TACs not loading with iFLYEFB?

pjoshyjosh

Reaction score
I have a new issue last few months. I have upgraded to iFLY EFB on my iPad and have noticed the Terminal Area Charts (Atleast the Portland one) does not load. my airport is within the TAC and so after departure if I want to see the sectional, I must zoom out. I USUALLY use my iPAD to zoom IN and my 740b to zoom out. the 740b has no issue with the TAC when I zoom in there.

The area of the TAC when zoomed in it turns pink with no features and says something 'no internet' --

That probably means your iPad is both offline and hasn't loaded that TAC. You can make it load that chart and any others when it's online and checking for updates. Then it should display the TAC when it's offline.

That probably means your iPad is both offline and hasn't loaded that TAC. You can make it load that chart and any others when it's online and checking for updates. Then it should display the TAC when it's offline.
Nah. I update regularly when home on the Wi-Fi. In the plane I’m on the ping network from my echo UAT.

Hah. Yeah, it happened on my iPad Mini 6 just now. I changed to airplane mode, then went to Portland OR and forced the TAC--and it was a blank green area. Then I switched airplane mode back off, and the TAC details appeared after a few seconds. BUT: in check for updates, ALL states were pink--and still are. Now I'll download charts... all states are green. Advanced Options--All data types, including TAC, are checked.

Aw, shoot. Forgot to go to airplane mode. Well, anyway, all of the TACs appear to be loaded. But I don't know when.

Last edited:
Hah. Yeah, it happened on my iPad Mini 6 just now. I changed to airplane mode, then went to Portland OR and forced the TAC--and it was a blank green area. Then I switched airplane mode back off, and the TAC details appeared after a few seconds.
Thanks! So that’s an app issue? My iPad is not cellular enabled btw

Hah. Yeah, it happened on my iPad Mini 6 just now. I changed to airplane mode, then went to Portland OR and forced the TAC--and it was a blank green area. Then I switched airplane mode back off, and the TAC details appeared after a few seconds. BUT: in check for updates, ALL states were pink--and still are. Now I'll download charts... all states are green. Advanced Options--All data types, including TAC, are checked.

Aw, shoot. Forgot to go to airplane mode. Well, anyway, all of the TACs appear to be loaded. But I don't know when.
Btw. I have nonissue on my iPhone 12. Only my iPad mini (which is new as of June. )

I saw similar-but-not-exactly-the-same behavior on my Android device. I downloaded data for Oregon, then turned on Airplane Mode to sever the Internet connection, and panned the map to Oregon, used the "three sheets" button in the lower-left to select "TAC", and zoomed in. If I zoomed in moderately and panned the map, I'd see the blank pink "No internet..." tiles where the TAC should be, but only for a couple of seconds before it would populate with map data. If I zoomed in far enough, the blank pink tiles would persist. (I am running beta version 12.3.2)

Here's a screen-cap video of what I saw: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Az5xmaMG1igKiypN6

I would recommend submitting a bug report.

I saw similar-but-not-exactly-the-same behavior on my Android device. I downloaded data for Oregon, then turned on Airplane Mode to sever the Internet connection, and panned the map to Oregon, used the "three sheets" button in the lower-left to select "TAC", and zoomed in. If I zoomed in moderately and panned the map, I'd see the blank pink "No internet..." tiles where the TAC should be, but only for a couple of seconds before it would populate with map data. If I zoomed in far enough, the blank pink tiles would persist. (I am running beta version 12.3.2)

Here's a screen-cap video of what I saw: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Az5xmaMG1igKiypN6

I would recommend submitting a bug report.
Yes! This is it. Looks like also happens seattle TAC

Yes, send a bug report--and you might add to it the URL for this discussion so they know that others have duplicated your experience.

Cobra's instructions are good. However, there's an alternative method, at least for iOS: make a screenshot, and when you go to save it to photos, it will ask if you want to submit it as a bug report. (This is an Apple Test Flight feature for betas.) AP didn't use to pay attention to screenshot reports, but now--apparently--they do. To be doubly sure, I'd copy any text you add to the screenshot and also include your name. That will allow you to submit it also as an internal iFly bug report if necessary. (It took me >6 months of following Apple's recommendations in vain last year to work that method out.)

Yes, send a bug report--and you might add to it the URL for this discussion so they know that others have duplicated your experience.

Cobra's instructions are good. However, there's an alternative method, at least for iOS: make a screenshot, and when you go to save it to photos, it will ask if you want to submit it as a bug report. (This is an Apple Test Flight feature for betas.) AP didn't use to pay attention to screenshot reports, but now--apparently--they do. To be doubly sure, I'd copy any text you add to the screenshot and also include your name. That will allow you to submit it also as an internal iFly bug report if necessary. (It took me >6 months of following Apple's recommendations in vain last year to work that method out.)
thanks for the replies! I have been iFly user for a while (8 years? -- i forget). Have used forums i the past? But had to reregister again. Anyway - glad to figure out I wasn't the only one. I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong to not see TAC for a few weeks now.

I had the same issue on my Android. Had to download the latest IFly from their site because it wasn't released in the Google store at that time. Once I updated to 12.2.26, the problem went away and it's been fine since.

Last edited:
I did submit a bug report. I have updated from app store the iflyefb app. Also updated iPad OS and also deleted oregon data and reinstalled oregon data (Portland TAC). Still have pink areas with 'no internet' when I zoom in and am not on internet (like how I fly - with echo uat Ping WiFI).

Mine was on my Android and there is a page on the Adventure Pilot Site with APK updates for Android that were not yet released into the Google Store so once I updated to that version, it cleared up. Clearly the problem is across platforms, the only thing I can reiterate is to be sure you have their latest version of IFly, which it seems you might have. This shows that it was included in their recent updates for IOS. It looks like version 12.2.24 included a fix that adressed this problem, and now they are up to 12.2.27. Hope you can figure it out. I discovered my issue when on a long cross country flight on my first trip from SoCal to Payson AZ. Like you and many others, I update everything on a regular basis, especially before a long flight, and it worked fine at home on an internet connected wifi, so it was a shock when I zoomed in to that level later in the flight and got that message. It would resolve itself if I connected to my phone as a hotspot and tried again. It only showed up when connected to a non-internet wifi...my Stratux. Kinda freaked me out.
Good Luck!

1695250278566.png

Attachments

• 1695250145361.png
    1695250145361.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm duplicating this symptom now on iFly EFB 12.3.3 -- and should have it fixed tonight for tomorrow's beta release. Looks like we might need to do an emergency patch release for all of our users, on 12.2.x

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, non cellular. Same issue, and not just TACs... any XC flight while connected to Stratus ESG/3i vs home internet, zooming in got pink tiles. Only way to get rid of them was to zoom back out to prior level. Kind of annoying when you want the detail. Will have to check to see if it still does this on next XC flight.

Downloaded Andrroid patch 12.2.34 to both phone and tablet however in both instances installation was cancelled due to a "parsing problem".

In addition since the new graphics downloads IFlyEFB occasionally shuts down in flight on both the tablet and phone.

Downloaded Andrroid patch 12.2.34 to both phone and tablet however in both instances installation was cancelled due to a "parsing problem".
Per Brian here, you'll need to uninstall the existing version of iFly before reinstalling 12.2.34 (which will require a re-download of data, unfortunately).

In addition since the new graphics downloads IFlyEFB occasionally shuts down in flight on both the tablet and phone.
That problem was present through 12.3.2, but has been fixed since 12.3.3 was released over the weekend.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, non cellular. Same issue, and not just TACs... any XC flight while connected to Stratus ESG/3i vs home internet, zooming in got pink tiles. Only way to get rid of them was to zoom back out to prior level. Kind of annoying when you want the detail. Will have to check to see if it still does this on next XC flight.
Just flew a long XC, MN>TX over two days.... no more problems with this issue. Thanks, iFly Team!!

Back