Passed my instrument check-ride !!

Tony4aro

Reaction score
HI All,

Just wanted to let everyone know, I passed my instrument checkride yesterday.... and I was using iFly. So, just wanted to let you all know about the questions asked during the test. Most of the students are using Foreflight, and so is the DPE.

1) He liked the flight plan I made from KJST to KTEB. and he like that I could show my alternate airport as a second landing. I discovered doing that... it would only file to the first landing spot, but could still see the added fuel burn for the second airport.

2) He asked how I knew if it was a "Legal" weather brief. I told him that I had accounts with iFly, and with 1800wxbrief. And the 2 systems linked. He also asked if the aircraft we were going to fly was "In the system". I told him it was. I showed him that I could file directly with the app. He seemed to like it.

3) When he asked me about the "T" and the "A" on the approach plate, I told him about non standard min or alt standards, so he asked me to show him. I pulled it up.... but he said flipping through pages (finding the airport) seemed "Fumbly" if we were in the plane flying. So... the DPE more or less said the same thing about the feature I was asking to get added. Having it open to the TPP page for the airport being looked at.

4) The final point was.... he asked me about the block C in the circling min's. I couldn't think of what it was. So I looked for a key or legend, and I couldn't find it. At that point we just skipped it, and after the check ride, I grabbed a paper TPP and looked it up. (It's a modification to the min's based on altitude) So... the question here is.... is the a set of legends inside of iFly and I wasn't just finding them? If not.... the DPE said they need to be added for safety. I guess inside of Foreflight, they are just a PDF that can be opened. (Along with the standard FAA publications)

The ride itself went well. It was a gusty bumpy day... and the DPE got CRAZY with the unusual attitudes. At that point i was getting nauseous from being tossed around being under foggles. On the final approach, i almost got to the point where I was going to tell him to take the controls so I could get a barf bag.... but he could tell I was not good, and said... "You just broke out". I was able to do the last few minutes without them. But, I was very green and shaking... and it wasn't my best landing. (very firm) But getting back to the hanger... he said.... "You were successful".

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Congrats on the new rating, Tony!!

Congrats on your new rating! I agree that fumbling to access some functions or information while in IFR is distracting. Especially in a plane without an AP.

Congratulations, Tony! Enjoy your new rating. I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your new freedom.

Back