Winds Aloft

tbouchertx

Reaction score
I have run the Briefing for flight plans and the winds aloft section seems very outdated and archaic. It looks like the “FB” Table model is used. A newer model presents more accurate information and is easier to read. Is the FB format what IFly uses?

More on winds aloft... The winds simply do no align with the altitudes. Any advice on how to correctly identify winds at filed altitude, 8500'? Is this a matter of counting spaces and entries? Is there a setting where the display can be adjusted so as to show the winds aligned? Really trying to maximize the use of a paid subscription and not have to use multiple sites, but I keep running into road blocks in regards to odd ways the App presents info as well as a high learning curve for what should be fairly intuitive. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5218B6F793E1-1.jpeg
    IMG_5218B6F793E1-1.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 5
More on winds aloft... The winds simply do no align with the altitudes. Any advice on how to correctly identify winds at filed altitude, 8500'? Is this a matter of counting spaces and entries? Is there a setting where the display can be adjusted so as to show the winds aligned? Really trying to maximize the use of a paid subscription and not have to use multiple sites, but I keep running into road blocks in regards to odd ways the App presents info as well as a high learning curve for what should be fairly intuitive. Thanks for any help.
The winds aloft table from the briefing is also difficult (impossible) to read in Windows and my phone. Looks like a display size and parsing issue.

Here's a work around that might help:
  • Leave the flight plan and get back to the map
  • click Map Mode button
    • select Hi-Res Winds - a dragable window will pop up that lets you set the time and the altitude for the wind barbs, adjust as needed to see the winds along your intended flight path - personally I think this view is much easier to interpret than trying to visualize it from the winds aloft table
    • click map mode again, turn on the check mark for Metar/TAF then click the gear icon and select TAF Visual forecast - this pops up another window with its own time slider. As you move the slider the icon for any airport that provides a TAF will change color to reflect the forecast flight category. Note that the time slider for the TAF and Hi-Res winds are not synced so you'll have to adjust each individually.
Tony

Thanks. You're right, that is a nice visual. Nice tool

More on winds aloft, I would really like to be able to use the functionality and features that IFly has to offer. I remember when looking at the compare EFB part prior to purchase, IFly indicated that it offered more features than Fore Flight. May be true, but I find much of it difficult to use, Learning curve is steep. I like the large buttons, the large fonts and I think IFly is correct in marketing that. I can accept the antiqued feel of the app with smoothness and the look. I personally want the features to be useful and not just there.

That brings me to the winds aloft piece. I would really like to use the whole briefing to include winds aloft, (a log would be great). Compare the 2 pics. Both have the similar old feel, but one is useable. Is there a way to make the winds aloft feature useful? Are there plans? Leidos is a superb free product. If they offered an EFB, they would potentially have a complete product. I would like to use the full features of the paid for IFly app.

IMG_0694.pngIMG_0693.jpeg

I agree that the winds aloft data via a briefing in iFly EFB is basically unusable primarily due to the way things align, but also how on smaller screens the text wraps making it even more difficult to read. A table with borders that didn't wrap would be ideal. I wonder if it was presented in a monospaced font (like courier) it would help. Perhaps turning off the text wrap which would require us to scroll left and right to see the entire data.

I have found that if I tap on an airport, select the WX tab, click on the "Wx Info..." button and then select the "Winds" radio button, a more readable format at that station and at nearby stations is presented. It looks good on tablets, too. This could be a good workaround while we wait for AP to acknowledge this issue and work on a fix. Here is an example of what is presented in Windows:

1698204683821.png

That is a superb technique. I tried it out and clicked for Weather on a wave point. The nearest airport was selected, and when I selected wins, it gave me a similar screen as to what you attached. Multiple airports with winds along the route of flight. I really wish this could be incorporated into the weather Brief. That being said, this works great. Thanks so much.

I agree that the winds aloft data via a briefing in iFly EFB is basically unusable primarily due to the way things align, but also how on smaller screens the text wraps making it even more difficult to read. A table with borders that didn't wrap would be ideal. I wonder if it was presented in a monospaced font (like courier) it would help. Perhaps turning off the text wrap which would require us to scroll left and right to see the entire data.

I have found that if I tap on an airport, select the WX tab, click on the "Wx Info..." button and then select the "Winds" radio button, a more readable format at that station and at nearby stations is presented. It looks good on tablets, too. This could be a good workaround while we wait for AP to acknowledge this issue and work on a fix. Here is an example of what is presented in Windows:

View attachment 464
I learned something new today! Thanks for sharing Gatormyk! It even looks good on my android phone.
Tony

Thanks, Gatormyk! Great tip!

It would be a great suggestion for AP, too. All they really need to do is have it show the winds at airports all along the route listed in a Flight Plan, instead of at local airports, as it does now.

Last edited:
Back