UAS Operations Area NOTAMS

Don Maxwell

Official iFly Beta User
Reaction score
It would be good for iFly to emulate a competitor's EFB that has recently begun announcing UAS ops:

IMG_9245.PNG

The LLWS notices might be good, too.

Good idea and upvoted! Would love to see this feature in iFly.

Right now I check Skyvector before flying in order to see the UAS areas near me and try to make a mental picture of the areas I might fly in to. Flying a seaplane has me down low near/in a lot of the UAS areas so it would be nice to see those areas while in flight.

Side question: has anyone seen a UAS drone show up on the traffic screen via ADS-B? What is the criteria for UAS to broadcast? The tethered balloon near me shows up as traffic (diamond symbol instead of triangle) but other than that I've only seen airliners, Navy training planes and other GA aircraft near me.

Tony

While I liked them initially, they are popping up everywhere. Almost as bad as drop zones. If you do, please make them easy to hide. There are 8 between Tampa and Lakeland right now.

IMG_0767.jpg

If you do, please make them easy to hide. There are 8 between Tampa and Lakeland right now.
Agreed. I can see this being a big deal for low-level flyers, but for folks flying point-to-point and climbing to >3000' cruise altitudes, these are going to just be clutter/noise everywhere except near the patterns around origin/destination airports.

Agreed. I can see this being a big deal for low-level flyers, but for folks flying point-to-point and climbing to >3000' cruise altitudes, these are going to just be clutter/noise everywhere except near the patterns around origin/destination airports.
Yes on being easy to suppress, similar to how I put the check mark for hiding SUA above 10,000'. Maybe an option to only show UAS zones when your altitude is below 1,500' or some other number or only show when they are within x miles distance. Clutter on the screen is as bad or worse than not having the information at all.

Tony

Agree - I’d like to have the areas depicted, but I also want to able to easily turn off the UAS display.

Back