PIREPS on the new iFly Tablet?

Tom

Reaction score
In December I asked if there were any PIREPS on the new iFly tablet and got nary a response. Can anyone share their impressions after using it a while? I want it to replace a Garmin 795 but before I rip out the panel mount on the Garmin to replace it, I'd like to get some feedback on the iFly unit. I've flown with the 740b for years and prefer it well over the Garmin.

I was thinking about the same thing... with the trade in program being announced, I wonder if the unit is selling at all?

Hello! Sorry for the late response on this, I'm trying to be more active on these forums as of recent. The new Aviation Tablet does not have PIREPS as it still uses the same software as the regular iFly EFB application on Android, iOS and Windows. This is something that's actually already on our feature request list and that we're looking to add in the future. The aviation tablet is still pretty new so there aren't many people who can give a proper testimony on it, but I would say it's like the 740b except it has a longer battery life at roughly 5 hours, runs our latest iFly EFB software, and has a much faster processor that makes it much easier and more satisfying to use.

That’s good to hear… How about the auto pilot integration? When will that be updated?

That’s good to hear… How about the auto pilot integration? When will that be updated?
That is the only thing holding me back from upgrading. The Autopilot integration is key.

That is the only thing holding me back from upgrading. The Autopilot integration is key.
Absolutely, that is completely reasonable. The autopilot integration is something that development is still working on at the moment. We'll be releasing this feature in version 13.1. Currently, we're just about to release version 13.0 and expect to release 13.1 about a month afterward.

So I guess we are left to speculation right now about how it well it works and integrates into the cockpit. I'm sure the tablet itself will be fine so that leaves, for me at least, the question of integration in the cockpit. One thing I just noticed is that the docking station uses a RAM mount. The tablet itself appears bulkier than the 740b so if you want to use the docking station, then you have the added volume of the mount along with the RAM mount arm. I understand also it's not recommended that you use a suction mount with the tablet meaning you need to mount it to to some rigid surface, presumably the panel. Someone did publish a solution to mounting the tablet in the forum last year. It looks like a good solution for a 172. Unfortunately it won't work in my Ercoupe. https://adventurepilot.community.forum/threads/ifly-efb-aviation-tablet-mounting-solutions.283/

Thank you! I guess that I misses it. Does anyone know if the NMEA will be for all devices or just the IFLY efb?

Same concerns as Tom, a bit bulky especially with the cradle which to my understanding will be required to access the NMEA output.. I had ask also without any response to couple questions regarding dimensions WITH cradle and can you rotate the cradle and unit 180deg and put the wires on top?? Most Androids will rotate to which ever side is UP. But dimensions with cradle is important to me.

I bought the new efb and I am very disappointed that I can't simply replace my 740 directly with this product. Its heavier and more bulky than the 740. There is no USB port to plug in my autopilot, that's a real negative for me. Can I send this back and have you send me a new 740B to replace it? I don't want to have to rewire my panel, just to update the display. I don't have the space for the backplate in my RV6A. I love your software, but this new tablet is just not right for my application.

STAN, As I understood it, the cradle support would be necessary for the wire connection to NMEA device. That why I have been holding off on purchase. I don't seem to be able to get anyone interested even in answering couple questions ie above post , or showing me the dimensions with the Cradle attached. Yes, I would like to hold one and see how that works on my panel. Space is limited and it would prob be RAM mounted like the 740b . I have purchased a Aero660 but it's Gizmo location in not in front. If I got to make major panel re arrangements, I ll just relocate the 660 and it already drives the NMEA AP device. I do like iFly product and I want to support them. Maybe they will step up.

STAN, As I understood it, the cradle support would be necessary for the wire connection to NMEA device. That why I have been holding off on purchase. I don't seem to be able to get anyone interested even in answering couple questions ie above post , or showing me the dimensions with the Cradle attached. Yes, I would like to hold one and see how that works on my panel. Space is limited and it would prob be RAM mounted like the 740b . I have purchased a Aero660 but it's Gizmo location in not in front. If I got to make major panel re arrangements, I ll just relocate the 660 and it already drives the NMEA AP device. I do like iFly product and I want to support them. Maybe they will step up.

Take a look at this thread. Scroll down and you'll find a pics of an iFly tablet cradle installation. It is bulky.

To be clear, the cradle comes with a RAM mount. If you already have one, all you need is the ball, assuming the RAM is securely mounted. The cradle comes with a hefty backing plate should you need to beef up the RAM mounts attachment to the airframe. As you can see from the photos in the thread linked above, I chose to recess the cradle in the panel to save space in the small cockpit. Since I'm building a new panel from scratch, that was not an issue. YMMV.

Take a look at this thread. Scroll down and you'll find a pics of an iFly tablet cradle installation. It is bulky.

Thanks Tom, some of the first pic I've seen of the cradle.installation. To. Would you place the efb in that cradle and place a ruler in vertical position and make a pic for me..?? Also have you determined if the cradle could be rotated 180 deg and everything still functions?? Ie wires on top. Please sent text pic if possible to seven seven zero 8 two three thirty 4 twenty six. Thanks D

This is Don - I'm the one who took the photos of the mount. I'm posting here so more people can see it. I've included the work I did on the panel to get it closer to flush.
Yes, you could rotate the mount 180°, but the spring loaded latch at the top could be loaded by the tablet. You would want a lock of some sort so the tablet does not fall out in turbulence. I'm going to fabricate a locking toggle since this is an open cockpit aircraft and I'd like the tablet to still be there after I come out of the FBO.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_134044412 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240414_134044412 (Medium).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240414_134155013_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240414_134155013_HDR (Medium).jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240414_134344576_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240414_134344576_HDR (Medium).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240414_135600782 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240414_135600782 (Medium).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240414_135620625 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240414_135620625 (Medium).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 8
I have been thinking about trading in my 740b, I never used it. I wondered how the new tablet compares to the ipad mini 6. Is the new tablet as fast as the mini and is the brightness better than the mini. I know in the specs they give numbers, but not a comparison. I have a mini, so with some comparison that would be nice. The mini is marginal in brightness, but very fast and I use it for my travel computer also. Another thing, I don't think all the features are available for apple, This unit looks very bulky, maybe necessary for cooling, the ipad will overheat.

This is Don - I'm the one who took the photos of the mount. I'm posting here so more people can see it. I've included the work I did on the panel to get it closer to flush.
Yes, you could rotate the mount 180°, but the spring loaded latch at the top could be loaded by the tablet. You would want a lock of some sort so the tablet does not fall out in turbulence. I'm going to fabricate a locking toggle since this is an open cockpit aircraft and I'd like the tablet to still be there after I come out of the FBO.
Thanks Don for the Dimensions and pic provided..

I would like to see a 90 degree connector and a pin out of that connector, not a big footprint. I would like the least amount of hassle to replace my 740. I like the new display, it is quick. and I understand the need for a display with a future, the 740s are dead meat for the planned features of the software improvements. Thats just my opinion.

Back