Single Click vs. Double Click in Map Mode

boisecrawfords

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
I noticed that single click and double-click do the same thing (data point info) in map mode. I would prefer that double-click zooms in, is this a setting or hard coded?

Um, well... in Apple Maps and GoogleMaps (on my iPad Mini 6), two taps zooms in and two two-finger taps zooms out. That would be nice in iFly, too.

Some of this stuff is being worked on and the beta testers get to play with it. AP is working hard to make improvements that the old portable hardware (the 700-series) wasn't capable of doing. But it's complicated and can't all be done overnight.

Well you asked for input.. my thought - not worried about iPad or Android gesture standards - rather what’s less likely to result in unintended actions in turbulence ?

My preference would be a single tap would select the item being clicked, i.e. traffic, airport, etc. Press-hold would bring up a list of airports/airspace near the selection point, sorted by distance from the location clicked, and double click would zoom in.

My preference would be a single tap would select the item being clicked, i.e. traffic, airport, etc.
That's how it works today, so you're good there.
Press-hold would bring up a list of airports/airspace near the selection point, sorted by distance from the location clicked,
The current press-hold behavior has been part of the iFly ops behavior since the first device was released, and changing it would be a pretty big deal. I would not be in favor of the change you propose.

That's how it works today, so you're good there.

The current press-hold behavior has been part of the iFly ops behavior since the first device was released, and changing it would be a pretty big deal. I would not be in favor of the change you propose.
Got it, I understand. So is the preferred method to just zoom in far enough so that when single clicking and trying to get a waypoint or airport that that would be selected (instead of just the lat/long)? Or maybe there could be a setting to turn lat/long selection on or off? It may just be me, but when clicking on the map I don't have a need for lat/long info, I am trying to select on a chart feature like airspace, airport, etc.

So is the preferred method to just zoom in far enough so that when single clicking and trying to get a waypoint or airport that that would be selected (instead of just the lat/long)? Or maybe there could be a setting to turn lat/long selection on or off? It may just be me, but when clicking on the map I don't have a need for lat/long info, I am trying to select on a chart feature like airspace, airport, etc.
Not sure what you mean. Single clicking/tapping doesn't ever get a waypoint (unless it's one of the waypoints in your flight plan), and the only time it gets a LAT/LON is if you single-tap someplace that isn't an airport or some type of controlled/restricted/alert airspace. Even in that case,
(Edit: Sorry; yes, tapping near a waypoint does get a waypoint. Disregard the above.)

It's not that the LAT/LON is expected to be so important--it's more just a label for the QV box. More importantly, the QV gives you options to add that point to your flight plan, or identify the nearest airport to that point, or get the weather from the nearest reporting station to that point.

But yeah, if you tap and for some reason iFly doesn't report the feature you're interested in, then that just means you're not tapping close enough to the feature you're trying to get. Zooming in so that you can tap with more precision is the correct action in that case.

Last edited:
Got it. Probably more of just a habit adjust. I can see value in the way it is structured...just need to retrain my old brain. (y)

Back