Possible GPS ISSUE?

tbouchertx

Reaction score
Hi, I am using a trial of IFLY EFB 12.0.18 on an IPAD Pro10.5 in, OS 16.4.1. I also use a Bad Elf Pro with latest Firmware.

I am running into issues with the magnetic heading freezing up, track up not working, map freezing, no ETE or ETA. I have tried it on an A320 flight deck Up high at FL370 it gave all stated issues. Then suddenly when switching between approach plates, it unfroze and worked nice. I sat in the back of an A320 and it was the same scenario. Believing it was aircraft interference, I tried it in my vehicle with same freezing up. Each time I had many satellites (20+) locked in with a good signal. I use the GPS when crossing the ocean and it works well. So, I am leaning toward an interface issue with the app.

I have turned off my Bad Ef at altitude and no aircraft position was available until I turned it back on. In other instances, I have tried it without the Bad Elf and it seems to work then freezes. I have disabled location services but needed to turn back on for Bad Elf use.

IMG_0388.jpegIMG_0389.jpeg

Each of the above is a screen shot of the frozen state. I addition, different buttons also freeze up for a short period like the system is overwhelmed and trying To catch up. Any input appreciated. I like the app, but items above are essential for me. They need to work. Maybe I have some setting off or what not. I don’t know. Thanks

If you can easily duplicate the problem (you mentioned it happened in your car, for instance, which should be easy to do, but of course it would be best to do it in the cockpit where you intend to use it), you can maybe collect some data that could be helpful in troubleshooting, and then submit a bug report. Here are instructions for how to do that:

ADSB-in data logging is not enabled by default, so you will need to manually enable it. Go to Menu > About > Connected Devices > Select Wireless Device, and check the box for "Enable ADS-B Logger". When you close out of those windows, you should see a brief confirmation toast at the bottom of the screen that says, "ADS B Logging has started", or something similar. Then, proceed to duplicate the problem. If the problem is intermittent and doesn't take long to toggle between "it works" and "it doesn't work", try to catch a couple of those transitions and if possible, note the times that they occur so that you can include that info in your bug report.

Once you think you've captured enough data, you can go back to Menu > About > Connected Devices > Select Wireless Device, and uncheck the box for "Enable ADS-B Logger". (If you forget to do this, iFly will ask you if you want to continue logging ADSB data the next time you start the app, so you can halt it then, but you will need to stop logging/close the file either by unchecking the box or by exiting out of iFly for the log file to appear in the next step.)

To send the ADSB log in a bug report: Menu > About > Submit bug report > Select Log, and scroll to the bottom of the list where the "ADSB_*" file(s) are. (There may only be one ADSB file, in your case.) Select the file corresponding to the date/time of your data collection session, add any descriptive info to the body of the message (like the times when the GPS dropped out or came back online), and send.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll do that. I decided to try it in the vehicle like that because a comment from online support mentioned that the Airbus glass may have been too thick. I don’t get to fly GA enough, so vehicle it was. More to follow. Thank you.

FWIW, I've never had good luck getting the internal GPS in my Android phones or tablets to work as a passenger in coach on any airliner--it's very hard to get enough signal to get a fix, even holding the device next to the window. I figured security would have lots of questions if I tried to bring my home-built Stratux device on the plane, so I've never tried with an external GPS receiver...

I hear you. I was hoping to sit by the window on the way home last night, but I was on the aisle. Despite being aisle and not window, the bad elf had lots of satellites as it was just sitting on the seat next to me. If your device isn’t that big, you may consider trying that next time. Flight Attendants would have no idea whether it was a GPS, a phone or whatever.

I should have debug data in the next day or so. It is just very odd behavior. I will turn on the app and it will show whatever heading I’m facing at that point, and then it freezes. With or without external GPS. Anyways.. To be continued

As fate would have it on a trial/data log run, everything worked perfectly. So weird. I tested it driving in my vehicle. It did blink red the whole time but I suspect that has to do with a warning with towers or something like that. Very odd. Par for the course when trying to duplicate issues, lol.

It did blink red the whole time but I suspect that has to do with a warning with towers or something like that.
Not sure what "it" is. If you mean parts of the map, it was probably warning you that your altitude was too low.

“It” was the map and I am nearly positive what you mentioned, was the issue. As for no issues to replicate…. That is very good. Looks like no issues 😁

Last edited:
Back