Speed Up the Downloads

Chad

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
Any way we could see an improvement in download speed? This is one of my better download rates. 32 Minutes to download 5 States (FL, GA, NC, SC, AL)
Before someone says it is your internet. I am sitting in the office (I know it is Sunday, but had a few critical events today) on a dual 10G connection to Verizon's metro backbone. I am connected via a 1G connection to my laptop. I am getting 947 Mbps down hitting Frontier's servers in Dallas, TX. I am accessing from Central FL. IMG_4431.jpg

That was beta. But I've never noticed a significant difference between them.

Which one were you on?

Last edited:
Where do you see the view of the download progress like those in your screenshots. Mine look like this:

1685383275296.png

Where do you see the view of the download progress like those in your screenshots.
You're using a tablet. Chad and I were using iFly Connect on a Windows machine to update the SD card for a 7xx device.

Last edited:
Any way we could see an improvement in download speed? This is one of my better download rates. 32 Minutes to download 5 States (FL, GA, NC, SC, AL)
Before someone says it is your internet. I am sitting in the office (I know it is Sunday, but had a few critical events today) on a dual 10G connection to Verizon's metro backbone. I am connected via a 1G connection to my laptop. I am getting 947 Mbps down hitting Frontier's servers in Dallas, TX. I am accessing from Central FL. View attachment 187
Is there a chance you might be constrained by the write speed of a very old SD card?

Is there a chance you might be constrained by the write speed of a very old SD card?
I've always had long download times with iFly. Just recently I resurrected a little Dell Windows 10 laptop with a hard drive and found that downloading maps was almost as slow as on the 740 and 740b. I didn't time it, but it was slow.

No, they are a mix, but plenty of RW speed. Even the slowest class 2 card has 2X write speeds above what I am seeing. Likewise I have tried a few different card adapters. Pretty consistent speed readings.
I have 3 SD cards that I keep current. Because my battery is dead, I corrupt cards often and have to rebuild them if I forget to manually power down the 740 before shutting down ships power. Hence the backups.

@Cobra what ISP are you using? Wondering if AP hosts using the same ISP and you are traversing the private network as opposed to the public network. The other guy that I know with a 740 locally sees the same speeds as I do and he is using a different ISP. I see it both on spectrum & verizon (home networks) as well as my companies network.

I have Comcast 250MB service at my house where I do my updates. I'm geographically closer (Houston<>Dallas), so maybe fewer hops/potential bottlenecks between me and them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My download speeds on my Windows PC (Ethernet connected) via Frontier FiOS is wicked fast. Downloads on my tablets (WiFi connected) via Frontier FiOS are noticeably slower than the Windows PC but still pretty good. I'm in the Dallas area (Plano, TX). I literally live within 100 yards of the Frontier central office.

It seems a like it would help if you could allow multiple download streams in parallel.

Back