Please hide gas prices when panning the map

Cobra

Administrator
Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
One feature I really like about iFly is that if a map feature or piece of data is obscured by something iFly draws on top (route line, compass rose, etc.), you can pan the map a bit and (almost) all of those overlaid elements either disappear or are minimized, so that it's easy to see the base map layer unobstructed.

One notable exception to that behavior is fuel prices. These persist on the screen while the map is being panned, so if a price is obscuring map detail, there's no easy way to temporarily hide the price to read what's underneath it.

Please change the fuel price display behavior such that it disappears while the map is being panned.

One feature I really like about iFly is that if a map feature or piece of data is obscured by something iFly draws on top (route line, compass rose, etc.), you can pan the map a bit and (almost) all of those overlaid elements either disappear or are minimized, so that it's easy to see the base map layer unobstructed.

One notable exception to that behavior is fuel prices. These persist on the screen while the map is being panned, so if a price is obscuring map detail, there's no easy way to temporarily hide the price to read what's underneath it.

Please change the fuel price display behavior such that it disappears while the map is being panned.
Cobra: Know you know this, but why not just use the Fuel Prices checkbox in Map Mode? Unchecked makes them all disappear; pan for whatever you're doing, and re-check to see the prices again. Seems simple, but I may be missing your point.... :| If so, sorry :(

There were 2 points that he made. Firstly, the "sticky" fuel points were obscuring map detail. Secondly, this behavior was inconsistent with other overlay elements.

Your suggestion addresses the first issue but requires a minimum of 6 taps (Map Mode | Fuel Prices | Close, and then the opposite taps after doing the panning). That's a lot of unnecessary head-time in the cockpit, and also problematic in rough conditions.

There were 2 points that he made. Firstly, the "sticky" fuel points were obscuring map detail. Secondly, this behavior was inconsistent with other overlay elements.

Your suggestion addresses the first issue but requires a minimum of 6 taps (Map Mode | Fuel Prices | Close, and then the opposite taps after doing the panning). That's a lot of unnecessary head-time in the cockpit, and also problematic in rough conditions.
Agree, but wasn't thinking about Fuel Prices in cockpit. Flight Planning phase should have taken care of that, so 3 clicks 2 seconds. At least, that's the way i plan -- route, waypoints, fuel stops. Then I toggle them off to see the map(s) without the clutter. They aren't that accurate anyway, nor are the amenities listed under FBO. Have been to several now that say no courtesy car available, but it says yes on AirNav -- and there may even be more than one! AirNavs fuel prices also more accurate.

[darn, accidentally posted the reply to another thread here]

Last edited:
Cobra: Know you know this, but why not just use the Fuel Prices checkbox in Map Mode? Unchecked makes them all disappear; pan for whatever you're doing, and re-check to see the prices again. Seems simple, but I may be missing your point.... :| If so, sorry :(
Thanks, but that's more trouble than I want to deal with. As Hook points out, it takes several taps to toggle the fuel prices on/off. Most of the time, they don't bother me, and I generally like constantly seeing the prices around where I'm flying...helps me keep a finger on the pulse of fuel pricing. On the rare occasions when they obscure some detail, then if they blanked while panning per my request, then they wouldn't bother me at all.

Since blanking-during-panning would make them behave consistently with other map overlay elements, it seems like that would be AP's intended design, and they just made a mistake in omitting this one from doing that.

Back