in a new direction.)

This has all been explained to you before, multiple times. I think it boils down to, "If it were simple, AP would have already done it by now." But it's not as simple as you think it is, at least from Walter's perspective.

This has all been explained to you before, multiple times. I think it boils down to, "If it were simple, AP would have already done it by now." But it's not as simple as you think it is, at least from Walter's perspective.
@Cobra, technically it is relatively simple. It is more of a business and support decision. We need to be clear here. Creating a serial message is something that is taught in the first or second semester of most computer science undergrad programs. The message payload is already created as it is sent to Levil devices over an IP Port as opposed to serial.

Looking at the new features category, it appears as if there 17 additional votes in additionto my ONE VOTE. This is not just for me, but for all of the other pilots that fly with there equipment pieces that require NMEA. Again, remember that you are only seeing a small sampling of the number of actual users. I know of 4 additional pilots/owners that use this setup that are not on this forum. And that is just on my field!

@Cobra, technically it is relatively simple. It is more of a business and support decision.
Yes, when I said "it's not as simple as you think it is", I meant the whole shebang, including the business case.

Last edited:
Looking at the new features category, it appears as if there 17 additional votes in attrition to my ONE VOTE. This is not just for me, but for all of the other pilots that fly with there equipment pieces that require NMEA. Again, remember that you are only seeing a small sampling of the number of actual users. I know of 4 additional pilots/owners that use this setup that are not on this forum. And that is just on my field!
Walter is aware of how many people are using 7xx devices. AP has metrics on what devices download data updates. That's how AP knows the relative numbers of 7xx users vs tablet/phone users.

Question for the AP programmers who know. Does the iFLy EFB actually support (have in it) the NMEA software that would drive a serial output, if there is in fact an existing tablet that has suitable hardware already installed ? I have both EFB and the 740b iFly program and see a number of differences in appearance and actually like the EFB better!!. .as for the ilevil option would guess the NMEA sentences for that output would be within the ILevil software. Also the iLevil option referred to, uses the wifi and would negate my Echo's traffic and wx frm ADSB In. Maybe ilevel would be in a better position to supply that " interface adapter"( soft or hard ware). They seem to be innovative enough. With an operative "interface adapter" you still need the EFB for flight plan. Walt , there's your opportunity to team up and support some new product developmemt .

Looking at the new features category, it appears as if there 17 additional votes in attrition to my ONE VOTE. This is not just for me, but for all of the other pilots that fly with there equipment pieces that require NMEA. Again, remember that you are only seeing a small sampling of the number of actual users. I know of 4 additional pilots/owners that use this setup that are not on this forum. And that is just on my field!
Question for the AP programmers who know. Does the iFLy EFB actually support (have in it) the NMEA software that would drive a serial output, if there is in fact an existing tablet that has suitable hardware already installed ? I have both EFB and the 740b iFly program and see a number of differences in appearance and actually like the EFB better!!. .as for the ilevil option would guess the NMEA sentences for that output would be within the ILevil software. Also the iLevil option referred to, uses the wifi and would negate my Echo's traffic and wx frm ADSB In. Maybe ilevel would be in a better position to supply that " interface adapter"( soft or hard ware). They seem to be innovative enough. With an operative "interface adapter" you still need the EFB for flight plan. Walt , there's your opportunity to team up and support some new product developmemt .
You might want to think twice about this auto pilot... it uses R/C model airplane servos and it is suggested to use glue to attach them to the surface. I have over 50 years of airline aircraft MX experience - I would never, nor anyone that I know would ever install this device on a manned aircraft!

Back