Quick Tip - Transferring Flight Plans from iFly EFB to ForeFlight

midlifeflyer

Reaction score
I just came across the video on this subject (
).

My question is, "why?" I can see all sorts of reasons for transferring a flight plan from another source to iFly. The one that comes to mind is IFR since iFly doesn't do common/recent ATC routes - create the route elsewhere and import it in (or paste it if you ever get around to doing that long-requested feature).

I figure that since it's a beta feature, there must have been requests for it, but I can't figure out why anyone would use iFly as a planning tool for Foreflight. I'm even surprised by the idea that there are enough users of both programs to warrant it.

I have actually made a request for the reverse, as I have participated in charity events where multiple pilots were flying a defined circuit, and the .circuit was emailed out as a Foreflight flight plan file. I was the odd man out who had to manually input the waypoint lat/lon data.

But that implies a use for the other direction: Any iFly user who wants to share a flight plan with a friend who is a Foreflight user could use this feature.

I have actually made a request for the reverse, as I have participated in charity events where multiple pilots were flying a defined circuit, and the .circuit was emailed out as a Foreflight flight plan file. I was the odd man out who had to manually input the waypoint lat/lon data.

But that implies a use for the other direction: Any iFly user who wants to share a flight plan with a friend who is a Foreflight user could use this feature.
Yeah, but I think the type of use you describe is pretty limited. I don't even see much of it between student and CFI. So I still see far more use for import than export.

Not a big deal but it just struck me weird that transferring a flight plan to FF this was some kind of iFly feature priority

...create the route elsewhere and import it in (or paste it if you ever get around to doing that long-requested feature).
You're certainly right about "paste it"! And copy, too, of course. That alone would move iFlyEFB into the post-WinCE era--into the 21st century, that is. So far, everything AP has been doing with EFB--nice as it is--seems (to me) to exploit faster processing, not OS design philosophy. The first iPhone went on sale in 2007; the first iPad, in 2010. Copy & Paste was first released on iPhone in 2009--that's 15 years ago!

Here's an interesting story about bringing Copy & Paste to iPhone: iPhone copy & paste

(The first Android phone came out in 2009. Did it have copy & paste?)

Back